[SOLVED] Moto G 4.4.3 Update Puts Phone in Boot Loop?

Search This thread

NerdNoob1210

Jun 8, 2014
I have a Moto G X1032 rooted with TWRP installed. I've been using the stock firmware for 4.4.2 without any issues for a while, but after June 6th's OTA update to 4.4.3, my phone has gotten stuck in a boot loop. It turns on and runs Android as usual, without any issues, for less than a minute and then shuts down. It then continues to boot back up and continue the process. The only way to stop the loop is to boot into the bootloader from TWRP and power off the phone from there. Luckily I have a backup to that reverts me back to 4.4.2, which successfully stops the loop. But after several attempts to update to 4.4.3, it has become quite clear that this boot loop is inevitable unless I stick with 4.4.2. I read an article that seems to address some conflict with rooted phones and 4.4.3, but I'm not quite sure what the conflict is. Can anyone explain to me why this boot loop is most likely happening, what I could do to fix it, or if it is even possible to have a rooted X1032 with 4.4.3 installed? Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

secretkloud

Oct 7, 2013
I have a Moto G X1032 rooted with TWRP installed. I've been using the stock firmware for 4.4.2 without any issues for a while, but after June 6th's OTA update to 4.4.3, my phone has gotten stuck in a boot loop. It turns on and runs Android as usual, without any issues, for less than a minute and then shuts down. It then continues to boot back up and continue the process. The only way to stop the loop is to boot into the bootloader from TWRP and power off the phone from there. Luckily I have a backup to that reverts me back to 4.4.2, which successfully stops the loop. But after several attempts to update to 4.4.3, it has become quite clear that this boot loop is inevitable unless I stick with 4.4.2. I read an article that seems to address some conflict with rooted phones and 4.4.3, but I'm not quite sure what the conflict is. Can anyone explain to me why this boot loop is most likely happening, what I could do to fix it, or if it is even possible to have a rooted X1032 with 4.4.3 installed? Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The bootloop is caused by the recovery. It can't update 4.4.3 and keeps trying. Start the update again and let the OTA file download, then copy it out of /cache and into the sdcard. If it's not in cache it won't bootloop. I suggest flashing PhilZ recovery and updating with that instead. Flash the file in the sdcard and post whatever errors are listed...

Reactions: NerdNoob1210

NerdNoob1210

Jun 8, 2014
The bootloop is caused by the recovery. It can't update 4.4.3 and keeps trying. Start the update again and let the OTA file download, then copy it out of /cache and into the sdcard. If it's not in cache it won't bootloop. I suggest flashing PhilZ recovery and updating with that instead. Flash the file in the sdcard and post whatever errors are listed...

Thank you. I will try that. Before I do though, do you know of any places I could find 4.4.3 online, so I could just download it from my PC and flash it over via sideload? I usually prefer to flash things that way, rather than straight from the phone.

Last edited:

NerdNoob1210

Jun 8, 2014
Are you saying you tried to install the OTA with TWRP installed and not the stock recovery?
Yes. This is my first time doing so, excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. In retrospect, I suppose I should have known there must be a different method with which I install it. Secretkloud gave me a good suggestion though. Is there a reason in particular as to why I can't do OTA updates with custom recovery installed?

NerdNoob1210

Jun 8, 2014
I just downloaded the zip from my phone and flashed it from Phillz recovery. It worked very well and the update was successful. Thanks for pointing me to Phillz recovery by the way. It's the only functional recovery image that allows me to mount the sdcard.

Reactions: secretkloud

secretkloud

Oct 7, 2013
Thank you. I will try that. Before I do though, do you know of any places I could find 4.4.3 online, so I could just download it from my PC and flash it over via sideload? I usually prefer to flash things that way, rather than straight from the phone.
Copy the one you have in your phone onto your PC. Smallest chance of error if you do it that way...

Reactions: NerdNoob1210

dvdgremlin

Jun 7, 2014
London
it's not easy getting out of the loop.

I did a factory reload of a rooted phone with CWM.

Now for the CWM issue the Moto G loaded OK and then said there was an update for android to fix some bugs. This was 4.4.3. I loaded it and it gets half way and it then says

"Signature verification fail"

at the bottom of the screen and

" Install Untrusted Package"

The options are yes, no or go back

at the top....

whichever one I try it then tries to boot shows the Android / Motorola screen and starts up gets a txt message for 2-3 seconds... it then goes back to Android CWM recovery with the same options as above and repeats the process. again and again and again. No function keys will stop this cycle which just repeats again. This continues until the battery dies.

any ideas ? how can I override this action in CWM v6.0.4.6 and force it to do a factory reload ? any help or advice much appreciated.

NerdNoob1210

Jun 8, 2014
If you can still power your phone, can you still access the boot loader? If so, I would suggest using adb from a computer to flash Phillz recovery. CWM always gave me a lot of random errors when flashing items. You could use PhillZ to flash the stock ROM for 4.4.2. After that, just follow the same process I did. Download the update zip via the OTA download when it prompts you. Once it's finished, DON'T boot back into Android. Boot into Phillz recovery from the boot loader, move the zip out of the cache and onto sdcard or your computer, and then flash it either straight from the phone or by sideloading it from your computer. Then you'll have a working version of vanilla 4.4.3, and you can flash over a custom ROM in the future if you so choose.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dvdgremlin

Jun 7, 2014
London
If you can still power your phone, can you still access the boot loader? If so, I would suggest using adb from a computer to flash Phillz recovery. CWM always gave me a lot of random errors when flashing items. You could use PhillZ to flash the stock ROM for 4.4.2. After that, just follow the same process I did. Download the update zip via the OTA download when it prompts you. Once it's finished, DON'T boot back into Android. Boot into Phillz recovery from the boot loader, move the zip out of the cache and onto sdcard or your computer, and then flash it either straight from the phone or by sideloading it from your computer. Then you'll have a working version of vanilla 4.4.3, and you can flash over a custom ROM in the future if you so choose.

unfortunately I can't get into bootloader. I can connect usb and it makes no difference. therefore adb commands dont work. it just goes straight into screen described with those three options. I'm hoping that there is an override action in CWM which isn't power and volume down which do nothing.

thanks for the suggestion tho. it was a good idea. :)

NerdNoob1210

Jun 8, 2014
Hm... Without access to the boot loader, I'm not sure there's much of anything you can do anymore... You've completely lost the ability to communicate any sort of commands to your phone save for the 3 options that menu provides. I assume that what CWM is trying to do is install the zip from your cache and is failing to do so. The only viable option would be to flash a new recovery image and install the zip manually, but that's impossible for you given your current circumstances. I would give up looking for an override command for CWM, your best hope is to find an alternative means with which you can access your boot loader. I suggest you start a thread dedicated to your issue and see if a more experienced user can provide you with the information you need. Sorry, I hope you get the help you need. :/

dvdgremlin

Jun 7, 2014
London
Thanks for trying to help. I have followed your advice and opened a thread :)

Hm... Without access to the boot loader, I'm not sure there's much of anything you can do anymore... You've completely lost the ability to communicate any sort of commands to your phone save for the 3 options that menu provides. I assume that what CWM is trying to do is install the zip from your cache and is failing to do so. The only viable option would be to flash a new recovery image and install the zip manually, but that's impossible for you given your current circumstances. I would give up looking for an override command for CWM, your best hope is to find an alternative means with which you can access your boot loader. I suggest you start a thread dedicated to your issue and see if a more experienced user can provide you with the information you need. Sorry, I hope you get the help you need. :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you saying you tried to install the OTA with TWRP installed and not the stock recovery?
    Just go into recovery clear all cache,kavik cache that should do
    I just downloaded the zip from my phone and flashed it from Phillz recovery. It worked very well and the update was successful. Thanks for pointing me to Phillz recovery by the way. It's the only functional recovery image that allows me to mount the sdcard.
    Copy the one you have in your phone onto your PC. Smallest chance of error if you do it that way...