Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Z2 Tablet vs Antutu benchmark app

OP fearofbirds

9th June 2014, 09:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Hi all,

I discovered the Antutu benchmark performance testing app, as I was looking into some lagging i've been experiencing when switching between apps. I've even tried improving performance using SetCPU, but i'm still not completely impressed with this tablet compared with a gen 2 iPad I had previously.

My tablet stacked up OK in the test, but the standard performance of a couple of the Samsung tablets and an HTC phone (I think) was quite a bit better. This was a bit of a shock, as I understood that this tablet was supposed to be a pretty solid performer.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Are my expectations unrealistic? Is there something I should do?

At the moment the tablet is rooted and running Apex Launcher.

Thanks!
9th June 2014, 11:08 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofbirds

Hi all,

I discovered the Antutu benchmark performance testing app, as I was looking into some lagging i've been experiencing when switching between apps. I've even tried improving performance using SetCPU, but i'm still not completely impressed with this tablet compared with a gen 2 iPad I had previously.

My tablet stacked up OK in the test, but the standard performance of a couple of the Samsung tablets and an HTC phone (I think) was quite a bit better. This was a bit of a shock, as I understood that this tablet was supposed to be a pretty solid performer.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Are my expectations unrealistic? Is there something I should do?

At the moment the tablet is rooted and running Apex Launcher.

Thanks!

Both Samsung and HTC are known to be cheating in benchmarks and HTC is still doing it. That said, I don't care about benchmarks. I know what the hardware is capable of and I where hoping for some custom roms to advantage of, but things are moving slow and I may have been a bit too optimistic. One thing I am very happy about compared to my ipad is ram. My ipad keeps killing apps and have to reload when I return. Even having two tabs open in safari and trying to copy/paste between them is a big hassle. I am very happy with mine and have no problems, except marking text is broken at least in chrome (if you drag to extend your selection, it will drop to next line, making it almost impossible to mark the multiple words you want).
9th June 2014, 01:48 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeinert

Both Samsung and HTC are known to be cheating in benchmarks and HTC is still doing it. That said, I don't care about benchmarks. I know what the hardware is capable of and I where hoping for some custom roms to advantage of, but things are moving slow and I may have been a bit too optimistic. One thing I am very happy about compared to my ipad is ram. My ipad keeps killing apps and have to reload when I return. Even having two tabs open in safari and trying to copy/paste between them is a big hassle. I am very happy with mine and have no problems, except marking text is broken at least in chrome (if you drag to extend your selection, it will drop to next line, making it almost impossible to mark the multiple words you want).


Hmm... OK. THanks for the thoughts. I guess it might be that the niggling problems with the z2 are going to be sorted out with software updates by Sony as time progresses - hopefully that is the case.

And i'm really not completely sure of how custom ROMs work and whether they would help, but if that is a prospect i'd definitely take advantage of. For interest, which custom ROM that may soon come out would you recommend? And why?
9th June 2014, 03:28 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofbirds

Hmm... OK. THanks for the thoughts. I guess it might be that the niggling problems with the z2 are going to be sorted out with software updates by Sony as time progresses - hopefully that is the case.

And i'm really not completely sure of how custom ROMs work and whether they would help, but if that is a prospect i'd definitely take advantage of. For interest, which custom ROM that may soon come out would you recommend? And why?

I must be lucky, because I don't experience any of the those touch problem people report. Maybe Sony's have used parts from more suppliers and only parts from a specific supplier experience the problem. I don't know, I just hope for everybody and that it get sorted out.

It is difficult to recommend any rom, when there are none. This is my first Android tablet and I have no experience with the rom situation. However on my phones I have been using carbon rom with great success. It is based on Cyanogenmod, but has additional functionality from other roms. Especially I like the expanded desktop (immersive/fullscreen) functionality and slim-shortcuts to different settings including toggling expanded desktop. I am not using it at the moment though, because I have updated my Htc One m7 to latest Sense 6 rom (or rather a custom rom based on original Sense 6 rom) and whatever HTC have done, it is working, I have never had such a speedy rom. I also like the makeover HTC did with Sense6, so I think I will stay with it, although I used to dislike Sense.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes