Default [Q] I'm having a stupid problem with the Samsung Calendar unrooted

This was the main reason I was thinking about rooting my phone, but despite being tech savy enough to fix all my own issues on my PC, I am intimidated as hell by most of the rooting guides I've found here, so I'm hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction without rooting...

Basically, I hate the ugly stock Samsung Calendar app, and I've been using the Google one available through the Play store since I got the phone. Since the update to Kit Kat, though, the Samsung Calendar and the Google calendar seem to reset their settings every time I reboot the phone. It annoys me enough that I want to root it and uninstall the damn Samsung app, or if that proved impractical (for all I know it's not just protected without root but integrated into the OS) flash a custom rom and give a big middle finger to TouchWiz in general. So what I'm asking, in my own long winded way, is there something I'm missing that is making them go back to the way they were when I first updated that I can fix without root, or am I just going to have to hunker down and try to make heads or tails of what exactly odin and safestrap do and why the directions on one thread talks about having files on an external SD card even though I can't seem to find any reference to what files are supposed to be there or when I need to install it?