Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more
Post Reply

Why does my S4 keep rebooting? [Log Inc]

OP leijonasisu

29th May 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #1  
leijonasisu's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Helsinki
Thanks Meter: 62
 
305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
EDIT: Here's a verbose log that was being recorded before the device rebooted as explained below. It happened 2 seconds after I locked the screen with the lock key...

http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=74248

I know it's a big file, and it's long but it does open in regular Notepad, just wait 40 seconds. Hopefully you can find the cause at the bottom of the log. I can't make sense of it.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, any idea how to find out why my S4 seems to be rebooting every few hours, mostly after being woken up?

Some tech info:

Baseband: I9505XXUGNE5
Stock Kernel
SE For Android: Enforcing
Build Number: KOT49H.I9505XXUGNE5
Phone is rooted & Xposed installed

Quick bit of info:

It seems to happen 90% of the time when the screen goes off. By this I mean, the screen can go off no problem and then I can turn it back on without an issue. However if the phone does reboot, it seems to be when the phone is woken up after being locked/asleep. However it does happen sometimes whilst I am using the phone. Though very rarely.

It's also important to note that the phone does a 'fast reboot', not a regular one. Like it skips the 'Samsung Galaxy S4' screen and just goes straight to the spinning logo. It does reboot very fast, but it is really annoying.
However I don't have to put my SIM PIn in again, it just asks for my phone PIN and then starts to load apps as normally.

Is there some sort of App I can install that will log all errors right up to the point where it crashes. Then I could view the log and work out what caused the crash? I have the Donate of aLogcat but it doesn't seem to allow me to do this...

Any ideas guys? Any info would be absolutely awesome.
Last edited by leijonasisu; 29th May 2014 at 06:43 PM.
1st June 2014, 08:17 AM   |  #2  
leijonasisu's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Helsinki
Thanks Meter: 62
 
305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
I really don't mean to bump guys but I've flashed 3 times now and still get reboots...

Could I need to flash a new boatloader or something?
1st June 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 263
 
1,811 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
The download is to slow. Just post your log in pastebin and post the link here.

What I would do in your case is to fully wipe (also wipe your sd card) and return to a clean rom. Don't install any apps, dont restore backups and see if the problem persists.

If even with a fress install you have to issues, then it's a hardware issue.
1st June 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #4  
leijonasisu's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Helsinki
Thanks Meter: 62
 
305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
Hi, thanks for the reply. It seems that it could be a bad official release actually:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2761933

I added my 2 cents at the end here. Hopefully freezing everything KNOX related (as KNOX was updated in this version) will fix the issue.
I'll report back and say if it does anything.

Once again thanks a lot for the reply. Fingers crossed this works and that it isn't a hardware issue.
1st June 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #5  
Joku1981's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 559
 
1,811 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leijonasisu

Hi, thanks for the reply. It seems that it could be a bad official release actually:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2761933

I added my 2 cents at the end here. Hopefully freezing everything KNOX related (as KNOX was updated in this version) will fix the issue.
I'll report back and say if it does anything.

Once again thanks a lot for the reply. Fingers crossed this works and that it isn't a hardware issue.

I updated the post HERE if somebody is interested. More KNOX remains to freeze or delete
Last edited by Joku1981; 1st June 2014 at 08:08 PM.
1st June 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 263
 
1,811 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by leijonasisu

Hi, thanks for the reply. It seems that it could be a bad official release actually:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2761933

I added my 2 cents at the end here. Hopefully freezing everything KNOX related (as KNOX was updated in this version) will fix the issue.
I'll report back and say if it does anything.

Once again thanks a lot for the reply. Fingers crossed this works and that it isn't a hardware issue.

I would suggest performing a factory reset before freezing the Knox stuff. That way you have a clean start.
6th June 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
I'm also experiencing the same issue ( random reboots) but let's make one thing clear; this is happening ONLY after rooting. No reboots if you do NOT root, all works fine. Another thing I would like to establish when you guys say delete Knox apps, do you aside from doing search in Titanium Backup and deleting all apps entries, also do a search in the root folder with Root Explorer and delete every Knox entry? Because in my experience if you do that, the phone will not boot beyond the Samsung logo.

What i also experience is a freeze when the phone asleep/idle for a while or after a battery recharge the lock screen will open but the home screen is frozen you have to turn the screen off/on for the home screen to react. God knows how many times I have reflashed this rom, at least a dozen times. One thing is sure, its absolutely perfect when it's not rooted, no problem at all. Here is what I install after rooting
:
SdFix
AdAway
Root Explorer
Rom Manager
Titanium Backup

* I also experimented with TWRP, CWM, PhilzTouch (all latest versions) and rooted with Cf-Auto root and Via update SuperSU v1.97, v1.99.r2, v1.99r3.
So there you go, my analysis is that without root all is fine. But I and I think all of here want root, so I hope someone gets to the bottom of this. I already sent the venerable Chainfire my experince with this rom. Fingers crossed.
7th June 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 263
 
1,811 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wadi

I'm also experiencing the same issue ( random reboots) but let's make one thing clear; this is happening ONLY after rooting. No reboots if you do NOT root, all works fine. Another thing I would like to establish when you guys say delete Knox apps, do you aside from doing search in Titanium Backup and deleting all apps entries, also do a search in the root folder with Root Explorer and delete every Knox entry? Because in my experience if you do that, the phone will not boot beyond the Samsung logo.

What i also experience is a freeze when the phone asleep/idle for a while or after a battery recharge the lock screen will open but the home screen is frozen you have to turn the screen off/on for the home screen to react. God knows how many times I have reflashed this rom, at least a dozen times. One thing is sure, its absolutely perfect when it's not rooted, no problem at all. Here is what I install after rooting
:
SdFix
AdAway
Root Explorer
Rom Manager
Titanium Backup

* I also experimented with TWRP, CWM, PhilzTouch (all latest versions) and rooted with Cf-Auto root and Via update SuperSU v1.97, v1.99.r2, v1.99r3.
So there you go, my analysis is that without root all is fine. But I and I think all of here want root, so I hope someone gets to the bottom of this. I already sent the venerable Chainfire my experince with this rom. Fingers crossed.

It's doubtfull that rooting has anything to do with it. You are using the Chainfire root and from what I remember is that it doesn't change anything in the kernel that would result in those errors you descripe. Did you try rooting and not installing those apps? Also did you try other roms?

My guess is is that it's SdFix that is causing the lags.
7th June 2014, 10:00 AM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyz1988

It's doubtfull that rooting has anything to do with it. You are using the Chainfire root and from what I remember is that it doesn't change anything in the kernel that would result in those errors you descripe. Did you try rooting and not installing those apps? Also did you try other roms?

My guess is is that it's SdFix that is causing the lags.

Chainfire asked in another post people who are experiencing these reboots to list their installed root apps which I sent to him.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...eboot&page=551

Maybe it is SdFix. I will check that out but, I would like to know if others who are experiencing reboots here have SdFix installed or maybe to list their installed root apps (like Chainfire suggested) so we can compare notes as to who is and who is not experiencing random reboots.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank