Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,977 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Scammed on craigslist, need help

Tip us?

rquinn19
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by aer0zer0 View Post
Before i buy any phone on CL, i check swappa to make sure the IMEI isnt blacklisted prior. Getting a name & receipt doesnt do you any good, as they can just fake everything.
What good does checking Swappa do if it's reported stolen once you complete the transaction?

Android The Greek
Old
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
What good does checking Swappa do if it's reported stolen once you complete the transaction?
This^

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Skizzy034
Old
Thanks Meter 906
I don't know how well this would work out for me if I was in that situation, but I was burned on CL before. Lost $900. So now, if I'm not totally sure about the seller, I'll ask for a driver's license picture along with a signature on a written receipt.

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Free mobile app
*NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone. -KidCarter93

My Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/sgutowski77

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo; 9th June 2014 at 05:51 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2827
Its unfortunate the OP got scammed. But just my opinion, the risks of buying something like a smartphone from Craigslist outweigh the benefits. Not just risk of a blacklist, but damage to the item, or just a hardware failure that is no fault of the seller. I prefer to buy from a source with a reliable means of return and refund/exchange, even if its cost a bit more. And if its more than a "bit" of a difference, as they say: if a deal seems too good to be true, its because it is.

MOD EDIT
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

gokun
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Its unfortunate the OP got scammed. But just my opinion, the risks of buying something like a smartphone from Craigslist outweigh the benefits. Not just risk of a blacklist, but damage to the item, or just a hardware failure that is no fault of the seller. I prefer to buy from a source with a reliable means of return and refund/exchange, even if its cost a bit more. And if its more than a "bit" of a difference, as they say: if a deal seems too good to be true, its because it is.
Yeah, I stick with ebay/paypal for buying used phones for that very reason...if something is wrong I have a means by which to get my money back. And even there you still have to exercise some due diligence.

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13817

DONATE TO ME
Thread Closed.

While there is nothing wrong with asking for a legal and legitimate means to getting a phone to work again who's IMEI has been blacklisted, it opens up discussion for alternate illegal means to getting the device to work.

My suggestion to you is to contact the Service Provided that has blacklisted the device's IMEI and notify them that you'd purchased it on-line, and try to convince them to allow you to use it on their network under your currently paying service.

The chances that they will do this for you however are very slim.
Best of luck,

Neo
Forum Moderator

New? | How2XDA | Rules | GPL | Get A Mod | Staff | Apply - RC/RT | Apply - RD | Apply - Mod
New to the HTC One Max? - Check This | Kernel Sources: Vigor | Fireball | Inc | M7 | T6 | M8
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe