Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Recovering files from corrupted microSD

OP odaibasha

24th May 2014, 10:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
I bought a SanDisk Ultra 32gb microsd card to use it with my Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 several months ago, I've been using it with no hassle for a while now. Few days ago, my device stopped recognising the card, as if it didn't even exist. So what I did was insert the microsd into my laptop using an adapter, and I could see all the files intact and safe. The problem is, I cannot copy the files off the card, it's like it keeps disconnecting every about 10secs, once a copy or move operation starts, it goes about 10% and then stops, forcing me to cancel the operation, and sometimes it doesn't even start. The files are there, i can view them, i just cannot copy them. I want to copy the files off in order to format the microsd card to be able to use it again.

Another major problem is, files and complete folders are disappearing! I lost my photos folder and all my music folder (luckily i have a backup of those).

I have read somewhere that SanDisk manufactured faulty 32gb cards, and i get to return it and get a replacement, but i bought it from Amazon and i shipped internationally, it will be very cost inefficient to return it. Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Free mobile app
25th May 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
Well, I am not really sure about flash deives but if a hdd shows a behaviour like this, most of the time one or more sectors are corrupted and need to be remapped. You could try chkdsk on your card.

Sent from my RAZR M using XDA Free mobile app
26th May 2014, 12:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor411

Well, I am not really sure about flash deives but if a hdd shows a behaviour like this, most of the time one or more sectors are corrupted and need to be remapped. You could try chkdsk on your card.

Yepp tried that, it said it found some errors and that it fixed them, same problem though.

28th May 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
Well, try the tools on ultimate boot cd. I dont recall the names but these tools helped me a few times.

28th May 2014, 12:15 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
similar issue
Hi,

am facing similar problem on my SD card, i have been using this card as ext2 and fat32 dual partition mode and now suddenly the files from fat32 partitions are getting deleted, tried chkdsk and it did repair some bad sector but i am still facing the issue.

any suggestions or should i just replace my sd card.

thanks in advance.
7th June 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
This might be a bit late but I'm just posting so that others having the same problem can benefit from this.

After the described problem above happened, I gave up on retrieving the files on the card after many many failed attempts in various ways (copying individual files, backing up the card, used some 3rd party apps) but nothing seemed to work.
So I went ahead and formatted the card to FAT32 using my laptop, copied a few songs to it and it seemed to work well. Few hours later, the same problem happens. I tried using the exFAT format, did the same with different songs (to rule out the songs themselves being corrupted), but still had the same problem few hours later. My last trial was formatting it to FAT32 but using my galaxy S4 this time, and with no surprise, the same problem persisted. At that stage I gave up on the card.

I contacted SanDisk support using the live chat feature on their website, before I told him my problem, I asked him to check if my card has the new firmware or not (they manufactured some faulty cards and blamed it on the old firmware they used). He told me it did have the new firmware, and then I realized that my card was corrupted beyond repair. He asked me for some information to ask for a replacement. I didn't replace it because shipping it back would cost a lot, but id you're living in the states then just replace it.

On another note, I am not going to buy another SanDisk card, I will be trying samsung cards as they seem to have very good reviews.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread