Ask a question

No registration required

iOS 8 stealing thunder from Android?

OP Juangueo

9th June 2014, 01:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Legit question here... don't wanna turn this into a iOS vs. Android deal.

I switched to Android almost two years ago, primarily for it's extensibility and flexibility. 1 year later I started tinkering with custom ROM's, kernels, etc. and I honestly don't see myself returning to an iPhone again.

It now seems Apple will follow suit with a more extensible/flexible (although restrictive) approach in iOS 8 - think "widgets", 3rd party keyboards, touchID API, etc.

I wonder if such shift moving forward could somehow stop a significant enough number of users from exploring the Android world in the first place, effectively slowing down the consistent growth-rate Android has enjoyed in the past couple of years.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Juangueo; 9th June 2014 at 01:29 PM.
9th June 2014, 01:39 PM   |  #2  
Flag Frosinone
Thanks Meter: 775

1,999 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juangueo

It now seems Apple will follow suit with a more extensible/flexible (although restrictive) approach in iOS 8 - think "widgets", 3rd party keyboards, touchID API, etc.

I wonder if such shift moving forward could somehow stop a significant enough number of users from exploring the Android world in the first place, effectively slowing down the consistent growth-rate Android has enjoyed in the past couple of years.

Thoughts?

Yeah, this sounds kind of legit, but there are two things in which Apple won't ever beat Android: 1. Being open 2. Freedom of choice
iOS won't ever be open source and nobody will ever be able to use APIs that are not approved and given by Apple.
And about freedom of choice, try tell me which are my choices if I want an iOS phone: basically the only thing you can choose is color. Now try to choose an Android phone. One can't just choose easily. And also let's not forget the prices: you can find Android phones starting from less than 100$ while iPhone cost 6-7 times more.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread