Battery tips and tricks [no root].

Search This thread

nexus_vl

Jan 19, 2014
Mol
OnePlus 7 Pro
OPPO Find X3 Neo
Fast Dormancy and Force close Android system both work great for me and I definitly notice the diference, thanks!
LG MLT is not in the hidden menu, I see MLT Test and LG RCT but no LG MLT.
Although not really a battery tweak, more like less lag tweak, I noticed the cpu spending more time in lower frequenties: hidden menu -> High Temperature Property OFF -> turn ON

Last edited:
Reactions: vPro97

davjan

Jun 2, 2008
willebroek
Fast Dormancy and Force close Android system both work great for me and I definitly notice the diference, thanks!
Although not really a battery tweak, more like less lag tweak, I noticed the cpu spending more time in lower frequenties: hidden menu -> High Temperature Property OFF -> turn ON

In MLT TEST you can turn MLT off

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk

Reactions: vPro97 and nexus_vl

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
The High Temperature Property is widely known to reduce lags on some devices but nobody knows EXACTLY what it does, but here's an explanation:

We all know that thermal throttling of the CPU occurs when the CPU gets too hot. The CPU will then throttle down the frequency of its cores when they reach a certain temperature.

This is how I've understood it after reading many many thread on this topic.
1. LG has set the temperature threshold is lower than the threshold set by Qualcomm. LG's throttling is, in other words, more agressive than the default is. So by putting it OFF, the Temperature threshold is set to Qualcomms limit. What that means for the user is, that instead of CPU frequency throttling starting at 60 degrees Celsius it will then start at 70 or 75 degress.
This allows the CPU to run at max load for longer periods of time and allow it to run hotter - while there's no evidence that it will damage the chip, it's there for a reason and I wouldn't turn it off since I occasionally play demanding games.

Why it exactly reduces lag in the man UI is something I never figured out. After updating to 4.4.2 I never really noticed lags in the UI.

Reactions: hanifh and nexus_vl

nexus_vl

Jan 19, 2014
Mol
OnePlus 7 Pro
OPPO Find X3 Neo
The High Temperature Property is widely known to reduce lags on some devices but nobody knows EXACTLY what it does, but here's an explanation:

We all know that thermal throttling of the CPU occurs when the CPU gets too hot. The CPU will then throttle down the frequency of its cores when they reach a certain temperature.

1. LG has set the temperature threshold is lower than the threshold set by Qualcomm. LG's throttling is, in other words, more agressive than the default is. So by putting it OFF, the Temperature threshold is set to Qualcomms limit. What that means for the user is, that instead of CPU frequency throttling starting at 60 degrees Celsius it will then start at 70 or 75 degress.
This allows the CPU to run at max load for longer periods of time and allow it to run hotter - while there's no evidence that it will damage the chip, it's there for a reason and I wouldn't turn it off since I occasionally play demanding games.

Why it exactly reduces lag in the man UI is something I never figured out. After updating to 4.4.2 I never really noticed lags in the UI.

LG's treshold seems to be around 70 before, Now it's around 73 , not much higher.
But it does seem to work, maybe LG's threshold controller itself is causing a slight lag.

Reactions: vPro97

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
LG's treshold seems to be around 70 before, Now it's around 73 , not much higher.
But it does seem to work, maybe LG's threshold controller itself is causing a slight lag.

That's possible. I don't know how many degress it adds but some people notice a difference, others don't. I didn't so I decided to leave it off :) Thanks for your input!

Reactions: nexus_vl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a guide on how to prolong battery life of the G2. Some tips are general for all device, while others are more specific.

1. Disable bloat

What one would perceive as bloat varies from person to person. On my D802 I've disabled the following.

Chrome
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Magazines
    Google Play Games
    Google Search
    Google+
    Hangouts
    LG GNSS
    Life Suare
    Life Square Log Manager
    Slide aside
    Voice Mate
    VuTalk

IcemanF-22 has made a list for LS980 (Sprint version) (CREDIT GOES TO HIM/HER). His/her list is more thorough but some stuff are carrier specific and not available on the Open D802.

Taken from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521066

------Bloatware Froze------
    Sprint Android Requirements 4.1-1
    Sprint Connections Optimizer 1.4.601
    Sprint ID 1.9.22
    Sprint Installer
    Sprint Worldwide 1.0
    Sprint Zone 4.5.31
    SprintExtensionProvider (Used by VVM)
    Update Device 4.5.1.10 (Used in Software Updates: Update PRL, Update Profile, etc..)
    ------Bloatware Removed------
    LGSystemSaver (Activates QuickView window if you have a QuickView case)
    Voice Mate (LG "Siri")
    Maluuba QVoice Interface 1.3.4q
    QVoice Engine 4.1605.36624R (Required by Voice Mate)
    QVoice Speech Pack 4.0100.33464
    AAT 4.2.2
    Answer Me 1.0 (Answers phone when put to ear) Thanks to: WhiteZero
    App Updates 4.0.80
    Camer test 1.0.14
    CloudHub 1.20.12
    ELTest 1.0
    Favorite Contacts-Widget 4.1.4
    GNSS-Air=Test 4.2.2..
    GnssTest 1.2.3.22
    Google Backup Transport 4.2.2-612687
    Goolge Play Books 2.8.61
    Google Play Magazines 2.0.0
    Google Play Movies & TV 2.4.14
    Google Play Music 5.0.1041J.689753
    Google+ 3.6.0.44338848
    Key Chain 4.22
    LG Backup 4.0.20.2
    LG GNSS-1.0
    LG Intelligent Agent 0.6.1
    LG MLT 2.4.7 (http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2187920)
    LG TTS+ 2.3.0.4-E2M1
    LG VPN 2.6.1
    LGATCMD-Service 4..80ZV7..
    LGInstallService 4.0.70
    LGSearchWidgetProivder 4.0.6
    LGSetupWizard 4.3.019
    Life Square 4.0.28
    Life Square Log Manager 2.5.42
    MirrorLink Cert Test - 80ZV7.1378543552
    Mobile print 1.1.101
    NextRadio1.0
    Notebook 4.0.21
    Pico TTS 1.0
    Plug & Pop 4.2.16 (http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2460568)
    POLARIS Office View 5.5.0.x
    Qualcomm IZat 1.0
    Shutdown Monitor 80ZV7
    SmartShare-Beam 1.045
    SmarShareProvider 1.0.14
    Task Manager 4.0.15
    Text Link 4.3.13
    Text Link Engine 1.6.6
    TextTranslator 4.1.10
    The Little Prince 3.0.18
    Update Center 4.0.60
    Video Editor 4.0.70
    Video Trim 4.0.19
    VMWare Ready 1.3.2
    VPNDialogs 4.2.2.L.80ZV7.1378543552
    VUTalk 4.0.33
    Widevine Keybox Test 80ZV7.1378543552

2. The Hidden Menu

There are a number of tweaks that can be done in the hidden menu. DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything you do to your device. The hidden menu is hidden for obvious reasons!

To enter it, type one of the following codes in the dialer:

3845#*801# (for T-Mobile variants)
    3845#*803# (for AT&T and Canadian variants)
    3845#*802# (for European variants)
    3845#*800# (for At&T model)

The tweaks you can do here, are amongst others, changing Fast Dormancy mode and disabling LG MLT. You can also disable Temperature throttling which fixes camera lag and fixes lags in general but I would not recommend it. LG left it off for a reason, don't you think?.

What is Fast Dormancy mode? Read more about it here: http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/at-your-own-risk-how-to-disable-fast.html
    Basically if your carrier doesn't have it and your phone has it enabled, an unnecessary drain will occur (sometimes even keeping the phone awake which can be seen as wakelocks). If you have disabled it but your carrier has it on their network a battery drain will also occur, therefore consult your carrier whether they support Fast Dormancy Mode or not.

By default, it was "unknown" on my D802.
    I disabled it by going into the hidden menu as stated above, and go into settings > FastDormancy. There you can change it to either Enabled or Disabled in accordance with the settings of your carrier.

- LG MLT
    In the hidden menu, scroll down to LG MLT. Disable it by unchecking the "Enable" box. Reboot your device.
    You will notice that you have more free ram and battery life will be improved a bit.

3. Disable Knock-on
    This is the sad truth - one of the most beloved features of the phone is to double tap to wake it. But when you need more juice, it can be a good idea to disable it as it usually accounts for 7-10% of the battery drain. It's not a big deal if you are home or have a charger within reach, but disabling this awesome feature can actually give you about 1 hour extra of screen on time and the idle drain is noticable lower.

Disable this by going into settings > general > gestures and disable it by unchecking the box.

4. Force close Android system (may/may not work)

This tip is not widely known and doesn't work for everybody, but force closing the android system after each reboot can make the Android System consumption a good bit smaller. Do this by going into settings > general > apps > all > android system > force close. It will start up immediately after and it will not harm your phone.

5. Kill'em wakelocks!
    I don't know who you are. But I will find you. And I will kill you.
    To find those pesky apps keeping your phone awake, download Better Battery Stats from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809
    And either GSam Battery Monitor from Google Play or Wakelock Detector from Google Play. It will show you what apps have been keeping your phone awake when you put it to sleep.

6. Disable location services from Google
    To disable this, do the following: Apps > Google Settings > Location > uncheck Access location
    You can also disable Android Device Manager for a bit extra juice.

7. Auto-sync only what you really, really need

Auto-Sync kills battery. Period. Make up your mind, do you really have to be notified whenever an email arrives, or can you wait until you have time to check for new e-mails? If you can, you can also save a bit of battery. Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber and other apps that require you to be online at all times do kill battery as well. It can be managed a bit by installing

8. 2x Battery
    Intelligently manages your internet connection by disabling it after you lock your device, and enables it for 2 minutes every 15 minutes to check for new messages and so on. The only downside is that there will be a delay receiving whatsapps and viber calls. This can be disabled easily if you are waiting for someone to call/message you. The app can be found on Google Play. I personally found a negligible increase in battery life using the application.

9. Remove Rogue Apps
    Believe it or not - some apps can cause a battery drain even if you don't use them at all! Make sure you delete the apps you no longer use and if you notice a decrease in battery life after installing an app, try uninstalling it and see if the battery life is better.

A Note about Wakelock Detectors and Better Battery Stats in 4.4.2 KitKat

Chances are you have updated to 4.4 kitkat by now. The problem with KitKat is, that you are no longer able to see the details about what is draining your battery. Therefore you need to manually check for rogue apps (and that may occasionally require you to delete apps you like) and find better alternatives.

CarrierIQ - US CARRIERS ONLY

Want your carrier to earn money selling information about you? No, do you?

To disable this, do the following (Credits go to burningembers):

Install System Tuner from Google Play store.

Click the red System Android, click Android System, Details, then uncheck all 7 CarrierIQ related processes.

This list is not complete. If you have any additions, please post them here and I will update this thread!

Updated for 4.4.2 =) Enjoy!

In MLT TEST you can turn MLT off

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
    The code 3845#*802# does not work on my international lg d802

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium HD app

That's the first time i hear about that issue, mate. It works perfectly for me.