Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to update rooted M8

Tip us?

CavyS
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default How to update rooted M8

I got a OTA update today and I "installed" it but I dont see that anything changed Android is still 4.4.3 and software number is still 1.12.502.18. Dont think anything has changed. Also when I do update my phone restarts and goes into the TouchWiz (I think it was) startup screen.

mewikime
Old
Thanks Meter 31
4.4.3 hasn't been released for the carrier version M8s yet. Version 1.12 (and the newest 1.58) is on 4.4.2. TouchWiz is for Samsung products, you probably mean Sense.

If you're rooted it won't have installed - I don't even know if it would have downloaded. But if it did it definitely won't have installed. You need to be completely stock and unrooted for the OTA to take, including setting the tampered flag back to untampered, and relocking the bootloader. S-Off, if you did that, is ok to keep.
The Following User Says Thank You to mewikime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CavyS
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewikime View Post
4.4.3 hasn't been released for the carrier version M8s yet. Version 1.12 (and the newest 1.58) is on 4.4.2. TouchWiz is for Samsung products, you probably mean Sense.

If you're rooted it won't have installed - I don't even know if it would have downloaded. But if it did it definitely won't have installed. You need to be completely stock and unrooted for the OTA to take, including setting the tampered flag back to untampered, and relocking the bootloader. S-Off, if you did that, is ok to keep.
Thanks for the reply man, idk what screen it took me to after it rebooted, it had Install, Backup, Boot, Restart, and a couple other options in it. And yeah thats my fault I meant 4.4.2

But wow what a pain in the ass to update the phone. I'll just wait till 4.4.3 gets released to update.
The Following User Says Thank You to CavyS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mewikime
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavyS View Post
Thanks for the reply man, idk what screen it took me to after it rebooted, it had Install, Backup, Boot, Restart, and a couple other options in it. And yeah thats my fault I meant 4.4.2

But wow what a pain in the ass to update the phone. I'll just wait till 4.4.3 gets released to update.
You could always flash the stock 1.58 rom. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752956

Don't forget to hit the thanks button

sheek360
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefullido View Post
Thanks
im on kangakat 4.4.2 and the phone is telling me i have an update available. is there anyway to disable the pesky "install update now" warning?
gtalk; sheek360
twitter; sh33k360

lostangelintx
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheek360 View Post
im on kangakat 4.4.2 and the phone is telling me i have an update available. is there anyway to disable the pesky "install update now" warning?
Titanium backup

derekdauzat
Old
(Last edited by derekdauzat; 6th June 2014 at 11:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Hi, just got my new m8 and I rooted s_off and unlocked, the picture I uploaded shows my current state... I did not know what I should do next.. such as my version of hboot and radio or firmware.. idk if I should have taken the ota, b4 s_off & unlocking.. I didn't want to take a chance with an ota.. anyway.. as you see in the pic .. this is my status.. I'm stock with twrp 2.7.0.2
And I didn't know if I could just flash skyfall rom being my hboot is different,
What should do.. can I flash roms that say 1.58.502 over what you see in the picture?
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402092221552.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2784641

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 9th June 2014 at 03:19 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2795
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekdauzat View Post
What should do.. can I flash roms that say 1.58.502 over what you see in the picture?
Attachment 2784641
I would say yes. There is not a lot changed in either the hboot or the ROM, that would impact what ROMs you can or can't flash.

I've actually seen its more frequently the case that staying on an older hboot is better, for the purpose of flashing ROMs. For instance on I've seen (my old device) where some AOSP ROMs could not be flashed on newer hboots, due to the fact that the new hboot number has not been included on the version check when the ROM is flashed. Users had to downgrade their hboot in order the flash those ROMs, until the ROMs were updated to include the new hboot number in version check.

If you want to install the new firmware package without the OTA, its been posted in the thread in General about the update; and possibly elsewhere.
EDIT: I see you asked for the firmware package here, and it was linked by another user.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)