Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Issue with my Z2 (acts up on USB)

OP hanano17

7th June 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Lauderdale
Thanks Meter: 16

135 posts
I tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything entirely on point. My issue is when I plug my Z2 into a pc it goes crazy. A whole lot of lag, and any program I use constantly crashes/refreshes and the screen becomes very unresponsive (i.e. if im typing a text, the keyboard drops down and back up every 2s, or a website will flicker and reload, games will load then crash and reload). Eventually the screen turns off and won't come on again until I remove the plug. It also won't charge off the dock charger. It pops up a msg saying battery is draining faster than it is charging. Here are the the things that lead up to this:

1. I was trying to charge it at work with a sony magnetic charging cable ( I hate opening the flap), and it wouldn't register the charger but the screen would come on when connected. It was previously working fine up to that point with the charger. So I was messing with it to see if the contact points weren't touching and the whole phone shut down. I couldn't get it to turn back on until I got home and used the wall charger, everything else just made the LED flash red but not respond to power + volume up or down (which worked after putting on the wall charger for 20m)

2. I got the OTA update for .402 this morning. So when the initial crash happened I was on .69, but I never tested it on the USB before the .402 update. I've tried a few different USB cords, including the one it comes with. Tested the dock charger on both .69 and .402, neither worked. The charging icon just flashes.

Going to try a repair in PCC.
Last edited by hanano17; 7th June 2014 at 03:57 PM.
7th June 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Lauderdale

135 posts
Well I did a repair. First time around it got half way through updating and auto restoring apps, and it then started failing updates and installs. Rebooted and it boot looped. Redoing the repair, but I'm not hopeful on getting it working properly again

I know its under warranty, but since I got imported it from Taiwan are they going to give me a lot of grief to get it fixed/replaced?

EDIT: No dice, still can't use usb to pc or the magnetic charging dock. Really disappointed. No one has any ideas?
Last edited by hanano17; 7th June 2014 at 10:18 PM.
8th June 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Lauderdale

135 posts
Contacted support via chat, they had me call and they said they don't have parts or the phone in the US to service me yet, and so my options are to call long distance to UK or Tiawan or wait an unspecified time for them to have the phone/parts in the US to service it. Not sure I want to call long distance, who knows how long i'd be on the phone and how big the bill would end up being >.< Pretty sure this will be my first and last import.
8th June 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 73

419 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanano17

I tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything entirely on point. My issue is when I plug my Z2 into a pc it goes crazy. A whole lot of lag, and any program I use constantly crashes/refreshes and the screen becomes very unresponsive (i.e. if im typing a text, the keyboard drops down and back up every 2s, or a website will flicker and reload, games will load then crash and reload). Eventually the screen turns off and won't come on again until I remove the plug. It also won't charge off the dock charger. It pops up a msg saying battery is draining faster than it is charging. Here are the the things that lead up to this:

1. I was trying to charge it at work with a sony magnetic charging cable ( I hate opening the flap), and it wouldn't register the charger but the screen would come on when connected. It was previously working fine up to that point with the charger. So I was messing with it to see if the contact points weren't touching and the whole phone shut down. I couldn't get it to turn back on until I got home and used the wall charger, everything else just made the LED flash red but not respond to power + volume up or down (which worked after putting on the wall charger for 20m)

2. I got the OTA update for .402 this morning. So when the initial crash happened I was on .69, but I never tested it on the USB before the .402 update. I've tried a few different USB cords, including the one it comes with. Tested the dock charger on both .69 and .402, neither worked. The charging icon just flashes.

Going to try a repair in PCC.

Are you using the original USB cable ?
8th June 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Lauderdale

135 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by defsix

Are you using the original USB cable ?

Yup, I've tried the one it came with and 3 others.
8th June 2014, 11:48 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 73

419 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanano17

Yup, I've tried the one it came with and 3 others.

oh.

I'd an older xperia that would get upset when I wouldn't use the original cable. It would cause random touch screen interactions.

If you've tried everything it probably time for a a warranty repair / swapout
8th June 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Lauderdale

135 posts
Yeah, that's pretty much what the US sony rep told me. Its just going to be a hassle to contact someone outside of the US. I'm gonna try to email or e-chat before trying an expensive call :/

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread