Privacy in Settings

Search This thread

andyjg247

May 3, 2013
Hi,

The CM builds have a privacy option in settings. Is this something that is available in the google edition roms at all? I've tried running the new 4.4.3 but this doesn't appear to exist which is a shame for me. Is there somethign that can be used to replicate it (if it isn't available)?

thanks

B

bodominea

Re:

This feature is build into every Android. On stock and many other ROMs, this feature is hidden. the cyanogenmod "Privacy" settings tab only brings app the "vanilla" AppOps interface that is hidden by default. If you run an Android version UNDER 4.4 you can access the Privacy menu on your device without root. But you say you updated to 4.4.3, so I bet you'll have to root to bring up the menu. With or without root, you should try this "App Ops" app. I used it before sticking to Cyanogenmod. App Ops by Lars Team (can not post link to store - low rep)

But just as a recommendation, if you want true privacy on Android, you need to ditch the Samsung and Google stock bloatware and get some clean and true Android like Cyanogen. My device is more secure than ever and boots almost instantly (set device to performance mode) with CM11. Anyway, if you have plans to root, (... and void your warranty...) do it with Cyanogenmod. For i9505 devices, there is Cyanogenmod Installer which automatically roots your device and loads recovery and Cyanogen, without any risk, except the risk of voiding your warranty and having the device display "Warranty Bit 0" when entering recovery.

Hi,

The CM builds have a privacy option in settings. Is this something that is available in the google edition roms at all? I've tried running the new 4.4.3 but this doesn't appear to exist which is a shame for me. Is there somethign that can be used to replicate it (if it isn't available)?

thanks

andyjg247

May 3, 2013
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
I've been running the nightlies for CM for quite a while now but fancied trying the GE ROM that danvd brought out with 4.4.3 (already supersu). I looked in settings and couldn't see the option though so wondered if it was CM only or something. Didn't realise it was just hidden (as I've just gone back to CM backup after going through it all (including having to go back to ext format too). WIll definitely look for the app ops in play. Thank you