OP invinciblervd

6th June 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #11  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 193

308 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintgein

The gpu went from 450 to 578 mhz. This is the biggest difference. Also because android is getting graphically more intense, slowly but surely.

Remember that you can overclock the Z1 GPU to 533 MHz, so that is a <10% difference. Overclocking both CPU and GPU, the Z1's 800 (2.4GHz/533MHz) is very comparable with the Z2's 801AB (2.3GHz/578MHz) and within striking distance from the S5's 801AC (2.5GHz/578MHz). No idea on how those overclock, though.
6th June 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 29

224 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_max

Remember that you can overclock the Z1 GPU to 533 MHz, so that is a <10% difference. Overclocking both CPU and GPU, the Z1's 800 (2.4GHz/533MHz) is very comparable with the Z2's 801AB (2.3GHz/578MHz) and within striking distance from the S5's 801AC (2.5GHz/578MHz). No idea on how those overclock, though.

When you say "you can overclock the Z1", you mean if you unlock bootloader, lose bravia engine / drm keys and install a custom kernel.
6th June 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #13  
Flag Rio de Janeiro

308 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf_grey91

When you say "you can overclock the Z1", you mean if you unlock bootloader, lose bravia engine / drm keys and install a custom kernel.

Yes, but why would you not unlock the bootloader? You can backup the TA partition and just restore it if needed, and everything just works without the DRM keys (if you believe you lost something, restore TA, install stock kernel, and you're back to stock). This is a development forum; I assume people here are willing to modify their devices to extract the maximum from them (in speed, battery life, whatever).
7th June 2014, 02:06 AM   |  #14  

224 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_max

Yes, but why would you not unlock the bootloader?

I would have thought that was obvious. Unlocking the bootloader on my old Motorolas or HTCs provided more function and in the case of the HTCs made things better with custom Hboots. But the current crop of Sony's use the bravia engine to enhance the screen which is an integral part of the user experience and unlocking the bootloader disables it. Yes, by backing up the TA partition it is possible to revert back if the bootloader has been unlocked. But, unlike some other phones, with Sony phones the users can only choose to either unlock the bootloader to flash non-stock ROMs and custom kernels and lose the Bravia engine or leave the bootloader locked with working bravia engine but never gain the ability to flash AOSP ROMs. You can't have both because of that pesky TA partition. Because the Sony stock ROM experience is so good and thanks to the fantastic work some devs have done on modules for the Xposed framework, some designed especially for Xperia phones, Sony users have 2 strong choices.
Last edited by gandalf_grey91; 7th June 2014 at 02:08 AM.
7th June 2014, 02:47 AM   |  #15  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 42

343 posts
More
I unlocked my bootloader and x-reality (bravia engine) and BIONZ are still working flawlessly.
7th June 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #16  
Flag Rio de Janeiro

308 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf_grey91

I would have thought that was obvious. Unlocking the bootloader on my old Motorolas or HTCs provided more function and in the case of the HTCs made things better with custom Hboots. But the current crop of Sony's use the bravia engine to enhance the screen which is an integral part of the user experience and unlocking the bootloader disables it. Yes, by backing up the TA partition it is possible to revert back if the bootloader has been unlocked. But, unlike some other phones, with Sony phones the users can only choose to either unlock the bootloader to flash non-stock ROMs and custom kernels and lose the Bravia engine or leave the bootloader locked with working bravia engine but never gain the ability to flash AOSP ROMs. You can't have both because of that pesky TA partition. Because the Sony stock ROM experience is so good and thanks to the fantastic work some devs have done on modules for the Xposed framework, some designed especially for Xperia phones, Sony users have 2 strong choices.

I dislike the idea of special postprocessing on images on the screen. The X-Realty engine is that: some processing on your pictures/movies when the phone shows them on its own screen. They won't appear like that on your computer, or when you share the picture with anyone, out when you print them. It is a fake improvement, and I prefer to keep it disabled.

Anyway, AFAIK there are ways to make that work on UB. Never tried, but this is said to work well: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2635986
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_max For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th June 2014, 10:11 AM   |  #17  

224 posts
More
You are right, I don't like it either, any thing that only affects the devices own screen is a fake improvement. But thank you for including the link, I didn't know I had the option to unlock the bootloader and keep the bravia engine/x-reality.
Last edited by gandalf_grey91; 7th June 2014 at 10:15 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread