[Q] hello. nexus10 memory...

OP gyk0502

8th June 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
i nexus 10 users.

Nexus 10 is a 2GB RAM.

However, the device has 1GB of information.

Where are the rest of the 1GB of RAM?
8th June 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Why do you need to know that?
Thanks Meter: 1,131

2,937 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi,

I already answered this question many times, but here it is again:

Like you already know the Nexus 10 powers up a huge resolution display, and the graphics processor is not really able to keep up with it all alone, so Google allocated some of Nexus 10 RAM to the GPU. The update brings some new stuff, therefore requires more power and as such it will probably need more GPU power as well, and that's why you see less RAM. I will share here how I tested each update based on graphical performance:

I picked up an anime episode that I had in MKV, FullHD, FLAC audio, blah blah blah... In other words, very heavy stuff. Downloaded MX Player on both my S4 and my Nexus 10. Let's start the tests now:
Quote:

First Test:
Both running 4.2.2 - The video was very laggy in both devices, in S4 it was completely unwatchable. On Nexus 10 you could watch it, but it was very unpleasant.

Second Test:
Both running 4.3 - The video got a little better on S4, you could watch it, but some parts were uncomfortable and really laggy. Nexus 10 got an amazing improvement (that's when Google started to allocate RAM to the GPU), you could watch it almost flawlessly, the only problem was skipping some parts and one particular scene.

Third Test:
My S4 broke, and now I'm with a Xperia Z1. Xperia Z1 and Nexus 10 running KitKat - Xperia Z1 performance was perfect, no lag at all, all scenes watchable and no problems rewind and fast forwarding the video, Snapdragon 800 has an amazing GPU indeed. Nexus 10, being one year older than Z1 with a older processor and way more pixels had a similar performance, was way better than on 4.3, the problem was with rewinding and fast forwarding, other than that was perfectly fine.

So, if you don't use your tablet for heavy videos and such, you can stay in older versions with no problems . I just think it is good to share this small experiment I did to clarify why your RAM "disappeared" suddenly on KitKat .

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10
The Following User Says Thank You to XxLordxX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLordxX

Hi,

I already answered this question many times, but here it is again:

Like you already know the Nexus 10 powers up a huge resolution display, and the graphics processor is not really able to keep up with it all alone, so Google allocated some of Nexus 10 RAM to the GPU. The update brings some new stuff, therefore requires more power and as such it will probably need more GPU power as well, and that's why you see less RAM. I will share here how I tested each update based on graphical performance:

I picked up an anime episode that I had in MKV, FullHD, FLAC audio, blah blah blah... In other words, very heavy stuff. Downloaded MX Player on both my S4 and my Nexus 10. Let's start the tests now:

So, if you don't use your tablet for heavy videos and such, you can stay in older versions with no problems . I just think it is good to share this small experiment I did to clarify why your RAM "disappeared" suddenly on KitKat .

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10

Okay, Thank you very much.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread