Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cannot Root. Need help!

Tip us?

HD2FORNICK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default Cannot Root. Need help!

I installed the KK ROM wit the TOT method and then rooted the phone and installed the CWM recovery as an apk. Now when I go into SU, it says I am not rooted. I tried 2 methods to root but unsuccessful. It boots into CWM recovery and then nothing. Do I need to reinstall the OS with the TOT method again? Any ideas?

jdk2
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2FORNICK View Post
I installed the KK ROM wit the TOT method and then rooted the phone and installed the CWM recovery as an apk. Now when I go into SU, it says I am not rooted. I tried 2 methods to root but unsuccessful. It boots into CWM recovery and then nothing. Do I need to reinstall the OS with the TOT method again? Any ideas?
This method works perfectly: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...68&postcount=1
After root, use this to get the correct recovery: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...05&postcount=1
Once the phone boots into the UI, use Freegee to install the latest recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdk2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HD2FORNICK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
This method works perfectly: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...68&postcount=1
After root, use this to get the correct recovery: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...05&postcount=1
Once the phone boots into the UI, use Freegee to install the latest recovery.
Tries and doesn't work. It goes back to my CWM recovery and does nothing. Thanks.

luisoman2000
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Tries and doesn't work. It goes back to my CWM recovery and does nothing. Thanks.
flash the hacked twrp. that gets me out of cwm bootloop.
Pantech Burst
Rooted and Gizmolord 3.0 (sold!)

Xperia Ion
Running Aoba_PureBlack_Ultimate Privacy(sold! Really miss it though)

Lg Optimus G(AT&T) (Sold 2 of em so far, expecting my 3rd)
Running EG8 Rom

Samsung Galaxy S
(loaner from a friend-retured)

BLU Dash 4.0 (JB 4.2 version)
Holding me off till i get my G pro. Loaned it to my bro while he fixes his S3

Lg optimus g Pro(finally!!)
Running Radeonmaya's Kitkat

mk3
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Same problem here phone was rooted and then installed CWM and for some reason lost root. Its not a CWM bootloop.

When the root step requires "Apply Update from ADB" I cannot because CWM doesn't have that option.
"Abracadabra Holmes"
-Cal Naughton, Jr.

HD2FORNICK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
Same problem here phone was rooted and then installed CWM and for some reason lost root. Its not a CWM bootloop.

When the root step requires "Apply Update from ADB" I cannot because CWM doesn't have that option.
I got bad news bro. I had to re TOT the phone and start from scratch. There is a CWM 6.0.4.4 floating around causing this issue. The phone loses root but it constantly boots into CWM when trying to root.
The Following User Says Thank You to HD2FORNICK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HD2FORNICK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default ROOT achieved, now need recovery!

OK, so I had to re TOT and get the phone back to factory state with 4.4. Then I was able to root successfully and now I am wondering how and which recovery to use. Could someone please post a link to Philz recovery and can I flash it with the same root toll with ADB sideload? THanks.

mk3
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Ok I figured out how to get root back on my phone! Yay!

Run the same F240 root tool as usual, it will reboot phone into CWM recovery but you can't choose "apply update from ADB" so instead pick INSTALL ZIP, then choose INSTALL ZIP FROM SIDELOAD. Press any key on computer to load root files then at next step in CWM choose GO BACK, then choose REBOOT SYSTEM NOW. At next step in CWM will ask "Rom may flash stock recovery on boot. F1 This can not be undone." here I choose NO. Phone will reboot and root is restored. I think before I was scared and chose YES on this step and that's what lost my root.

Root Check Basic and SuperSU both show I am rooted and back to okay.

"Abracadabra Holmes"
-Cal Naughton, Jr.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mk3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HD2FORNICK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
Ok I figured out how to get root back on my phone! Yay!

Run the same F240 root tool as usual, it will reboot phone into CWM recovery but you can't choose "apply update from ADB" so instead pick INSTALL ZIP, then choose INSTALL ZIP FROM SIDELOAD. Press any key on computer to load root files then at next step in CWM choose GO BACK, then choose REBOOT SYSTEM NOW. At next step in CWM will ask "Rom may flash stock recovery on boot. F1 This can not be undone." here I choose NO. Phone will reboot and root is restored. I think before I was scared and chose YES on this step and that's what lost my root.

Root Check Basic and SuperSU both show I am rooted and back to okay.

Ok so i need a custom recovery such one did you use. I need one that can read the external card.

jdk2
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Ok so i need a custom recovery such one did you use. I need one that can read the external card.
I used that CWM 6.0.4.4 recovery to install a custom recovery only. Once it flashes the recovery, reboot the phone. Answer No to the disclaimer in recovery and let the phone boot into kitkat. Then I used Freegee to install it's latest version of CWM. Ignore the warning if you get one in Freegee. It will install the newer recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdk2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]