Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,341 Members 48,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] G2 $399 at T-Mobile - a good deal?

Tip us?

starfcker69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] G2 $399 at T-Mobile - a good deal?

I see it's available for $399 at T-Mobile. So $200+ less than the current "flagship" phones that are pretty boring IMO.
Do you guys still like the G2? Is it easy to root? Any problems with it other than the weird buttons on the back?

I took a look at it at a local corporate store. The one on display was messed up and the rep of course told me it was a "bad" phone and I needed to get an s5.

Thanks!

starfcker69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfcker69 View Post
I see it's available for $399 at T-Mobile. So $200+ less than the current "flagship" phones that are pretty boring IMO.
Do you guys still like the G2? Is it easy to root? Any problems with it other than the weird buttons on the back?

I took a look at it at a local corporate store. The one on display was messed up and the rep of course told me it was a "bad" phone and I needed to get an s5.

Thanks!
50 views and no replies. I'm going to pass on the G2 and wait for the Moto x+!

Shaffer678
Old
Thanks Meter 31
The phone is nice ! I've had it since February. I have no complaints about the phone however when the the g3 comes out we are going back to Verizon because T-Mobile just isn't cutting it. I had no issues rooting it and the buttons on the back were weird at first but now are natural to me. One thing though these forums are dead not a lot of development like I was used to coming from the note 2 . but like I said I think its a great phone

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

starfcker69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer678 View Post
The phone is nice ! I've had it since February. I have no complaints about the phone however when the the g3 comes out we are going back to Verizon because T-Mobile just isn't cutting it. I had no issues rooting it and the buttons on the back were weird at first but now are natural to me. One thing though these forums are dead not a lot of development like I was used to coming from the note 2 . but like I said I think its a great phone

I'm concerned about lack of development - rooting Kit Kat. Thanks.

caaznkid
Old
Thanks Meter 58
The regular g2 forum is pretty active. Development for t-mobile seems like it kind of sucks. Good luck.

Odysseus1962
Old
Thanks Meter 446
I've been a loyal T-Mobile customer for over 10 years, the last 8 without a contract. So I've been able to leverage my status as a long-time user to secure for myself an outstanding price for my unlimited data plan that no other carrier comes remotely close to matching. That said, I got my G2 on Sunday after my trusty Amaze was stolen from my car on Friday night while fueling-up on my way home from work.

I walked into the T-Mobile store with the intention of getting a Nexus 5, but left with the G2. For the same price there is no comparison. The longer battery life, better sound quality and camera, along with the doubled storage capacity sold me. I personally can't justify spending more than 400 bucks for any handset that will be obsolete in a couple of years and with performance and features that rival those devices that cost over $200 more, I thought it was a no brainer.

As far as the comments about lack of development are concerned, it doesn't bother me. I plan on compiling my own Cyanogenmod, Pac-ROM, and Evervolv as soon as I get bored with stock and get time off from work. Besides, in the few days I've used this device I've found its OS to be one of the best stock Android I've ever used (I like it way more than any version of Sense that I've used). It doesn't deviate too far from ASOP yet has additional tweaking that is normally only found in custom ROMs. In fact, if I can get some time to figure out how to root and install a compatible aftermarket recovery, I might just deodex and debloat it and leave it as is for awhile.

As I said, at its current $398 price point it's got more bang for the buck than any of the other handsets T-Mobile is selling.

Just my 2 cents

Ciao
Current device: LG G2 (D801)
ROM: Stock KK-4.4.2 - rooted and debloated by me.
An incredible handset. The first smartphone I've owned where I didn't immediately replace the stock ROM.

Previous device: HTC Amaze 4G
Final ROM: CM-10 - Compiled and customized by me
To whoever stole it: What goes around comes around!

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP

sam298
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I considered nexus 5, galaxy 4, htc m8 and lg g2. I came from nexus 4 and the battery life was close to my previous iphone 4s. lg g2 is almost 3 times longer than nexus 4 with one charge. So, nexus 4 is removed from list. HTC is great but the price difference is huge and so it is out. Samsung 4 price was higher, galaxy s3 price was close to lg g2. After checking specs, performance, battery, lg g2 is a clear winner.

So far i have only 2 minor issues.
Swiftkey app is not compatible with this and causes lots of FC. It took me a week to figure out what was causing the FC. I have to update to a beta and then uninstall it - now no issues so far.
3 out of 5 times, i hit the home button when trying to type space in the keyboard. I installed g3 keyboard - has lots of options, so far good.

If you have about $400 or so in your pocket, I highly recommend this phone.

I believe this phone is capable of the future tmobile Voice Over LTE. But I am not sure if this will handle the 700hz band that tmobile is planning to implement - recently they bought from verizon. When i tried the hidden menu, that band is not available - but specs say it is compatible. May be it will show up if I unlock the phone or if install a non-stock ROM??
So, it is future proof at least for some time .....
Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB | Stock Rooted 4.4.4 | TWRP 2.7.1.0 Touch | TS-10
Kindle Fire HD 7" | Liquidsmooth | Kindle Fire First Aide
LG G2 Tmobile D801 | Cloudy G3 1.2