Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,501 Members 40,750 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help recovering from water damage

Tip us?

pclaunch
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Unhappy Help recovering from water damage

Back Story: I have a rooted, unlocked M8. An a**hole coworker of mine threw me in a pool while it was in my pocket last night. Got it out and put into rice immediately.

Now phone would turn on and seemed to want to work aside from just being slow to certain touches but other than that it was ok. I started to notice that it was acting up and crashing so i though it might be some sort of software issue. go into recovery and wipe everything to install a new rom but after install using Philz, it just right back to the old rom. No data is missing and the system is not changed. I even tried to restore an old back up but nothing sticks. I get no errors when wiping or installing so I am at a loss right now.

Any new ideas?

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2806
That guy owes you a new phone, period. If he is going to do something so stupid, he needs to learn the lesson that there are consequences.

When my wife dunked her iPhone in the toilet, the Genius Bar employee told her that the phone might be fine, or some things might be broken, or that it might seem fine for a while, then just suddenly stop working. Its like a time bomb, you never know if your phone is going to just stop working now. So the guy should replace the phone.

The M8 is water resistant to some degree (but I don't know about total immersion). I'd dry it for a lot more than overnight. If any water go inside the phone, I don't think drying overnight is sufficient. And any remaining water is a possible point of short circuit or corrosion. Power off and dry it for a day or 2 more.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)