Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,032 Members 44,064 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Nexus 10 Support EOL?] Is 4.4.3 the last Nexus 10 update?

Tip us?

vprasad1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Nexus 10 Support EOL?] Is 4.4.3 the last Nexus 10 update?

Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 were released Nov 2012. We're nearing the 2 year End Of Official Support for Nexus devices. If a newer than 4.4.3 OS is announced at this year's I/O would it be available for official release on the 10 before November? Last year A LOT of people were VERY upset that the Galaxy Nexus wasn't getting Kit Kat 4.4.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by vprasad1 View Post
Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 were released Nov 2012. We're nearing the 2 year End Of Official Support for Nexus devices. If a newer than 4.4.3 OS is announced at this year's I/O would it be available for official release on the 10 before November? Last year A LOT of people were VERY upset that the Galaxy Nexus wasn't getting Kit Kat 4.4.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The official life cycle for Nexus devices is actually 18 months, not 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get the next major update (4.5?) on our N10. That being said, 4.4.3 with Xposed Framework is so smooth on this thing that it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me personally. However, I'm sure even if it isn't officially supported, there will be a good AOSP ROM to flash to update if you're feeling burned. That's the beauty of owning a Nexus device. The dev support on these things is unparalleled.

Regarding the Galaxy Nexus, I believe it not receiving Kit Kat was more due to the fact that Texas Instruments had bowed out of the mobile game, so it was impossible to "officially" support. I have since then ditched Verizon and their faux Galaxy Nexus, and picked up a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile. That being said, I am currently using said GNex as a glorified WiFi media device, and it is running the latest Android version (4.4.3) by way of ShinyROM, which is a great AOSP ROM that, if you didn't know any better, was nothing more than stock. This goes back to the fact that it's a Nexus device. Anything is possible.