XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.3 Dialer

Tip us?

ForeverZ3RO
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] 4.4.3 Dialer

Just wondering if there is any way to get the 4.4.3 dialer on my Note 3. Unfortunately, I'm not rooted and already on 4.4.2 so rooting is out.
I really like that dialer, or even the 4.4.2 AOSP dialer will work. Can one of these be installed without root? I can't stand the TouchWiz Dialer.
Thanks for the help in advance.

pudgedaddy
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 5
No not without root. The dialer app is written to either /system/app or /system/priv-app which would both require root access to modify or replace with another.
Rooted Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ForeverZ3RO
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgedaddy View Post
No not without root. The dialer app is written to either /system/app or /system/priv-app which would both require root access to modify or replace with another.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Just wondering though, how is it all of the Play Store "Dialer apps" work?
Can't the 4.4.3 AOSP just be configured like that or something?
Thanks.

pudgedaddy
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverZ3RO View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
Just wondering though, how is it all of the Play Store "Dialer apps" work?
Can't the 4.4.3 AOSP just be configured like that or something?
Thanks.
No well some dialers in the play store require root and some may not and just replace your stock dialer. Well not replace, just will give you the option to choose it. Kinda like how you can have multiple launchers and when you press the home button (assuming you haven't set one as a default) it will ask you which launcher you want to use. The same thing happens in certain situations when you have Skype installed. When you want to dial a phone number from let's say a link in chrome or the default browser, and if you have skype installed, it will ask you which program you wish to use to dial the phone number.
Rooted Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

bgs_piece
Old
Thanks Meter 14
What if I were on 4.4.2 and am rooted? Where can I find the proper files and what would I do to replace them? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Currently Using Samsung Galaxy Note 3

airmaxx23
Old
Thanks Meter 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgs_piece View Post
What if I were on 4.4.2 and am rooted? Where can I find the proper files and what would I do to replace them? Thanks for any help you can offer!
I've messed with it a bit and can't get it working on a rooted device, I've tried a few different methods.
*** Please don't forget to hit the "Thanks" button if someone has helped you ***

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine"
The Following User Says Thank You to airmaxx23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
4.4.3, dialer, no root