CONFIRMED 4.2 roms will flash on 4.4 bootloader

Search This thread

megalomanic14

Sep 22, 2013
www.patreon.com
Confirmed...i just successfully flashed megafire v10 4.2.2 base rom after odin flashing the kk bootloader and flashing Philz cwm....v10 is running as fast and smooth as ever on the 4.4 bootloader...so if you want to try kk and still want 4.2 roms your good to go

Mega

Reactions: starmaster10

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
The 4.4 ROM you were on was a Knox infested ROM or was it the Knox free ROM I put on the forum?
And did you flash the whole 4.4 ROM or only the boatloader (boot.img)?
Cuz on this ROM Knox is actually not in the boot.img, it's somewhere else.
Which means that one can flash the 4.4.2 boot.img alone and still downgrade to 4.2.2 or whatever, but if one flashes the whole 4.4.2 ROM one will have the Knox...
Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

megalomanic14

Sep 22, 2013
www.patreon.com
The 4.4 ROM you were on was a Knox infested ROM or was it the Knox free ROM I put on the forum?
And did you flash the whole 4.4 ROM or only the boatloader (boot.img)?
Cuz on this ROM Knox is actually not in the boot.img, it's somewhere else.
Which means that one can flash the 4.4.2 boot.img alone and still downgrade to 4.2.2 or whatever, but if one flashes the whole 4.4.2 ROM one will have the Knox...
Or am I missing something?

I flashed the entire stock odin based rom with bootloader intact....so yes you can fully flash 4.2.2 roms after doing full odin to stock kk...i did this to test knowing people on my roms would eventually try this lol....no I saw you had the rom out but this is all based on full stock odin and Knox 4.4 bbootloader..yes you can flash 4.2.2 roms strain over the new Knox 4.4. boot buddy ...you just can't never odin flash a 4.2.2 with the old bootloader. ..i hole that clears things up a little bit

Mega

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
The 4.2.2 you have is a Knoxed version?
My 4.2.2 is a Knox free version, and if I understood well I wouldn't be able to restore it if I flash the Knox KK.
I ask you this cuz I wouldn't mind to try the full KK, to see if it has the reboot bug or not.
But I would do it only if I can restore my good old fast and efficient home made 4.2.2;)

megalomanic14

Sep 22, 2013
www.patreon.com
The 4.2.2 you have is a Knoxed version?
My 4.2.2 is a Knox free version, and if I understood well I wouldn't be able to restore it if I flash the Knox KK.
I ask you this cuz I wouldn't mind to try the full KK, to see if it has the reboot bug or not.
But I would do it only if I can restore my good old fast and efficient home made 4.2.2;)

No the 4.2.2 bmj2 build is my megafire v10 from the threads that I flashed on the new 4.4 bootloader...if you have one that's pre cna2 or your i9200 base equivalent it's shouldn't be an issue...idk about any beyond bmj2 as i never built on them since they were the same exact rom as bmj2 just with the knox bootloader lol for me going from my megafire rom to kk was a massive step backwards in speed smoothness and battery life...going from a raw quadrant average of 8350 on my 4.2 rom to 7860 is a massive drop lol and just another reason I'm done with that build for a few days

Mega

Also I have tracked down a few reasons for the updater script issue...that almost appear to be intentional on the part of samsung but I'll pm you about that which I've never seen happen in 5 years and over 120 roms I've built...but since you wouldn't know I'm guessing I build for the mega, but also for my note 3, note 8, note 12.2 pro, tab 8.4 pro, galaxy s4 att and the Mega all currently...and this mega kk base has been the first and only to have these issues with android kitchen at least ime building on them, so something changed

Edit and no you are correct it's now in the new separate boot.exe or param exe if I'm not mistaken. ..but no dude i went for the full shebang the full odin 4.4 then flashed my own 4.2 knox free mj2 rom just fine...so the new bootloader obviously has a supercede script that overwrites the old bootloader is my guess...probably a if then script but mines running great 4.2 knox free rom on 4.4 knox boot buddy you should have the same deal on 9200

Last edited:

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
Nice if your KK version doesn't have Knox, but it's a I9205 right?
Mine is a I9200 and to be honest I'm a bit scared to flash the full ROM cuz it could be that it has Knox, and since I'm still not sure that I can tweak KK to my liking I don't want to be stucked with it without any possibility to get back to 4.2.2.
Anyway, it's good for you if the I9205 is Knox free, and it will save me time cuz someone had requested me to make a Knox free version, which would have taken days to download/upload due to my pitiful internet connection (I already tried to download it 3 times and every time it failed in the middle).
Tell me, are there in your KK package other files apart from boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, cache.img and hidden.img?

megalomanic14

Sep 22, 2013
www.patreon.com
Nice if your KK version doesn't have Knox, but it's a I9205 right?
Mine is a I9200 and to be honest I'm a bit scared to flash the full ROM cuz it could be that it has Knox, and since I'm still not sure that I can tweak KK to my liking I don't want to be stucked with it without any possibility to get back to 4.2.2.
Anyway, it's good for you if the I9205 is Knox free, and it will save me time cuz someone had requested me to make a Knox free version, which would have taken days to download/upload due to my pitiful internet connection (I already tried to download it 3 times and every time it failed in the middle).
Tell me, are there in your KK package other files apart from boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, cache.img and hidden.img?

I think you may have misread or misunderstood something buddy ,..the i9205 kk build has knox both in the bootloader and the warranty fuse and kernel fuse but also apks in the system, priv apps, and framework folders..the knox bootloader for 4.4 supercedes the older bootloader, so even when you restore the system of 4.2.2 you still have the 4.4 bootloader on there. My post was to let you guys know that you could flash 4.2 roms on the 4,4 bootloader...don't we all wish they didn't have knox lol...but no dude the i9205 is just the 4g lte variant of the 9200....at least On the 9205 you can odin up to 4.4 and still flash 4.2 roms on the new bootloader...when you say knox free are you talking about removing the normal knox apks form system apps, priv apps, and framework like usual?? Or you talking about removing the bootloader from the build?

Yea dude i wouldnt have even tried to flash back 4.2 but i have 2 Mega's 9205 one is strictly for dev work...and my 4.2 roms already have most of the ram and dalvik changes built in as well as a ton of tweaks performance and battery optimizations...i Don't know if you've run any of my builds but they're extremely fast and smooth, so the mega stock 4.4 was a huge step hackward for me or anyone thats run my builds

And it depends what files you mean buddy...my initial files from the decompile were the usual aboot.mbn, cache.img, nonhlos, rom, sbl 1 2 3...ect then you run boot.img and system.img thru the kitchen for unpacking the regular folders...but yes I noticed the extra file types in the initial decompile...I'm about to just delete everything an say screw it for a few days

Mega

Last edited:

trurl3

Apr 12, 2011
Warszawa
Confirmed...i just successfully flashed megafire v10 4.2.2 base rom after odin flashing the kk bootloader and flashing Philz cwm....v10 is running as fast and smooth as ever on the 4.4 bootloader...so if you want to try kk and still want 4.2 roms your good to go

Mega

Is that means so one could flash MegaFirev10 onto 4.2.2 with new bootloader (i.e. CNA2)? It could be much easier than making complex downgrade to MJ2 and then flashing MF.

megalomanic14

Sep 22, 2013
www.patreon.com
Is that means so one could flash MegaFirev10 onto 4.2.2 with new bootloader (i.e. CNA2)? It could be much easier than making complex downgrade to MJ2 and then flashing MF.

Theoretically it shouldn't be an issue...i did this exact thing on ml1 and then again on 4.4 and both times I flashed my megafire roms just fine...so it would appear as though flashing lower roms is fine and restoring roms is fine on those bootloaders but Odin flashing back down to an older build or boot is not possible....if you do this and is ssuccessful def let us know thanks buddy

Mega

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
Theoretically it shouldn't be an issue...i did this exact thing on ml1 and then again on 4.4 and both times I flashed my megafire roms just fine...so it would appear as though flashing lower roms is fine and restoring roms is fine on those bootloaders but Odin flashing back down to an older build or boot is not possible....if you do this and is ssuccessful def let us know thanks buddy

Mega

so.. Mega...
let me see if I get this thread right.. Sorry, but Im simple and only know how to Odin..

You're saying that
1) I go and download the Portugal 4.4 KK I9205XXUDNE4 I9205TPHDNE4
from Sam Mobile and Odin that to my i9205.....
then 2) download your your megafire v10 4.2.2 base rom
and Odin that to my phone...
Then Im good to go???
No rooting or S/U involved??
And it'll be Faster, bettery battery life and all your other great tweaks in there too???
just that simple??

any manual wiping or dalvic wiping involved in the process??
then I'll have to re-install all my stuff,??
Thanks for your answer!!
Great work!
all comments and replies are welcomed and encouraged!

megalomanic14

Sep 22, 2013
www.patreon.com
so.. Mega...
let me see if I get this thread right.. Sorry, but Im simple and only know how to Odin..

You're saying that
1) I go and download the Portugal 4.4 KK I9205XXUDNE4 I9205TPHDNE4
from Sam Mobile and Odin that to my i9205.....
then 2) download your your megafire v10 4.2.2 base rom
and Odin that to my phone...
Then Im good to go???
No rooting or S/U involved??
And it'll be Faster, bettery battery life and all your other great tweaks in there too???
just that simple??

any manual wiping or dalvic wiping involved in the process??
then I'll have to re-install all my stuff,??
Thanks for your answer!!
Great work!
all comments and replies are welcomed and encouraged!

***this post was only for those who had taken or flashed the 4.4 update to try and didn't wanna be stuck on it...you can flash my 4.2 roms directly without odin flashing 4.4 if your still on 4.2***

Close..but much simpler lol...you odin up to the new kk as you have there...odin 4.4 stock...then odin flash Philz recovery...then flash my megafire v10 4.2 build in Philz cwm recovery....you don't odin flash my rom. But you can see all the perks and upgrades over the stock rom in my rom thread, with detailed instructions on how to flash it....but you only odin flash the new 4.4 update...and Odin flash custom recovery then you flash my rom as usual in recovery from the mega itself...but if your already on 4.2 you can just flash it strait from recovery you don't have to update to the 4.4 build first...my kit kat rom is not out yet so this post and info was more for those who had flashed kit kat stock rom and didn't wanna be stuck on it since it's much slower and worse battery life that a custom build.

Mega

Last edited:

_Iron

May 30, 2014
Customize rom for galaxy mega 5.8

Can anyone tell me whether there is, for custom ROMS GT-I9152?
Where can I find them?

Thanks

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
Playing with an L600 ( Sprint ).....

Glad to hear it's the same as many if not all other Galaxy devices and was just dependent on not "downgrading" the Bootloader.

I just finished installing Philz and rooted through recovery.

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
Ok.. thanks, Mega....
Can you please give a link for the philz recovery that works with our i9205?
Thanks for that..
Wont I need togoto stock 4.4 first to get the benifits of the 4.4 kernel, then drop in your megafire v10??
Thanks again for clarify ing...

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
"when you say knox free are you talking about removing the normal knox apks form system apps, priv apps, and framework like usual?? Or you talking about removing the bootloader from the build? "

I meant removing everything that is Knox related, included the stuff in the boatloader (that isn't in the boot.img by the way).

"i Don't know if you've run any of my builds but they're extremely fast and smooth, so the mega stock 4.4 was a huge step hackward for me or anyone thats run my builds "

I didn't, but it's on my to-do list:)

"I'm about to just delete everything an say screw it for a few days"

I did the same, buy now that few days have passed I may give it another shot, you know how we people are;)

trurl3

Apr 12, 2011
Warszawa
So.. do I just grab the latest version and .tar..and Odin it on my mega??
Then, download megafire v10 ti my phone....
Then flash it using philz... sound right?

That's right! But what you mean: " I just grab the latest version and .tar". You do not need to flash anything before MegaFire. Just start from second line...
When you flasdh MegaFire V10 you will have better version of stock 4.2.2. Bootloader version is not relevant in such case. New bootloader does not better your MF.

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
That's right! But what you mean: " I just grab the latest version and .tar". You do not need to flash anything before MegaFire. Just start from second line...
When you flasdh MegaFire V10 you will have better version of stock 4.2.2. Bootloader version is not relevant in such case. New bootloader does not better your MF.
Thanks pak!!
Success! !
I got the philz touch on with odin.
Then got the megafire v10 on with philz..
Scary at first.. but all is good now!
I just have to find out what all these new apps are about, most seems to deal with tech android stuff which is french to me.
Thanks again for all the help

Top Liked Posts