Ask a question

No registration required

Lots of buffering when I stream tab in Chrome

OP Malibuz0r

8th June 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
So I've been using the feature in the Chromecast plugin to cast a tab to view videos.. but it buffers A LOT. Now, I know its not my internet because when I'm on netflix and cast to Chromecast, there's no buffering at all. Same thing with youtube. Is there a fix for this or a workaround to cast flash(mostly) videos?
9th June 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibuz0r

So I've been using the feature in the Chromecast plugin to cast a tab to view videos.. but it buffers A LOT. Now, I know its not my internet because when I'm on netflix and cast to Chromecast, there's no buffering at all. Same thing with youtube. Is there a fix for this or a workaround to cast flash(mostly) videos?

There are generally two reasons you'll see buffering/stuttering when casting a tab or the entire desktop
  1. The audio/video isn't getting from your computer to Chromecast fast enough
  2. Your computer isn't fast enough to provide the audio/video to Chromecast in real-time

Tab and desktop casting essentially requires the computer to
  1. Receive the content from the Internet (load on network)
  2. Display/decode the content (load on CPU)
  3. Encode the content into a Chromecast-friendly format (load on CPU)
  4. Send the encoded content to Chromecast (load on network)

So, if your computer is too busy decoding the content and not enough CPU time is available to encode it to a Chromecast-friendly format, you will get buffer/stutter.
Likewise, if your computer's network connection cannot sustain the download of content from Internet and send of the recompressed content to Chromecast in real-time, you will get buffer/stutter.

Since it sounds like you're viewing Flash video content, make sure Hardware Acceleration is enabled - that should reduce the CPU load when Flash stuff is displaying.

Also note that the "recompress to Chromecast-friendly format" does not seem to be parallelized much, if at all, so a faster single or dual-core suste, will likely do better than a slower multi-core system.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread