Backlight bleed or light leakage.

OP satishp

7th June 2014, 09:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kerala
Thanks Meter: 56

152 posts
More
My Xperia Z Ultra has minor light leakage from the top of the screen. Visible at the top and also the top left and right.
Its not evident when the phone is held straight but becomes visible (these areas appear brighter at an angle and you can see a clear source of light) when the phone is held at an angle. I cant recollect whether I had this from day 1.
Its been about two months with this device.

Is this normal? I do know that minor backlight bleed or leakage is to be expected from an LCD screen but I thought that applied to bigger panels like monitors. But is this normal for a phone? All my previous android devices were Samsungs with AMOLED displays so I'm not sure whether I'm just getting worried over nothing.

To test this, take a pure white background at fullscreen and check the corners of the screen at different angles.
Kindly post your findings here.
7th June 2014, 01:00 PM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,664

15,002 posts
More
Yup, I have it too. Not really noticeable unless I look for it though, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk
7th June 2014, 01:21 PM   |  #3  
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 485

1,049 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have it too... But I can live with it ☺

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
7th June 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #4  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 118

784 posts
I don't have any back light bleeding, I'm a happy man!
7th June 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kerala
Thanks Meter: 56

152 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

Yup, I have it too. Not really noticeable unless I look for it though, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

Is it at the top of the screen for you? Is it visible when you tilt the screen or when the phone is horizontal..like when placed on a table?
For me the top most area of the screen appears brighter with light shining through when I hold the phone vertically at a 45 degree angle or when the phone is on a table.

When I'm holding the phone straight on, directly facing it, it doesnt seem to show much.
8th June 2014, 01:12 AM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,664

15,002 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by satishp

Is it at the top of the screen for you? Is it visible when you tilt the screen or when the phone is horizontal..like when placed on a table?
For me the top most area of the screen appears brighter with light shining through when I hold the phone vertically at a 45 degree angle or when the phone is on a table.

When I'm holding the phone straight on, directly facing it, it doesnt seem to show much.

No, nothing like that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread