Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 54,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot boot to Recovery anymore.. always goes to Download mode

Tip us?

davey.lad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Cannot boot to Recovery anymore.. always goes to Download mode

I'm currently running @Danvdh / @ktoonsez Google Play Edition on my S4 (I9505 jfltexx) .. and have been for a while. Since they've just released a new CM based rom I was going to give it a shot. So, first things first I went to reboot into recovery to do a backup of my current ROM.

However, instead of recovery mode I end up in download mode. Figuring I'd pressed the wrong option on the advanced reboot menu I rebooted and tried again. Ended up in DL mode again. It doesn't matter what method I used to try and get to recovery I can't... it constantly goes to DL mode. I used to be able to get to revocery without a problem (TWRP).

My question is, is this a common occurance and would reflashing TWRP (using Nandroid Manager - the way I did it originally) fix my problem.. or is there a more fundamental issue at play here. For what it's worth Nandroid Manager detects that i'm running TWRP 2.7.0.1 already

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Just try to reflash it with Odin.

Or you could try entering it from the terminal:

su
reboot recovery
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v3.0

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3

davey.lad
Old
(Last edited by davey.lad; 28th May 2014 at 03:40 PM.) Reason: update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988 View Post
Just try to reflash it with Odin.
I would but I'm concerned there may be an underlying issue that would potentially brick my device if i tried a reflash. How can it be that it suddenly won't reboot into recovery anymore when previously it did ?

update:

I've just tried your sugestion via terminal emu which has the same result unfortunately. However, I noticed that after entering the su command it returns root@jgedlte in the command prompt. I would have expected this to be root@jfltexx right? I'm assuming now that flashnig the Google Edition ROM has changed what my device is reporting itself as ? (forgive me me if I'm talking bollocks at this point.. I'm just guessing)

So, now if I flash the twrp that already have (for jfltexx) will this cause a problem ?

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,840
If I had to guess, and I'm just shooting in the dark here, but this sounds like an error in the ROM. And I'd bet that changing the rom solves the problem.

What happens if you try to reboot into Download mode? Does it go to Download mode? The only time I've experiences this, download and recovery were reveresed in the ROM I was using. So trying to boot to 1 always gave me the other. So I'd try to reboot into Download mode and see if that puts you in recovery.

If all else fails, use Odin to return to stock. It will not brick your phone because of this.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

NetaA
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey.lad View Post
I've just tried your sugestion via terminal emu which has the same result unfortunately. However, I noticed that after entering the su command it returns root@jgedlte in the command prompt. I would have expected this to be root@jfltexx right? I'm assuming now that flashnig the Google Edition ROM has changed what my device is reporting itself as ? (forgive me me if I'm talking bollocks at this point.. I'm just guessing)

So, now if I flash the twrp that already have (for jfltexx) will this cause a problem ?
Sounds to me like you are already running a jftexx recovery with a jgedlte ROM. That probably is the source of the problem - Since the rom replaces the entire system, it also replaces the basic stats the device has about itself. If the Google Play edition is different in hardware, I would suspect it would also damage the kernel function (for example by asking an amount of ram the phone does not have).

I would just install a jftexx rom. These things are pretty sensitive when it comes to versions.

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetaA View Post
Sounds to me like you are already running a jftexx recovery with a jgedlte ROM. That probably is the source of the problem - Since the rom replaces the entire system, it also replaces the basic stats the device has about itself. If the Google Play edition is different in hardware, I would suspect it would also damage the kernel function (for example by asking an amount of ram the phone does not have).

I would just install a jftexx rom. These things are pretty sensitive when it comes to versions.
The google version is the same hardware. Its the same device with a different rom installed. The google rom is totally interchangeable with other s4s. All it is is an aosp rom.

This is not his problem.

Sent from your phone. You should be more careful where you leave that thing.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

NetaA
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
The google version is the same hardware. Its the same device with a different rom installed. The google rom is totally interchangeable with other s4s. All it is is an aosp rom.

This is not his problem.

Sent from your phone. You should be more careful where you leave that thing.
Alright, thanks for the info.
Since I'm not really familiar with the process of getting into recovery mode, the help I can offer is limited.
Good luck

davey.lad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the updates guys.. sorry about the delayed reply - been on holiday.

In the end I just used Nandroid Manager to reflash the original twrp.img that I had.

Sorted. Guess I was worried about nothing.

cheers