Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,720 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Backlight bleed or light leakage.

Tip us?

satishp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Default Backlight bleed or light leakage.

My Xperia Z Ultra has minor light leakage from the top of the screen. Visible at the top and also the top left and right.
Its not evident when the phone is held straight but becomes visible (these areas appear brighter at an angle and you can see a clear source of light) when the phone is held at an angle. I cant recollect whether I had this from day 1.
Its been about two months with this device.

Is this normal? I do know that minor backlight bleed or leakage is to be expected from an LCD screen but I thought that applied to bigger panels like monitors. But is this normal for a phone? All my previous android devices were Samsungs with AMOLED displays so I'm not sure whether I'm just getting worried over nothing.

To test this, take a pure white background at fullscreen and check the corners of the screen at different angles.
Kindly post your findings here.
Nokia 6600 (dead) > Nokia 6680 (alive and collecting dust) > Nokia N82 (Sold) > Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (Sold) >HTC Diamond 2 (Topaz) -Sold > Nokia N900 (Still miss the multitasking) > Samsung Galaxy SII (Sold) > Samsung Galaxy Note (Primary) > Samsung Galaxy SIII (Gave to dad) > Sony Xperia TX > Samsung Galaxy Note 2 > Sony Xperia Z Ultra (Primary media consumption device) > Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 (Primary phone)

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5649
Yup, I have it too. Not really noticeable unless I look for it though, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

pemell
Old
Thanks Meter 373

DONATE TO ME
I have it too... But I can live with it ☺

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Team SlimRoms

Follow me:

kanej2006
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I don't have any back light bleeding, I'm a happy man!

satishp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Yup, I have it too. Not really noticeable unless I look for it though, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk
Is it at the top of the screen for you? Is it visible when you tilt the screen or when the phone is horizontal..like when placed on a table?
For me the top most area of the screen appears brighter with light shining through when I hold the phone vertically at a 45 degree angle or when the phone is on a table.

When I'm holding the phone straight on, directly facing it, it doesnt seem to show much.
Nokia 6600 (dead) > Nokia 6680 (alive and collecting dust) > Nokia N82 (Sold) > Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (Sold) >HTC Diamond 2 (Topaz) -Sold > Nokia N900 (Still miss the multitasking) > Samsung Galaxy SII (Sold) > Samsung Galaxy Note (Primary) > Samsung Galaxy SIII (Gave to dad) > Sony Xperia TX > Samsung Galaxy Note 2 > Sony Xperia Z Ultra (Primary media consumption device) > Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 (Primary phone)

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by satishp View Post
Is it at the top of the screen for you? Is it visible when you tilt the screen or when the phone is horizontal..like when placed on a table?
For me the top most area of the screen appears brighter with light shining through when I hold the phone vertically at a 45 degree angle or when the phone is on a table.

When I'm holding the phone straight on, directly facing it, it doesnt seem to show much.
No, nothing like that.