Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,893 Members 51,737 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Web Browser Display 8.4

Tip us?

al2fast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Web Browser Display 8.4

OK, like the title says I'm curious as to how web pages display in either Chrome or the Samsung browser, forgive me if I don't know the Sammy browser name. I'm trying to decide between a iPad Mini Retina and a Samsung 8.4. I'm leaning towards the Samsung, I want the Samsung, but 90% of what I'll ultimately do with it is browse the web.

I have an iPad mini non-retina that I'm selling to a friend. Web pages display nice, like they were designed to fit and operate on that screen. What I mean is go to a site like Yahoo. On the iPad the the picture at the top (main stories you can click on) is full and looks like it fits on the screen with no distortion. Smaller stories underneath the main stories look formatted nice and not all out of whack.

Now, on the 8.4 the story on the top has a real thin narrow picture, cannot see but the middle 30% or so of the picture and you cannot see any of the caption underneath. I was playing with one at Best Buy tonight and the BB dude didn't know why it looked so funky either. You can do the request desktop site, which I don't have issue with, but then the whole menu on the left of the yahoo web page just stayed docked to the left side of the screen and was laid over everything else as you moved around.

Anyone experience browsing issues like this? A fix for it? Just something funny with their demo unit? I don't need to get into the pros and cons of each device, believe me, if I'm picking a side it's Android by a landslide.

My solution is not to hunt down and use apps for the different websites, I want to use the browser.

Thanks in advance.

DaBigJMoney
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Works Fine for Me

I use the Chrome browser on my Tab Pro 8.4 and I think the Yahoo home page looks the same as it does on my computer (tabs across the top, down the left and right sides, stories down the middle, etc.).

You can't really go wrong with either tablet IMHO. I chose the Tab Pro because of the expandable storage. For $349 I have a tablet with 16gb internal memory with the ability to add as much as 128gb more. If I chose to go with the 128gb micro sd option ($119 on Amazon) I've put $468 into my tablet and have 144gb storage (minus the space used for the OS and bloatware). That aforementioned price doesn't even get me a 32gb Ipad of any (recent) variety.

It's all about how you want to use the tablet. For me it's all about media consumption, web surfing, gaming, and occasional document editing and review. Having the expandable storage allows me to add all the media I could want without having to pick and choose which apps I'm going to delete because I have such limited storage space.

al2fast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigJMoney View Post
I use the Chrome browser on my Tab Pro 8.4 and I think the Yahoo home page looks the same as it does on my computer (tabs across the top, down the left and right sides, stories down the middle, etc.).

You can't really go wrong with either tablet IMHO. I chose the Tab Pro because of the expandable storage. For $349 I have a tablet with 16gb internal memory with the ability to add as much as 128gb more. If I chose to go with the 128gb micro sd option ($119 on Amazon) I've put $468 into my tablet and have 144gb storage (minus the space used for the OS and bloatware). That aforementioned price doesn't even get me a 32gb Ipad of any (recent) variety.

It's all about how you want to use the tablet. For me it's all about media consumption, web surfing, gaming, and occasional document editing and review. Having the expandable storage allows me to add all the media I could want without having to pick and choose which apps I'm going to delete because I have such limited storage space.
Thanks for the reply. It must have just been the display model at BB. I was eyeballing the refurbs at Apple, but the 32GB model still fetches a hair over $400 when it's in stock.

I have a 32GB card lying around after I got my LG G2. I am primarily going to be doing media consumption at home, so mega storage not a huge deal as I can get all of my media off of my Plex/file server. Just really want a good web browsing experience on a killer display. I think the "office" type apps on the Sammy are better than the iOS equivalents.

Just got an email from BB with $25 in rewards! Woo Hoo!