Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question about weather

Tip us?

rogerperk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Question about weather

New user and I've figured out some stuff but I'm still learning. Tried Glance and am currently using Canvas but one thing I can't seem to get is the weather. It differs on every app I use and is seldom the same as what is showing on my phone. I'd like to get an accurate weather forecast! How do I do that? Are there apps that do weather that I can use outside the 'stock' ones. I have an analog face I'd like to keep but without the weather I'm not so sure.

rogerperk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
OK. Seriously? Is there an embargo on answering weather questions? Some taboo I'm not aware of? Cuz I can't get an answer to save my life! Anywhere!

Chahk
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Weather will differ on every app because of several variables:
  1. The apps may be using different sources for weather (e.g. Yahoo, Google, AccuWeather, Weather Channel, etc.) Each service has slightly different data. Even on your phone if you install different weather apps, they will seldom agree 100%.
  2. The refresh period may be set to a long time (e.g. 2-3 hours) to prevent battery drain, and hence you will not get up-to-date information. Some watch apps give you ability to configure this, while others use a hard-coded interval.
  3. Some apps allow you to specify a Zip code, or latitude/longitude coordinates, but most simply use your phone's approximate location to retrieve local weather data. Your location will be inaccurate most of the time, since the apps usually avoid using GPS to once again avoid draining the phone's battery, and instead use cell/WiFi triangulation. This is why sometimes you may even be getting weather data for a different city.

Weather in general is not an exact science, so an "accurate forecast" is a pipe dream.
Galaxy S4 GPe (I9505G/jgedlte) - Stock (4.4.4), rooted, Xposed. Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.7.
Moto X GSM (SIM-unlocked) - stock 4.4.3.
Acer A500 tablet - ROM: OmniROM 4.4.2 V12 | Recovery: TWRP-based REV 2.0 beta2
LG G Pad 8.3 GPe (V510) - stock 4.4.4.
Pebble Steel - ROM: stock 2.3.
Amazon Fire TV - stock.

rogerperk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chahk View Post
Weather will differ on every app because of several variables:
  1. The apps may be using different sources for weather (e.g. Yahoo, Google, AccuWeather, Weather Channel, etc.) Each service has slightly different data. Even on your phone if you install different weather apps, they will seldom agree 100%.
  2. The refresh period may be set to a long time (e.g. 2-3 hours) to prevent battery drain, and hence you will not get up-to-date information. Some watch apps give you ability to configure this, while others use a hard-coded interval.
  3. Some apps allow you to specify a Zip code, or latitude/longitude coordinates, but most simply use your phone's approximate location to retrieve local weather data. Your location will be inaccurate most of the time, since the apps usually avoid using GPS to once again avoid draining the phone's battery, and instead use cell/WiFi triangulation. This is why sometimes you may even be getting weather data for a different city.

Weather in general is not an exact science, so an "accurate forecast" is a pipe dream.
Understand that. The apps I'm using all use one of two weather programs (Yahoo or OPenweather), you can set the refresh interval (I use one hour). You can choose My Location but I think that's not working the way it should. You can also put in geo coordinates but I'm trying to not get locked into a fixed location if I can. And if you use geo's they are only going to go to the nearest reporting node. I don't want accurate as much as consistent. Where I work is always 5 degrees hotter than where I live. It's also possible the app doesn't work as well as it should.

Absent of any suggestions I guess this will be "the annoyance" for me. Everyone's gotta have one!