Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 50,263 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it possible to get TouchWiz or TouchWiz features on a Nexus 5?

Tip us?

jvnanu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Is it possible to get TouchWiz or TouchWiz features on a Nexus 5?

My father-in-law's birthday is on Sunday and his family wanted to get him a new phone. He's had a Tab Pro 8.4 for a few months and he's become quite enthralled with it. For continuity's sake, they want to get him an S4 or S5. Both are $700 off contract. I'm wondering, is there a way to spend half that, get a Nexus 5, and somehow simulate all or most TouchWiz features through a custom ROM? Keep in mind, this gentleman likely won't be playing with any of the settings or features or more complex aspects of a custom ROM, simply looking for familiar UI. I'd be the one unlocking/rooting and flashing the custom ROM and he'd probably just go from there. Just something to keep in mind.

Any thoughts? The alternative is grabbing an S4 off eBay for about $550

pigstew
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Just get him a nexus tablet and phone and tell him to forget ever having a Samsung...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

jvnanu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigstew View Post
Just get him a nexus tablet and phone and tell him to forget ever having a Samsung...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Heh. Would be cheaper to get an N5 and N10 than an S5 eh? Unfortunately, that's not what I asked.

Kobro
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnanu View Post
My father-in-law's birthday is on Sunday and his family wanted to get him a new phone. He's had a Tab Pro 8.4 for a few months and he's become quite enthralled with it. For continuity's sake, they want to get him an S4 or S5. Both are $700 off contract. I'm wondering, is there a way to spend half that, get a Nexus 5, and somehow simulate all or most TouchWiz features through a custom ROM? Keep in mind, this gentleman likely won't be playing with any of the settings or features or more complex aspects of a custom ROM, simply looking for familiar UI. I'd be the one unlocking/rooting and flashing the custom ROM and he'd probably just go from there. Just something to keep in mind.

Any thoughts? The alternative is grabbing an S4 off eBay for about $550
you can use the cm10/11 custom rom, and then use the touchwiz theme by thomassafca (search on play store)
Press Thanks if i helped!

The Eleventh Commandment- "Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it."

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!
https://copy.com?r=1txCqp

Arch9
Old
Thanks Meter 108
better get him an S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500_________________
Recovery: ClockWorkMod 6.0.4.8
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Stock
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100
Recovery: ClockWorkMod 6.0.4.5
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Stock

jvnanu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch9 View Post
better get him an S4
Yeah. I actually found a way to get the S4 for $350 on a $150tab with a cheaper monthly plan through a different carrier than he's currently with.

Thanks guys!