Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 47,342 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Installing Thunderkat 4.4.3 on F2FS partitions

Tip us?

vprasad1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Question [Q] Installing Thunderkat 4.4.3 on F2FS partitions

Reading more on F2FS trying to formulate a plan of attackx. Latest TWRP 2.7.1.0 is able to repair/format F2FS partitions, so I'm covered there before installing a ROM.

Some ROMs have the boot.img fstab files mount just /data as F2FS (like a Moto X). Others mount all partitions as F2FS (haven't found any threads comparing benefits of doing all vs. just /data)

/META-INF/Com/Google/android/updater-script needs to be modified to format and mount the appopriate partitions as F2FS.

So for a phased approach, say getting toes wet with just setting up /data for F2FS, is it just
1) editing the ThunderKat_manta-KTU84M-20140607.zip boot.img fstab and changing
Code:
/dev/block/platform/dw_mmc.0/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nomblk_io_submit,errors=panic,
data=ordered 0 0
to

Code:
/dev/block/platform/dw_mmc.0/by-name/userdata /data f2fs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nomblk_io_submit,errors=panic,
data=ordered 0 0
2) editing the ThunderKat_manta-KTU84M-20140607.zip /META-INF/Com/Google/android/updater-script so that it will now do a destructive format of /data to F2FS
Code:
format("f2fs", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/dw_mmc.0/by-name/userdata", "0", "/data");
3) doing the install from TWRP?

Am I on the right track? Miles off?

If I'm on the right track, what's required to do all partitions as F2FS? Would I have to put the ROM to be installed on a USB stick via USB OTG so that the recovery could find it after all the formatting?

craigacgomez
Old
(Last edited by craigacgomez; 8th June 2014 at 09:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2581

DONATE TO ME
I've been messing with this today and so far, I'm getting permissions issues quite possibly related to SELinux. Issues with SELinux relabeling issues are not allowing writing on F2FS partitions...

EDIT: Confirmed my suspicion that it was SELinux related. Attached screenshot shows CM11 4.4.3 with ThunderKat kernel and data partition mounted as F2FS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-07-21-39-35.png
Views:	51
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	2786837  

CRAiG GoMEZ

Donate to me

Google LGE Nexus 5 [D820] | SlimKat (Android 4.4.2) - SlimRoms
Google Samsung Nexus 10 [GT-P8110HAEXAR] ThunderKat (Android 4.4.2) - craigacgomez
The Following User Says Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djd338
Old
(Last edited by djd338; 9th June 2014 at 01:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
Just an idea cause it's so convenient: On my N7 there's an app called "Convert to F2FS" - Play Store. It converts ANY rom to f2fs. It also works for N4 & N5's. Dev states that he'll add other devices if contacted. It works brilliantly & is about a buck & 1/2. It doesn't work on 4.4.3 yet tho

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2