Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,250 Members 41,846 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Random reboot and phantom button press, even in CWMR

Tip us?

Kefka88
Old
(Last edited by Kefka88; 8th June 2014 at 11:07 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Random reboot and phantom button press, even in CWMR

Hi, I need help for my I777... I really don't know what to do.
I have been on Slim Bean for 5 months (previously I had CyanogenMod 9 & 10), but four days ago it started to reboot randomly. At first I didn't pay much attention to these crashes, but then they became more and more frequent, until the free interval was only a few seconds. There were no strange processes active, and even wipe cache / wipe dalvik / fix permissions solved the problem. In the meantime I also noticed that the phone was doing like phantom power button presses, and it did also while I was in CWMR, making it really hard for me to do this things.
I did a full wipe and clean install, but nothing changed.
So I tried to revert back to stock gingerbread with heimdall on my mac, and to flash different official rom versions, either rooted or non rooted... but nothing worked. Countless full wipes, mr Cook wipe script... nothing. The phone even rebooted while it was in download mode and Heimdall was flashing new kernel and rom.
I tried also with odin from a PC. The last firmware I flashed was official UCMD8 Jeally Bean Stock, non rooted, from your download repository, which also had bootloader in it... but nothing.
Reebots are still there. It seems that random presses are gone on Stock Recovery, but maybe it's just a matter of time... while the phone is switched on phantom presses are still there.

I tried everything I know... events seem to be completely random and I can't find any trigger for them. The problem is passing from rom to rom without noticeable changes... I don't know what to do.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much... and sorry for the long post, but it's quite difficult to describe such a strange behaviour.

SteveMurphy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2114
Sounds to me like a faulty power button. There are a few guides on how to repair it yourself, or you can send it in to Mobile Tech Videos and they can fix it for you at a price.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cyril279
Old
Thanks Meter 1051
I agree with SteveMurphy, you have described the classic symtoms of a failing power button.

Before attempting a replacement, or sending it off, I do suggest buying/trying a can of contact-cleaner (after completely removing the board from the device). This worked for me us a few months ago, and has reportedly worked for others as well.

-Cyril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka88 View Post
[...]it started to reboot randomly. [...]but then they became more and more frequent, [...]I also noticed that the phone was doing like phantom power button presses, and it did also while I was in CWMR, making it really hard for me to do this things.[...]The phone even rebooted while it was in download mode and Heimdall was flashing new kernel and rom.[...]The last firmware I flashed was official UCMD8 Jeally Bean Stock, non rooted, [...]
Reebots are still there. It seems that random presses are gone on Stock Recovery, but maybe it's just a matter of time... while the phone is switched on phantom presses are still there.[...]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kefka88
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
I agree with SteveMurphy, you have described the classic symtoms of a failing power button.

Before attempting a replacement, or sending it off, I do suggest buying/trying a can of contact-cleaner (after completely removing the board from the device). This worked for me us a few months ago, and has reportedly worked for others as well.

-Cyril
I tried this solution, but it didn't work... Tomorrow I'll go to a local repair centre and see if they can do something for me!

Thank you guys