Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,637 Members 40,101 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't boot into any recovery, phone still works

Tip us?

apefist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Sign [Q] Can't boot into any recovery, phone still works

After looking through some of the threads, I think I have a slightly unique situation.

I got my S4 through swappa, and it was already on MK2. I rooted using motochopper and installed safe strap, and that worked (when booting, I could get into the options screen mess with stuff, etc). I didn't install any ROMS since there weren't any I was interested in besides cyanogenmod

In my attempt to install cyanogen mod, I tried installing another recovery, I think TWRP. That earned me the unlocked symbol when booting, and I was stuck in a weird boot loop for a while. I started researching flashing a clean ROM onto my phone, but lo and behold, it actually fixed it's own boot loop and started up again.

That was a month or two ago, before the NC5 4.4.2 update. I decided since it had resurrected itself I would just wait for a bit and see what other tools came out.

After the 4.4.2 update came out, I ignored it for a bit. I tried installing the OTA update once and it went through it's song and dance and after it rebooted it said it couldn't complete the update so nothing was changed. I assume that is because it's rooted? I didn't really force uninstall any apps, I just disabled them through the included app manager.

So where I'm at now is I'm still on MK2, I can't install the OTA update, everytime I reboot my phone I get the unlock symbol and it says "Recovery Booting..." in blue letters at the top, but it never boots into any sort of recovery.

I have tried installing safe strap again and the safe strap app says "State: Installed" but when I reboot it says that recovery booting thing, and then just boots into the regular phone. I don't see the safe strap logo or button options at all.

Where can I go from here? Ideally I'd like to get on a custom ROM that's on the rootgalaxys4 website (it won't let me post links) but I don't know if I have the MDK bootloader, or even what my recovery situation is.

If anyone could help shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated!

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 804
Install phone info from play store. ..If you have mk2...bootloader and firmware I have no idea how you got a cm base rom loaded....As for taking an OTA. ..you have to be 100% stock...no root..nothing frozen.

sent by bajarom v2.2 kitkat
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

apefist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Install phone info from play store. ..If you have mk2...bootloader and firmware I have no idea how you got a cm base rom loaded....As for taking an OTA. ..you have to be 100% stock...no root..nothing frozen.

I actually don't have a CM base rom loaded, sorry if I made it sound like that. I am still on 4.3 stock w/ root. I wanted a CM ROM, and it seemed like I couldn't do it through safe strap so I tried to put TWRP recovery on there and I got boot-looped (which ended up fixing itself). Now I am trying to figure out how to get a recovery on there, and what my ROM options are (if I can get to 4.4.2 rooted, I would be happy).

I got the phone info program, is there any specific info you wanted off of there?

It says bootloader version I545VRUEMK2, baseband is same

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by apefist View Post
I actually don't have a CM base rom loaded, sorry if I made it sound like that. I am still on 4.3 stock w/ root. I wanted a CM ROM, and it seemed like I couldn't do it through safe strap so I tried to put TWRP recovery on there and I got boot-looped (which ended up fixing itself). Now I am trying to figure out how to get a recovery on there, and what my ROM options are (if I can get to 4.4.2 rooted, I would be happy).

I got the phone info program, is there any specific info you wanted off of there?

It says bootloader version I545VRUEMK2, baseband is same
Your ONLY option for recovery is Safestrap. You can ONLY install Touchwiz based Roms.

There are a lot of threads in the General and Development sections you should check out before you go any further. I would link them for you, but I'm on my way out. Good luck.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

apefist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
Your ONLY option for recovery is Safestrap. You can ONLY install Touchwiz based Roms.

There are a lot of threads in the General and Development sections you should check out before you go any further. I would link them for you, but I'm on my way out. Good luck.
OK, well then my current problem is even though I have the safestrap app installed, and the program reports safestrap recovery as being installed, I can't access it. There is no safe strap screen while booting or button options, and even if I do the forced boot into recovery (press power+vol up+home at the same time and hold until you see the "Recovery Booting" message) it just boots to the normal phone every time.

Also worth noting is for every boot, no matter how i start it, it says "Recovery booting" at the top, but never boots into recovery. I have tried uninstalling safe strap recovery through the safe strap app and re-installing but it is the same thing.

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1539

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
After looking through some of the threads, I think I have a slightly unique situation.

I got my S4 through swappa, and it was already on MK2. I rooted using motochopper and installed safe strap, and that worked (when booting, I could get into the options screen mess with stuff, etc). I didn't install any ROMS since there weren't any I was interested in besides cyanogenmod

In my attempt to install cyanogen mod, I tried installing another recovery, I think TWRP. That earned me the unlocked symbol when booting, and I was stuck in a weird boot loop for a while. I started researching flashing a clean ROM onto my phone, but lo and behold, it actually fixed it's own boot loop and started up again.

That was a month or two ago, before the NC5 4.4.2 update. I decided since it had resurrected itself I would just wait for a bit and see what other tools came out.

After the 4.4.2 update came out, I ignored it for a bit. I tried installing the OTA update once and it went through it's song and dance and after it rebooted it said it couldn't complete the update so nothing was changed. I assume that is because it's rooted? I didn't really force uninstall any apps, I just disabled them through the included app manager.

So where I'm at now is I'm still on MK2, I can't install the OTA update, everytime I reboot my phone I get the unlock symbol and it says "Recovery Booting..." in blue letters at the top, but it never boots into any sort of recovery.

I have tried installing safe strap again and the safe strap app says "State: Installed" but when I reboot it says that recovery booting thing, and then just boots into the regular phone. I don't see the safe strap logo or button options at all.

Where can I go from here? Ideally I'd like to get on a custom ROM that's on the rootgalaxys4 website (it won't let me post links) but I don't know if I have the MDK bootloader, or even what my recovery situation is.

If anyone could help shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated!
This is really hard to follow.

You can't root MK2 with motochopper, only MDK. Try installing the "Phone INFO *Samsung*" app from the app store to figure out what bootloader and baseband you actually have.

You can't install an OTA update if critical system files are modified, so you'll need to re-flash to a stock ROM to do that. But if it's really MDK, you do not want to allow any OTAs to upgrade your bootloader.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

apefist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
This is really hard to follow.

You can't root MK2 with motochopper, only MDK. Try installing the "Phone INFO *Samsung*" app from the app store to figure out what bootloader and baseband you actually have.

You can't install an OTA update if critical system files are modified, so you'll need to re-flash to a stock ROM to do that. But if it's really MDK, you do not want to allow any OTAs to upgrade your bootloader.
Ah, ok, I did the root a while ago, so I think I mixed up which one I had used, I believe it was SafeRoot via this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758

Someone earlier suggested installing the phone info app above, so I checked it and it says I545VRUEMK2 for both bootloader and baseband.

The OTA update thing was just me trying to provide as much info as possible, I don't really want to do the OTA update because it seems like it removes root, and there is no good way to get it back on NC5.

At this point I would like to install some kind of rooted ROM, but I can't get into any sort of recovery. Safe Strap says it is installed but I can't boot into it.

Would the next step be to reflash a stock recovery? Is there some way to do that?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 804
Quote:
Ah, ok, I did the root a while ago, so I think I mixed up which one I had used, I believe it was SafeRoot via this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758

Someone earlier suggested installing the phone info app above, so I checked it and it says I545VRUEMK2 for both bootloader and baseband.

The OTA update thing was just me trying to provide as much info as possible, I don't really want to do the OTA update because it seems like it removes root, and there is no good way to get it back on NC5.

At this point I would like to install some kind of rooted ROM, but I can't get into any sort of recovery. Safe Strap says it is installed but I can't boot into it.

Would the next step be to reflash a stock recovery? Is there some way to do that?
Installing safestrap is a 2 step process. Did u do both steps?

so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

apefist
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Installing safestrap is a 2 step process. Did u do both steps?

If the two steps are:

1: Install the safestrap app (v3.71)

2: Go into the app and install the recovery.

In the app the recovery is listed as "Installed"

gigilie
Old
Thanks Meter 583

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If the two steps are:

1: Install the safestrap app (v3.71)

2: Go into the app and install the recovery.

In the app the recovery is listed as "Installed"
ok buddy you want to upgrade i take it?

click on the thread in my signature and download the 1st file listed called the COMPLETE PACKAGE it has everything you need.

you'll start tho by reflashing MK2 system through Odin then rerooting via Saferoot then reinstall Safestrap. Then the 4.4.2 ROM you want to use then reboot to Odin/Download mode and flash any of my NC2/NC5 1 File Upgrade packages. This is the easiest and most simplistic way to help you get to where you want to go. This will also keep your bootloaders at MK2 and your KNOX intact at 0x0! THE COMPLETE PACKAGE has all the modules, safestrap, supersu ect then if you have any questions the guys or me in the thread will help u. altho if you really do have CM running on your phone take screenshots I've tried porting to work with 4.3 and altho i can get two AOSP roms working I've never gotten close with CM it needs a custom kernel which is something we cannot use with our locked bootloader. only AOSP/GE Roms that will work for 4.4.2 or 4.3 are ones that are compatible with the stock 4.3 or 4.4.2 kernels theres a thread in the development section for that subject as well.