Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,270 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV][THINK TANK] Two step booting process on the Z2?

Tip us?

DooMLoRD
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 38,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfad666 View Post
Z2 is definitely aligned to the power button, like the rear logo too!

Attachment 2777337
ya exactly! i was just going to say the same thing!

(sorry for OT)

coming back to the topic... can we actually use this in some way?

Hans.physics
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So on this two step booting process, is that why I somehow have TWO recoveries installed at the same time? I installed DoomKernel as part of my original rooting process. I then installed Monx Rom, which installed TWRP. Using Rom Manager, I tried to put CWM back. Now, whenever I reboot to recovery, CWM will come up, but when I reboot system from CWM, it boots to TWRP. From there, when I reboot system, it then boots up to system. Some weird side effects to this too. I lose some installed apps when I finally get back to Android. RSA Secure ID and Go Launcger Ex seem to be the two that are constantly being "forgotten" when I go through this cycle. Also, I did a "Erase SD" from the settings menu. All was good, Ext SD was functioning fine, nice and clean. Then, Reboot recovery and go through the who double recovery cycle and WHAM! My ext sd has ALL the data I erased back on it.

So, is this double boot process you speak of responsible for this behavior?

Thanks,

-Hans

DooMLoRD
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 38,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans.physics View Post
So on this two step booting process, is that why I somehow have TWO recoveries installed at the same time? I installed DoomKernel as part of my original rooting process. I then installed Monx Rom, which installed TWRP. Using Rom Manager, I tried to put CWM back. Now, whenever I reboot to recovery, CWM will come up, but when I reboot system from CWM, it boots to TWRP. From there, when I reboot system, it then boots up to system. Some weird side effects to this too. I lose some installed apps when I finally get back to Android. RSA Secure ID and Go Launcger Ex seem to be the two that are constantly being "forgotten" when I go through this cycle. Also, I did a "Erase SD" from the settings menu. All was good, Ext SD was functioning fine, nice and clean. Then, Reboot recovery and go through the who double recovery cycle and WHAM! My ext sd has ALL the data I erased back on it.

Thanks,

-Hans
No

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

defsix
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:

Thanks,

-Hans
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMLoRD View Post
No

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
LOL !

As for the dual recovery problem, i'd a similar problem on a Sony Tablet S , one boot cycle i had root and X number of apps, on the second boot i had no root and Y number of apps.
Factory reset , full re-flash, factory reset and finally root was the only way I got it back to normal.

vishal_android freak
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,755
Quote:

Thanks,

-Hans
Afaik, rom manager will install a recovery. tar format of recovery which works on chargemon hacking. Bcz we don't have a separate partition for recovery here. So that's why cwm exist in your system and twrp in your kernel :P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My ROMs

| Pure Xperia HD, Official Carbon Rom 4.4.2, Unofficial Omni Rom 4.4.2, AOKP-4.4.2, Unofficial HellKat 4.4.2, Carbon Rom 4.3.1, Dark Xperia |

My Guides and Tools

| All in one drivers guide for ubislate tabs, CWM recovery for a13 tabs |

My kernel

| Super Fusion kernel for all HDPI devices |

Devices I Support

| All 2011 Xperias , Xperia M , Lg p760 and p765, Xperia Tipo, Xperia L |

waynekirby
Old
Thanks Meter 458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal_android freak View Post
Afaik, rom manager will install a recovery. tar format of recovery which works on chargemon hacking. Bcz we don't have a separate partition for recovery here. So that's why cwm exist in your system and twrp in your kernel :P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
But we have FOTA kernel partition do we not? Wouldn't we be able to utilise that for dualbooting?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Want to Get Notified for Incoming SMS And Call with Camera FlashLight try this FlashBlink

Proud member of TeamXperia
GB & ICS Rom's

Juan_Largearm
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynekirby View Post
But we have FOTA kernel partition do we not? Wouldn't we be able to utilise that for dualbooting?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I was just thinking about this while looking at the ROMs on offer at the moment. The googymax kernel I had on my S3 was great as it allowed me to use a stock ROM I could quickly boot in to and record in amazing quality instead of the custom ROM as that used the CM camera which couldn't use the same drivers as the official camera. The kernel also messed with my partitions and uninstalling it led me to have two recoveries, a CWM and a TWRP.

I'd love to see multiboot so I still have the bonus of a custom ROM but still have the option to boot to stock if I want better camera stuff.