Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,955 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I buy Z1 now?

Tip us?
 
Steve_max
Old
#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 191
Posts: 302
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintgein View Post
The gpu went from 450 to 578 mhz. This is the biggest difference. Also because android is getting graphically more intense, slowly but surely.
Remember that you can overclock the Z1 GPU to 533 MHz, so that is a <10% difference. Overclocking both CPU and GPU, the Z1's 800 (2.4GHz/533MHz) is very comparable with the Z2's 801AB (2.3GHz/578MHz) and within striking distance from the S5's 801AC (2.5GHz/578MHz). No idea on how those overclock, though.
 
gandalf_grey91
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 193
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_max View Post
Remember that you can overclock the Z1 GPU to 533 MHz, so that is a <10% difference. Overclocking both CPU and GPU, the Z1's 800 (2.4GHz/533MHz) is very comparable with the Z2's 801AB (2.3GHz/578MHz) and within striking distance from the S5's 801AC (2.5GHz/578MHz). No idea on how those overclock, though.
When you say "you can overclock the Z1", you mean if you unlock bootloader, lose bravia engine / drm keys and install a custom kernel.
Sony Xperia Z1 running monxDIFIED v6.02
Motorola Atrix (x2) running Nottachtrix 1.3.1 (DeBlur-ed, running Ubuntop v.1.1.1) and Neutrino 3.02
HTC Incredible S running VivoKat (ART)
Sony Xperia SP (LTE) (x2) both running heavily customised stock ROM (4.3/4.2.2)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running CM11
Nook HD+ running dual boot (CM11 (ART) / Stock 2.2.0)
HTC Desire running RSK ORIOLA Xperia Z 3.0 (CM10)
ZTE Skate running CM10
ZTE Blade running CM10
 
Steve_max
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 191
Posts: 302
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf_grey91 View Post
When you say "you can overclock the Z1", you mean if you unlock bootloader, lose bravia engine / drm keys and install a custom kernel.
Yes, but why would you not unlock the bootloader? You can backup the TA partition and just restore it if needed, and everything just works without the DRM keys (if you believe you lost something, restore TA, install stock kernel, and you're back to stock). This is a development forum; I assume people here are willing to modify their devices to extract the maximum from them (in speed, battery life, whatever).
 
gandalf_grey91
Old
(Last edited by gandalf_grey91; 7th June 2014 at 02:08 AM.)
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 193
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_max View Post
Yes, but why would you not unlock the bootloader?
I would have thought that was obvious. Unlocking the bootloader on my old Motorolas or HTCs provided more function and in the case of the HTCs made things better with custom Hboots. But the current crop of Sony's use the bravia engine to enhance the screen which is an integral part of the user experience and unlocking the bootloader disables it. Yes, by backing up the TA partition it is possible to revert back if the bootloader has been unlocked. But, unlike some other phones, with Sony phones the users can only choose to either unlock the bootloader to flash non-stock ROMs and custom kernels and lose the Bravia engine or leave the bootloader locked with working bravia engine but never gain the ability to flash AOSP ROMs. You can't have both because of that pesky TA partition. Because the Sony stock ROM experience is so good and thanks to the fantastic work some devs have done on modules for the Xposed framework, some designed especially for Xperia phones, Sony users have 2 strong choices.
Sony Xperia Z1 running monxDIFIED v6.02
Motorola Atrix (x2) running Nottachtrix 1.3.1 (DeBlur-ed, running Ubuntop v.1.1.1) and Neutrino 3.02
HTC Incredible S running VivoKat (ART)
Sony Xperia SP (LTE) (x2) both running heavily customised stock ROM (4.3/4.2.2)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running CM11
Nook HD+ running dual boot (CM11 (ART) / Stock 2.2.0)
HTC Desire running RSK ORIOLA Xperia Z 3.0 (CM10)
ZTE Skate running CM10
ZTE Blade running CM10
 
dedei
Old
#15  
dedei's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 235
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro
I unlocked my bootloader and x-reality (bravia engine) and BIONZ are still working flawlessly.
 
Steve_max
Old
#16  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 191
Posts: 302
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf_grey91 View Post
I would have thought that was obvious. Unlocking the bootloader on my old Motorolas or HTCs provided more function and in the case of the HTCs made things better with custom Hboots. But the current crop of Sony's use the bravia engine to enhance the screen which is an integral part of the user experience and unlocking the bootloader disables it. Yes, by backing up the TA partition it is possible to revert back if the bootloader has been unlocked. But, unlike some other phones, with Sony phones the users can only choose to either unlock the bootloader to flash non-stock ROMs and custom kernels and lose the Bravia engine or leave the bootloader locked with working bravia engine but never gain the ability to flash AOSP ROMs. You can't have both because of that pesky TA partition. Because the Sony stock ROM experience is so good and thanks to the fantastic work some devs have done on modules for the Xposed framework, some designed especially for Xperia phones, Sony users have 2 strong choices.
I dislike the idea of special postprocessing on images on the screen. The X-Realty engine is that: some processing on your pictures/movies when the phone shows them on its own screen. They won't appear like that on your computer, or when you share the picture with anyone, out when you print them. It is a fake improvement, and I prefer to keep it disabled.

Anyway, AFAIK there are ways to make that work on UB. Never tried, but this is said to work well: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2635986
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_max For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gandalf_grey91
Old
(Last edited by gandalf_grey91; 7th June 2014 at 10:15 AM.)
#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 193
Join Date: Dec 2011
You are right, I don't like it either, any thing that only affects the devices own screen is a fake improvement. But thank you for including the link, I didn't know I had the option to unlock the bootloader and keep the bravia engine/x-reality.
Sony Xperia Z1 running monxDIFIED v6.02
Motorola Atrix (x2) running Nottachtrix 1.3.1 (DeBlur-ed, running Ubuntop v.1.1.1) and Neutrino 3.02
HTC Incredible S running VivoKat (ART)
Sony Xperia SP (LTE) (x2) both running heavily customised stock ROM (4.3/4.2.2)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running CM11
Nook HD+ running dual boot (CM11 (ART) / Stock 2.2.0)
HTC Desire running RSK ORIOLA Xperia Z 3.0 (CM10)
ZTE Skate running CM10
ZTE Blade running CM10

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes