Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 44,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Coarse location for localizzation

Tip us?

hihlander
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Coarse location for localizzation

Hey I request Network access authorization in my app so I can retrieve the coarse location of user and send it to ad network. I am wondering if ic can turn users away because my app doesn't actually need the location of the user except for the ad network for custom ads. Do you think turning this off will get me more users? Is there a way to directly find the location of the users using the language settings?

iapps
Old
Thanks Meter 22
An alternative is to read the device locale setting using the locale class of java http://developer.android.com/referen...il/Locale.html

This class has methods that will give you the device language and country setting. Of course some users might have set their phone to their mother tongue and associated country while they live in a different country. Eg a Chinese living in USA having set his phone locale to Chinese

Depending on your goals this might be acceptable or not.

Regarding the permission to access the internet it might be necessary if you want to display ads from an ad network. But you seem to be aware of this since you say you want to display custom ads. I suppose that these custom ads will be included in you app apk file.