Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,402 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Permanently disable HW Overlays?

Tip us?

Jersey846
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 202
Default [Q] Permanently disable HW Overlays?

So I recently gave up on the M as it had started to give me real problems lately. Random reboots (to the M logo), constantly not recognizing the SD card (tried 2 different ones) and the dreaded long wait for KitKat (that has seemingly been a flop from many of the reviews I've read).

Will be keeping the M as an emergency backup as it served me very very well for 2 yeas. But the one obnoxious issue I've had for some time is the fact that I've had to go into developer options and disable HW Overlays each time I do a reboot. (I'm on AOKP 4.2.2 with the screen tearing) Would love to just somehow automate that if possible. Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my Droid Razr M

kabaldan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey846 View Post
So I recently gave up on the M as it had started to give me real problems lately. Random reboots (to the M logo), constantly not recognizing the SD card (tried 2 different ones) and the dreaded long wait for KitKat (that has seemingly been a flop from many of the reviews I've read).

Will be keeping the M as an emergency backup as it served me very very well for 2 yeas. But the one obnoxious issue I've had for some time is the fact that I've had to go into developer options and disable HW Overlays each time I do a reboot. (I'm on AOKP 4.2.2 with the screen tearing) Would love to just somehow automate that if possible. Anybody have any ideas?
Disabling HW overlays cripples your device performance.
Better switch to CM11 nightly or M snapshot - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Moto_msm8960_Info , the tearing issue has been fixed a long time ago - https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...8b80bae35aa433 .

Jersey846
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabaldan View Post
Disabling HW overlays cripples your device performance.
Better switch to CM11 nightly or M snapshot - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Moto_msm8960_Info , the tearing issue has been fixed a long time ago - https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...8b80bae35aa433 .
I appreciate the advice but I have simply tried way too many roms. All of which were disappointing in their own individual ways and all had far inferior battery life to AOKP 4.2.2. I'm just not willing to sacrifice the battery life at this point. Nor do I really want to go to the trouble of flashing another rom. I don't think I'll ever flash a custom rom again. Just always ended up not being worth it.

But i read somewhere that someone successfully edited the build prop (which I have no experience with) that automated disabling hw overlays. I never experienced any diminishing in performance. Hopefully someone has a way. Thanks though.

Sent from my Moto X

b0uncyfr0
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Wow really. I went from basically all custom roms back to Jb and then KK. Enable ART and tell me this phone isn't still awesome. Just as smooth as any premium phone out currently.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Motorola XT907 Droid Razr M
Kernel: Kit-kat 4.4.2
Rom: Kit-kat & Xposed
The Following User Says Thank You to b0uncyfr0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jersey846
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0uncyfr0 View Post
Wow really. I went from basically all custom roms back to Jb and then KK. Enable ART and tell me this phone isn't still awesome. Just as smooth as any premium phone out currently.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The phone had always been amazing till recently with the random reboots then getting stuck on the M logo screen and the major SD card issues.

What is ART exactly and what is the difference between it and default. If I change it do I need to do a backup first? What ROM are you running?

Sent from my Moto X