Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Came across something strange today.....

OP bnicsk8guy

23rd April 2014, 11:43 AM   |  #31  
norbarb's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Crest Hill
Thanks Meter: 803
 
1,482 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoombaVinnie

I don't think you understand how expensive it would be to train all at&t retail employees on all the functions on every new mobile device released each year. I am a construction splicing tech and I don't receive specific training on things. It would be nice but most retail employees don't care to learn that aspect of the job. It does nothing to enhance their career.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

What career ?

BTW is always good if you go to At&t store and you have to inform At&t representative that if you phone is stolen IMEI can be block so phone is useless. I was trying to sell my S4 and we (guy who want to buy and I) went to store to confirm that IMEI is not black listed and transfer phone to buyer account. Rep did not know this...lol
Last edited by norbarb; 23rd April 2014 at 11:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to norbarb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #32  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
201 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbarb

What career ?

BTW is always good if you go to At&t store and you have to inform At&t representative that if you phone is stolen IMEI can be block so phone is useless. I was trying to sell my S4 and we (guy who want to buy and I) went to store to confirm that IMEI is not black listed and transfer phone to buyer account. Rep did not know this...lol

Did you have an actual sales rep or the greeter? Wouldn't be surprised if the greeter didn't know, but an actual sales rep would know.

And careers can start from the bottom, you know. A sales rep can become a store manager and a store manager can become a retail leader and so on. Sure it doesn't happen often, but it has happened. A sales rep with AT&T who has AR modicum of selling skills can easily make 60k+. The good ones can easily make 75-85k depending on market. Absolutely nothing to scoff at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Xandlinger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2014, 03:39 AM   |  #33  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
366 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbarb

What career ?

BTW is always good if you go to At&t store and you have to inform At&t representative that if you phone is stolen IMEI can be block so phone is useless. I was trying to sell my S4 and we (guy who want to buy and I) went to store to confirm that IMEI is not black listed and transfer phone to buyer account. Rep did not know this...lol

How often do you think that happens? It would be cost prohibitive to train all employees on that, and then on top of it expect them to remember it for the ~%1 of the time it happens. Perhaps the person you talked to did get trained on it, but forgot. I hear what you're saying, and empathize, but truth is it just doesn't happen enough, and is so far and few in between that it'd be wasted time and money most likely. Most of those who are wanting to commit fraud dont want' to step foot into a store with a person face to face to activate a stolen device, they're gonna do it online or over the phone, so then when they're caught they can just disconnect. Who's to say a career can't happen at AT&T?
26th April 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #34  
composi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
(((EDITED))) Apparently people think I was angry when I wrote this. Not the case. I chose to eliminate this post in order to avoid any more drifting from the subject of the OP's post.
Last edited by composi; 26th April 2014 at 04:59 AM. Reason: clarification
26th April 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #35  
nbrent1007's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Strong Island
Thanks Meter: 26
 
125 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Nice story bro. Sounds like you need therapy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
26th April 2014, 04:35 AM   |  #36  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
366 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrent1007

Nice story bro. Sounds like you need therapy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

Never had a bad day? Probably not the best place to snap, but it happens!
26th April 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #37  
composi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrent1007

Nice story bro. Sounds like you need therapy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

74 posts in almost 4 yrs, I can only imagine the contributions you've made based on this response...lol
Last edited by composi; 26th April 2014 at 05:08 AM.
26th April 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #38  
scott14719's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 815
 
2,064 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by composi

First of all, every store I've ever been in has "that guy" in it. In other words, there's always a go-to person for everything. I'm the go-to guy for Android troubleshooting in my store, we have someone who is a go-to person for iPhone troubleshooting, someone who is go-to for store policies and procedures, etc...One person can't know everything, and trust me, there are a million different things one as a rep has to remember and focus on, everything from "my spouse died and I need to cancel his account" procedure to "my flip phone won't pair with my BMW"...its hilarious that you guys expect reps to do literally everything or know everything...you know how to root a device...wonderful....do you know what the procedure is for a grieving wife who has no power of attorney for her dead husband, no death certificate, decided not to take his last name, AND on top of that isn't an authorized user on the account?

An extreme circumstance, I know, but one that I've had to deal with in my store. You guys want answers to absolutely ridiculous questions...you go to the store and demand to know from the rep that had no input in the process why the download booster was disabled or why Kit Kat hasn't been released yet for the Note 2 while it's available to another carrier or even why we don't have a gold or blue version of the S5 available...then you want to upgrade your phone, you get angry about the upgrade fee, we suggest the Next option but you get angry because in order to upgrade in a year or 18 months you have to turn in your phone so you call it "renting", then you get angry about your bill because a different rep 6 states over screwed up your account but of course you take it out on us, you don't get any accessories because we all know how cheap Amazon or the mall kiosk can be compared to our "marked up" prices, and want us to transfer all of your content yet you don't have an SD card and when you get told you need to use your computer you get angry...so the rep got an upgrade with no accessories, got your attitude for circumstances beyond their control, and of course you're going to take your time and answer negatively to the survey which makes the rep look like they gave you bad customer service....but you guys wanna laugh at a rep because they didn't know about the bootloader...*Kanye shrug*....

I see your point about the extreme stuff, but if the people that sell the phones don't know about them then who is supposed to? All of the stuff you mentioned is the employees responsibility to know. It's supposed to be what they do. Why shouldn't an employee doing that job not know how to handle the situations that involve the item that the company they work for sells? Are they just supposed to walk around shrugging their shoulders saying, "I don't know...why are you asking me about this?" If I have a question about a car I expect the dealership (and more precisely the sales person) to be able to answer it.

And let's not forget, we're not talking about super-secret, high-level, developer stuff here. We are talking about the everyday behaviors of these devices. The "custom" and unlock icon has been common place since at least the S4...and root has nothing to do with it. If someone working in an AT&T store feels like they shouldn't have to deal with customers and devices maybe they should rethink their employment situation.
26th April 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #39  
composi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott14719

I see your point about the extreme stuff, but if the people that sell the phones don't know about them then who is supposed to? All of the stuff you mentioned is the employees responsibility to know. It's supposed to be what they do. Why shouldn't an employee doing that job not know how to handle the situations that involve the item that the company they work for sells? Are they just supposed to walk around shrugging their shoulders saying, "I don't know...why are you asking me about this?" If I have a question about a car I expect the dealership (and more precisely the sales person) to be able to answer it.

And let's not forget, we're not talking about super-secret, high-level, developer stuff here. We are talking about the everyday behaviors of these devices. The "custom" and unlock icon has been common place since at least the S4...and root has nothing to do with it. If someone working in an AT&T store feels like they shouldn't have to deal with customers and devices maybe they should rethink their employment situation.

I get what you're saying, however your analogy, in my opinion, is wrong. It is NOT the same as going to a dealership and asking about a car. We sell a service, and the phone is a way to access that service. A dealership sells a car. You don't call Sirius Satellite Radio's customer service asking why your "check engine" light is on, because Sirius is a service, not the device being used to access said service. You have a warranty for a reason.

Trust me, I wish I had more co-workers who took an interest in what they do, because it would erase some of that negative perception customers such as yourselves have of us. I won't lie, the average rep uses the information given by the company, which is the information used in the selling of the devices. For simple troubleshooting, there are steps, and then we have a dedicated tech support division for the more "advanced' issues. Now if the unlock icon was a product of faulty 4G LTE signal, for example, then yes, without a doubt that is our responsibility because we offer that service.

By the way, I edited the previous post...more misunderstandings than benefits.
Last edited by composi; 26th April 2014 at 05:01 AM.
7th June 2014, 06:26 AM   |  #40  
PS4AndroidHacker's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Barberton,Ohio
Thanks Meter: 37
 
328 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Donate to Me
More
I work for hhgregg here in Ohio and know much more about Android than some of the guys at Best Buy and AT&T. Best Buy is literally right next door to us and we have customers coming over telling us they hate Best Buy and will never go in that store again. I am a customer service rep and also help sell computers, and tablets as well as close deals for the salesman that don't know jack lol. The AT&T reps didn't know much but I'm not knocking them, they're just doing their jobs. Just saying that this thread has been hilarious to read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes