Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

The 4.4.3 test

OP Mr Dasher

7th June 2014, 02:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

117 posts
I have been using my PRO 12.2 for a couple of months and I am quite happy. Coming from a Google Nexus background (phone and 7" tablet) one of my main concerns with purchasing a Samsung product was it's poor history of providing software updates. I have owned Samsung tablets in the past and always felt stranded by the lack of updated versions of Android.

It will be interesting to see how fast it will take them to push out Android 4.4.3 OTA. 4.4.3 is a minor update so one would think that it would be fairly quick. I really hope Samsung passes the test. Let's see how serious they really are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Dasher For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th June 2014, 11:37 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

67 posts
One of the major Samsung`s disadvantages is the poor support and updates for their whole products starting from smart phones to tablets.
For example Galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition was released in October 2014 with Jelly Bean 4.2 and just weeks ago Samsung started to roll out 4.3 for that great tablet. While they have released the Note Pro 12.2 with the kitkat 4.3 on January 2014...

"If you wanna the recent updates and software go and get their new product or you have to wait for a long time till you get the updates"
I think this is Samsung`s Policy.
7th June 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

117 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh73

One of the major Samsung`s disadvantages is the poor support and updates for their whole products starting from smart phones to tablets.
For example Galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition was released in October 2014 with Jelly Bean 4.2 and just weeks ago Samsung started to roll out 4.3 for that great tablet. While they have released the Note Pro 12.2 with the kitkat 4.3 on January 2014...

"If you wanna the recent updates and software go and get their new product or you have to wait for a long time till you get the updates"
I think this is Samsung`s Policy.

... and that concerns me.
7th June 2014, 01:12 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Please I am a new member here would you please show me how to download akp

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
7th June 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #5  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,037

4,155 posts
More
Samsung does often appear to be neglecting devices when it comes to updates. Fact of the matter is, 99% of the time the cause is a significant problem in the software adaptation.

The Note 3 was the very first non-nexus device to get 4.4.2, so it's not always the case.

You can't measure the release by Nexus standards. The Nexus-release is a glorified beta-test.
7th June 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 16

67 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

Samsung does often appear to be neglecting devices when it comes to updates. Fact of the matter is, 99% of the time the cause is a significant problem in the software adaptation.

The Note 3 was the very first non-nexus device to get 4.4.2, so it's not always the case.

You can't measure the release by Nexus standards. The Nexus-release is a glorified beta-test.

I don`t think so...
Simply there are 2 devices with almost the same hardware specs (Note 10.1 and Note Pro) the first one (10.1) has recently started to get the 4.4.2 update while the Note Pro was released with the Kitkat 4.4.2 on January 2014.

Another example, the upcoming tablets 10.5 S/Note 4/ Tab 4/...etc will be released with the recent updates 4.4.3 which is still not available for any other Tab/Note/Smart Phone...

I think it is not the matter of software adaptation but the priority goes for the upcoming products not those already released....
7th June 2014, 06:26 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 53

53 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

OEMs can access Google's internal Android's sources before they're open-sourced. Nexus isn't a benchmark - it's a public release of already finished firmware, and patching up the final issues, OEM's updates should follow within one-two months, not 6+ months or more. Since Note 3 is still one of their top phablets with no successors, they had to update it quickly enough to make people stay on their devices - if you'd spend 650 pounds on a device and then wait 6 months (if you're lucky) to get an update, you'd probably be pissed off (and rightfully so). They abandon their low-end devices or older flagships quite quickly.

For example, Galaxy S2 (which I own) was updated to 4.1, but not any further, despite being perfectly capable of doing so. According to Samsung, it's because they ran out of memory with TouchWiz bloatware 99.9% folks never use features, despite the fact that S3 was updated to 4.3, and had 1GB RAM - just as S2 did, S2 /system was 512MB, /preload was another 512MB. S3's firmware was ~800MB. So, really, it's just them having crappy business practices.

Another example? Galaxy Mini 2. It's moderately popular in Poland - it's cheap and "just works", and was released with 2.3 - had a couple of point releases, but never got past Gingerbread. There are 4.x ROMs for this phone here, and they're fast and fine. Capable - just Samsung's not interested. Okay, they were - and eventually announced that no update will be released.

I'm honestly admiring Microsoft for their WP8.1 upgrade policy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoon Aethis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th June 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #8  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 201

870 posts
Been there, done that. . My experience with a Verizon galaxy tab 10.1 was enough to convince me not to buy another Verizon variant of a Samsung tablet. If samsung is slow at releasing updates it only gets worse on carrier versions. Look at AT&T... they put in their FCC application at around the same time as Verizon for the Note probut are only now announcing it. In a world where refreshed hardware is released yearly having a 4 month lag in release is a bit concerning.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to muzzy996 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dasher

I have been using my PRO 12.2 for a couple of months and I am quite happy. Coming from a Google Nexus background (phone and 7" tablet) one of my main concerns with purchasing a Samsung product was it's poor history of providing software updates. I have owned Samsung tablets in the past and always felt stranded by the lack of updated versions of Android.

It will be interesting to see how fast it will take them to push out Android 4.4.3 OTA. 4.4.3 is a minor update so one would think that it would be fairly quick. I really hope Samsung passes the test. Let's see how serious they really are.

That's a systemic Android issue. Apple puts out updates to their 7 year old devices, but Android devices are always abandoned in less than a year. Hopefully, we'll get better support for this device.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread