MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] How to Block OTA Updates & Keep Root + Unlock

OP v1ncent

3rd June 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I am running my Nexus 7 2013 Wifi Only w/4.4.2 unlocked and rooted thanks to Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit and was wondering 2 things:

1. With the new updates rumored to soon be coming to our devices, I'd like to block any updates to 4.4.3 until I can find a way to keep root and unlock (probably will wait for Wug to update his toolkit). Is there a way to block my N7 from receiving updates until I'm ready for them?

2. Is there a way to receive the 4.4.3 update when it rolls out and keep my N7 rooted & unlocked?

Thanks.
4th June 2014, 02:59 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Wow, I thought someone here would have the answer to block OTAs at least. But hey, I totally appreciate the lack of "I don't know" posts that plague other boards.
4th June 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #3  
GedBlake's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 401
 
663 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ncent

Wow, I thought someone here would have the answer to block OTAs at least. But hey, I totally appreciate the lack of "I don't know" posts that plague other boards.

Hi, v1ncent...

First off, your question properly belongs on the Nexus 7(2013) forum... and not this one.

Secondly, your sense of entitlement to an immediate fix to your problem is likely to irk and irritate many who may try to help you. Your original posted question is less then 24 hours old. Give people a chance!

Thirdly, did it occur to you, that the reason for a lack of a response with regard to blocking OTA's is because it might not have a solution... or that people might not have one.

Often, when I look at a posters problem, and I think "How can I help this guy?; What do I know that might assist him/her?"... and I'll turn the problem over and over in my head... looking at it from every angle... and hopefully I'll come up with something; it might not be much, but at least it's something.

But if I have nothing, then I post nothing.

Anyhow... I actually had a response prepared, which I was just about to post, just before you posted your sarcasm infused post.

Here it is (...and for what it's worth)...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ncent

I am running my Nexus 7 2013 Wifi Only w/4.4.2 unlocked and rooted thanks to Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit and was wondering 2 things:

1. With the new updates rumored to soon be coming to our devices, I'd like to block any updates to 4.4.3 until I can find a way to keep root and unlock (probably will wait for Wug to update his toolkit). Is there a way to block my N7 from receiving updates until I'm ready for them?

2. Is there a way to receive the 4.4.3 update when it rolls out and keep my N7 rooted & unlocked?

Thanks.

Hi, v1ncent...

With regard to blocking OTA updates... I have read about an app called FOTAKILL, which apparently blocks OTA's, but I've never used it myself... and so can't really comment on it. . Do a bit of Googling around about it.

With regard to your second point... (and I'm extrapolating here, from my knowledge of how the older Nexus 7 works)... an OTA update will cause your device to become unrooted, and you'll also loose any Custom Recovery (CWM/TWRP) you have installed... but your Nexus 7's bootloader will remain unlocked... unless you explicitly relock it yourself, usually with the fastboot oem lock command.

So, yeah, you'll have to re-root after the OTA.

Hope this helps.

Rgrds,
Ged.
Last edited by GedBlake; 4th June 2014 at 04:31 PM.
4th June 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
GedBlake: thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated! I will check on FOTAKILL. From what I have read after asking my question here is that there is some talk that paying for SuperSU to keep root may work in regards to keeping root from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3. I will try to delay updating if I can, but if I can't I think someone will come up with a simple procedure to root 4.4.3 after updating.

I love xda; the people here are FANTASTIC in coming up with new approaches to all manner of needs, so much so this is one of the few times I ever had the need to ask a ?, usually after searching I always find an answer.

Secondly, in regards to the first part of your reply - wow you couldn't have possibly misread my post more. I'm glad despite doing so you were nice and helpful in the second half. Everyone has a bad day, no worries man. I was actually glad that here, despite many other places when people have no solution they don't reply. I meant every word of my post, no hidden meanings. I'm glad despite the misread you still helped out; it's appreciated.Thanks!
Last edited by v1ncent; 4th June 2014 at 05:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to v1ncent For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #5  
GedBlake's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 401
 
663 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ncent

GedBlake: thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated! I will check on FOTAKILL. From what I have read after asking my question here is that there is some talk that paying for SuperSU to keep root may work in regards to keeping root from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3. I will try to delay updating if I can, but if I can't I think someone will come up with a simple procedure to root 4.4.3 after updating.

I love xda; the people here are FANTASTIC in coming up with new approaches to all manner of needs, so much so this is one of the few times I ever had the need to ask a ?, usually after searching I always find an answer.

Secondly, in regards to the first part of your reply - wow you couldn't have possibly misread my post more. I'm glad despite doing so you were nice and helpful in the second half. Everyone has a bad day, no worries man. I was actually glad that here, despite many other places when people have no solution they don't reply. I meant every word of my post, no hidden meanings. I'm glad despite the misread you still helped out; it's appreciated.Thanks!

No problem...

I think I've found FOTAKILL...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1998378

Don't know how well it works, but it might be worth checking out.

Rgrds,
Ged.
4th June 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

No problem...

I think I've found FOTAKILL...

Don't know how well it works, but it might be worth checking out.

I agree! I will check it out and let you know if it worked, thanks!
4th June 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #7  
GedBlake's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 401
 
663 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ncent

"...there is some talk that paying for SuperSU to keep root may work in regards to keeping root from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3..."

Yeah, it's called Survival Mode...

...in SuperSU Pro (paid-for version) settings, there's a checkbox option to enable Survival Mode... and when ticked, this message appears...

SuperSU will actively attempt to keep superuser access, even across OTA updates

Don't know how well this feature works... I just re-root via TWRP after an OTA... so I've never had cause to use it.

------------------------------------------

Apologies for my rather brusque post earlier... it was uncalled for.

Rgrds,
Ged.
Last edited by GedBlake; 4th June 2014 at 06:24 PM.
7th June 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Thumbs up
Quote:

I just re-root via TWRP after an OTA

Cool -- perhaps I will just do that now that I know an OTA shouldn't re-lock my bootloader.

Quote:

Apologies for my rather brusque post earlier...

No worries we all have days like that; thanks again for the help. BTW after thinking and researching it some more, I have blocked OTA right now on my N7 by using a program called Autorun Manager from the FOTAKILL thread you pointed me to. Thanks again!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes