No registration required

why you should NOT turn s-on!

OP scotty1223

1st June 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 97

464 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat

You do know that you can simply remove root right? Open the su app and go to settings. Click the full unroot option.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I know you can do that. but I'm not sure what else was modified so I just dumped the partition myself.

That's just how I am, if I can do it myself and know that its right, then that's what I'll do. Plus we've seen Dag use that an go back to s-on and it didn't work.

Jcase told me how he did it so that's what I did, minus the s-on step.
1st June 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #52  
Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa
Thanks Meter: 1,353

3,038 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuccia

I know you can do that. but I'm not sure what else was modified so I just dumped the partition myself.

That's just how I am, if I can do it myself and know that its right, then that's what I'll do. Plus we've seen Dag use that an go back to s-on and it didn't work.

Jcase told me how he did it so that's what I did, minus the s-on step.

In the case of that ruu nothing else is modified. Just su installed.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to dottat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 97

464 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat

In the case of that ruu nothing else is modified. Just su installed.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

I had originally planned on going back to s-on so I wanted to start with an entirely stock ROM/firmware and use temp root to lock the bootloader.

You are correct though... I just downloaded your RUU, extracted the system.img file and compared it to my partition dump. The only differences are the files related to root. I also verified that all of the files are removed when you use the 'Full unroot' option in SuperSU.

Thanks for making that RUU by the way, its a great resource to have since VZW/HTC are trying extra hard to prevent an RUU leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to scuccia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd June 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #54  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,418

2,339 posts
another optiuon worth exploring to restore everything to 100% stock would be to simply dump mmcblk0(not mmcblk0px)

that dumps everything in one big huge file. in theory.restoring it later would fix every last little detail that had been modded. on m7,you may need a 64gb phone to do it. on m8,youll have to dump that to an external sd,as its larger than what the phone storage can hold.

be aware that its a very slow process,and your phone isnt hung,so resist all urges to unplug,lick,or pester it

i personally dumped all partitions individually,then the big dump right after s off,with su installed but everything else untouched.
3rd June 2014, 12:59 AM   |  #55  
Thanks Meter: 28

198 posts
Scotty, could there be an implementation of this in some fashion? Perhaps a more complete RUU than dottat's (excellent) efforts?

Have keys ever been leaked such that custom RUU's could be built and then signed? This would alleviate S-ON issues, as a signed RUU could be regardless of status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1223

another optiuon worth exploring to restore everything to 100% stock would be to simply dump mmcblk0(not mmcblk0px)

that dumps everything in one big huge file. in theory.restoring it later would fix every last little detail that had been modded. on m7,you may need a 64gb phone to do it. on m8,youll have to dump that to an external sd,as its larger than what the phone storage can hold.

be aware that its a very slow process,and your phone isnt hung,so resist all urges to unplug,lick,or pester it

i personally dumped all partitions individually,then the big dump right after s off,with su installed but everything else untouched.

3rd June 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #56  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,418

2,339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhamba

Scotty, could there be an implementation of this in some fashion? Perhaps a more complete RUU than dottat's (excellent) efforts?

Have keys ever been leaked such that custom RUU's could be built and then signed? This would alleviate S-ON issues, as a signed RUU could be regardless of status.

Dottats ruus are as good they get,for being home made. M7 has an official,decrypted ruu which is literally no different and yet this problem still exists.

One could certainly dd mmcblk0,then dd it back in efforts to restore to stock,but with a vzw device there's always that risk as long as they're keeping devices off the unlock list.

No keys have ever been leaked that I am aware of. HTC employees lose their jobs over things like that

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
3rd June 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #57  
Thanks Meter: 28

198 posts
Holy Crap! Thank god I flashed my M7 with the signed RUU before getting warranty service. I can't imagine a signed RUU resulting in a *tampered*. But I'm glad you posted this thread - it makes me realize that getting safely back to S-ON isn't simply a guaranteed thing, though it's often discussed as if it is.

I would think that HTC employees could lose their jobs for leaking RUUs but that still happens, no? Then again, what the hell do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1223

Dottats ruus are as good they get,for being home made. M7 has an official,decrypted ruu which is literally no different and yet this problem still exists.

One could certainly dd mmcblk0,then dd it back in efforts to restore to stock,but with a vzw device there's always that risk as long as they're keeping devices off the unlock list.

No keys have ever been leaked that I am aware of. HTC employees lose their jobs over things like that

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

6th June 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #58  
Thanks Meter: 64

378 posts
I'm sending my phone to HTC for one time cracked screen phone replacement. Should I just relock the device and leave soff??

My All New One
6th June 2014, 06:56 PM   |  #59  
Thanks Meter: 6

47 posts
More
So if I have an M8 with S-on would I be able to do that and restore another M8 with S-off? If so what is the correct syntax for ADB?
6th June 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #60  
Flag Zurich (Switzerland)
Thanks Meter: 30

343 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike33

I'm sending my phone to HTC for one time cracked screen phone replacement. Should I just relock the device and leave soff??

My All New One

You might want to read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2767547

And, in particular, this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=20

Long story short: HTC is showing to be very picky in the US with the Advantage program, and refusing to repair screens for free even if you just unlocked the phone. However, the guy there had the screen repaired for free being 100% stock but S-OFF. Which doesn't mean that you will for sure, but is encouraging.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread