Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,068 Members 48,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New to flashing - Basic questins

Tip us?

flyoffacliff
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] New to flashing - Basic questins

This forum is really big and I am new. I apologize if I am asking this in the wrong place. I have been reading a lot about how android working, and serving Google for answers.

I always thought that the only way to hard brick a device was to erase or corrupted the bootloader. Since even if the ROM and recovery had problems, you could use fastboot mode to fix things.

Now I am reading that Roms ussualy include a kernal, and flashing a kernal can lead to a hard brick. Does this apply to the Nexus 7 2012, or just devices that use download mode/ODIN instead of fastboot?

I always thought of a boot loader like an i intersection where you normally keep driving strait (into the main rom), or turn left (into recovery), or stay at the intersection (fastboot). How does a kernal tie into this? Do all Roms include their own kernal, or are different kernals and Roms usually flashed sepretly?

Thank you for helping me to understand this better.

flyoffacliff
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone?

If I posted this in the wrong place or something, please let me know.

Thank you

philos64
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2640
Location: Somewhere between sky and sea in Brittany - XDA Assist Place

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyoffacliff View Post
This forum is really big and I am new. I apologize if I am asking this in the wrong place. I have been reading a lot about how android working, and serving Google for answers.
I always thought that the only way to hard brick a device was to erase or corrupted the bootloader. Since even if the ROM and recovery had problems, you could use fastboot mode to fix things.
Now I am reading that Roms ussualy include a kernal, and flashing a kernal can lead to a hard brick. Does this apply to the Nexus 7 2012, or just devices that use download mode/ODIN instead of fastboot?
I always thought of a boot loader like an i intersection where you normally keep driving strait (into the main rom), or turn left (into recovery), or stay at the intersection (fastboot). How does a kernal tie into this? Do all Roms include their own kernal, or are different kernals and Roms usually flashed sepretly?
Thank you for helping me to understand this better.
Waouh...a lot of questions for one post.
You have several things to do.
Before if you don't know all functionalities of Android go to read these pages => xda Wiki
After, all you need for your N7 wifi (2012) it's here => Google Nexus 7

You need a lot of time for reading and learning and finally you will be happy for using your device with pleasure
Good luck

XDA Assist is the place where you can get help finding your way on XDA. This is not a support forum !!!
Click and go to XDA-Assist
DONT PM ME FOR QUESTIONS RELATED TO ROM, Ask in thread, it's better for all members- THANKS

Actual Devices : HTC One M8 - HTC One M7 //Google N7 Wifi - Google N7 2013 LTE
Retired Devices :HTC Hero-HTC Desire Z-HTC Desire S-HTC One X- N7 3G - Asus TF300T