[Q] GT-P5113 Only booting to: Firmware upgrade encountered an issue.

Search This thread

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy GT-P5113TS 16GB version.

The initial problem with the tablet was that the Galaxy Tab logo appear but would just hang. It would boot into the firmware download menu with the buttons but not the recovery mode.

Attempted to flash a CWM and/or a Philz Recovery. After the attempted flash (via Odin 1.85) which failed. The tablet could no longer be recognized by Odin. Rebooted the tablet and it now comes up with the error: Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again. The computer and Odin 1.85, and 3.09 all recognize it is there connects to it but fails to install a recovery file, a PIT file, a full firmware (P5113UEUCMK3_HOME.tar.md5)

Kies detects there is a device but fails to recognize it.
Attempting to use Kies says it cannot upgrade or initialize the GT-P5113 after the model number and serial number are entered.

Odin 3.07 is presently the only Odin that goes through the entire process of flashing the Stock ROM.

However, when it completes, there is nothing on the screen. If I leave it for 10 minutes, the screen still remains black.

If I then shut it down, it reboot with the same error message. After trying that and another stock ROM,
Odin is now failing at system.img with the error Xmit Write fail XmitData Fail.

Now it is caught in a boot loop which reboots the tablet constantly (known only by the sound of a USB device disconnecting and reconnecting) and will eventually stop after a random time at the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue". Then I can try it again. I have tried it with the only two 4.2.2 firmwares that I can find on samsung-updates.

I have tried this on two different computers with the same firmware. It just seems to get worse the more I try.

I am not even sure what firmware was on it before as it belongs to a neighbour who asked me to help getting working for him.

Holding down the power button for 10 seconds or more does not shut down or stop the boot loop.

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated it.

Is there anything else I can try that I haven't tried already like a bootable micro SD card? I have searched and I can't find one or the correct information to make my own.

EDIT: Tried it with a PIT file (signed_espresso_20120220_16G.pit) but it fails to upload the PIT file with the error "There is no PIT partition"
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

tokenpoke

Apr 3, 2011
Um... do you know if odin was ever run with "repartition" checked but no pit file?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
Not sure at this point but it is in the realm of possibility.

If it was, is there any way to repartition it? Like with Heimdall or something?

EDIT: This is what was done since posting the above.
OK, I left the tablet charging overnight (well I slept 4 hours or so) and this time it installed the firmware without any errors.

I figure it was that the battery was dead. However, even though it installs the firmware, it still fails if I use the .pit file with the same error of no PIT partition.

Upon reboot, it comes back to the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue" message again.

Last edited:

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
Um... do you know if odin was ever run with "repartition" checked but no pit file?

Yes I tried to re-partition a couple of times using the 16GB PIT file as it is a 16GB Tab 2. But it never completed any attempt to do the re-partition.

It installs the firmware every time now but after when it is finished to do the reboot. The screen remains black until I hold down the power button to shut it down and then it reboots and presents me with the firmware encountered an issue message.

tokenpoke

Apr 3, 2011
Yes I tried to re-partition a couple of times using the 16GB PIT file as it is a 16GB Tab 2. But it never completed any attempt to do the re-partition.

It installs the firmware every time now but after when it is finished to do the reboot. The screen remains black until I hold down the power button to shut it down and then it reboots and presents me with the firmware encountered an issue message.

I think I wasn't clear enough.

Repartitioning without using a pit file can wipe the whole system into one or two partitions.

As far as I know that is an irreparable condition.

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
Is there a way to create a bootable Micro SD card that has a recovery image CWM/TWRP that will allow me to repartition?

I got a heimdall print-pit output from somewhere with the partition block sizes, etc.

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for the help. I think the eMMC was bad to begin with because it was not booting into recovery or even flashing recovery images or booting any of them.

I was hoping there was a way I could make a bootable micro SD that I could format the eMMC, booting to a bootloader from the micro SD card and flashing the stock rom back on.

haniefhusna

Dec 18, 2013
Hi Dechronic, and hi all xda-dev members here,

I think I am experiencing some problem with yours.
My friend asked me to fix his Galaxy Tab P5100. It shows yellow triangle with message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue......"
I did try to enter recovery/download mode by hold power+vol up/down -> Display went blank, then back to yellow triangle.
I did try to flash stock ROM that downloaded from samsung website using Odin 3.10.7, 3.10.6 -> Failed
I did try to flash stock ROM that downloaded from samsung website using Odin 3.07 -> PASS. Then device went blank again. There was no sign of life :( , then I pushed the power button -> Back to yellow triangle, again. :eek:
I tried another flashing -> still same result.
I tried to install CWM from odin -> PASS -> screen went blank again

Did you successfully "wake" your device up? If yes then please share the steps here :)
Many thanks in advance.

Android-Andi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
Hi Dechronic, and hi all xda-dev members here,

I think I am experiencing some problem with yours.
My friend asked me to fix his Galaxy Tab P5100. It shows yellow triangle with message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue......"
I did try to enter recovery/download mode by hold power+vol up/down -> Display went blank, then back to yellow triangle.
I did try to flash stock ROM that downloaded from samsung website using Odin 3.10.7, 3.10.6 -> Failed
I did try to flash stock ROM that downloaded from samsung website using Odin 3.07 -> PASS. Then device went blank again. There was no sign of life :( , then I pushed the power button -> Back to yellow triangle, again. :eek:
I tried another flashing -> still same result.
I tried to install CWM from odin -> PASS -> screen went blank again

Did you successfully "wake" your device up? If yes then please share the steps here :)
Many thanks in advance.
Let me guess, you have KIES installed?
Uninstall KIES if you use Odin or Heimdall to flash via download mode.
Don't use USB-Hubs - use i direct port on your PC/Laptop.

Good luck!

v1v14n

Aug 7, 2011
I have the exact same error on my tab 2 P3100, I tried upgrading through Kies, after entering the Model and serial no it says does not support Initializing.

I downloaded the Stock Rom and flashed using Odin, it shows a successful flash only in Odin 3.07 (other versions of Odin it shows FAIL), but when it reboots it shows the same message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue"

I un-installed Kies and flashed through Odin, yet again the same error message, its just stuck on this screen. Any help like what should I do next?