Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Permanently disable HW Overlays?

OP Jersey846

4th June 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #1  
Jersey846's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 208
 
716 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
So I recently gave up on the M as it had started to give me real problems lately. Random reboots (to the M logo), constantly not recognizing the SD card (tried 2 different ones) and the dreaded long wait for KitKat (that has seemingly been a flop from many of the reviews I've read).

Will be keeping the M as an emergency backup as it served me very very well for 2 yeas. But the one obnoxious issue I've had for some time is the fact that I've had to go into developer options and disable HW Overlays each time I do a reboot. (I'm on AOKP 4.2.2 with the screen tearing) Would love to just somehow automate that if possible. Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my Droid Razr M
4th June 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #2  
kabaldan's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 3,424
 
1,434 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey846

So I recently gave up on the M as it had started to give me real problems lately. Random reboots (to the M logo), constantly not recognizing the SD card (tried 2 different ones) and the dreaded long wait for KitKat (that has seemingly been a flop from many of the reviews I've read).

Will be keeping the M as an emergency backup as it served me very very well for 2 yeas. But the one obnoxious issue I've had for some time is the fact that I've had to go into developer options and disable HW Overlays each time I do a reboot. (I'm on AOKP 4.2.2 with the screen tearing) Would love to just somehow automate that if possible. Anybody have any ideas?

Disabling HW overlays cripples your device performance.
Better switch to CM11 nightly or M snapshot - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Moto_msm8960_Info , the tearing issue has been fixed a long time ago - https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...8b80bae35aa433 .
4th June 2014, 02:17 AM   |  #3  
Jersey846's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 208
 
716 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabaldan

Disabling HW overlays cripples your device performance.
Better switch to CM11 nightly or M snapshot - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Moto_msm8960_Info , the tearing issue has been fixed a long time ago - https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...8b80bae35aa433 .

I appreciate the advice but I have simply tried way too many roms. All of which were disappointing in their own individual ways and all had far inferior battery life to AOKP 4.2.2. I'm just not willing to sacrifice the battery life at this point. Nor do I really want to go to the trouble of flashing another rom. I don't think I'll ever flash a custom rom again. Just always ended up not being worth it.

But i read somewhere that someone successfully edited the build prop (which I have no experience with) that automated disabling hw overlays. I never experienced any diminishing in performance. Hopefully someone has a way. Thanks though.

Sent from my Moto X
6th June 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #4  
b0uncyfr0's Avatar
Senior Member
Sydney
Thanks Meter: 16
 
225 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Wow really. I went from basically all custom roms back to Jb and then KK. Enable ART and tell me this phone isn't still awesome. Just as smooth as any premium phone out currently.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to b0uncyfr0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #5  
Jersey846's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 208
 
716 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0uncyfr0

Wow really. I went from basically all custom roms back to Jb and then KK. Enable ART and tell me this phone isn't still awesome. Just as smooth as any premium phone out currently.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The phone had always been amazing till recently with the random reboots then getting stuck on the M logo screen and the major SD card issues.

What is ART exactly and what is the difference between it and default. If I change it do I need to do a backup first? What ROM are you running?

Sent from my Moto X
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes