Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel

Up until now, if you wanted to get root on Android 5.0, you needed to flash a modified … more

Android App Review: Get Amaze with Material Design – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. Android 5.0 … more

Small But Eternal: HTC Explorer Receives Unofficial CM12

When HTC officially announced the HTC Explorer, they most likely weren’t … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

Scammed on craigslist, need help

OP Red_Devil6

7th June 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #11  
Flag Phila
Thanks Meter: 226

1,272 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aer0zer0

Before i buy any phone on CL, i check swappa to make sure the IMEI isnt blacklisted prior. Getting a name & receipt doesnt do you any good, as they can just fake everything.

What good does checking Swappa do if it's reported stolen once you complete the transaction?
7th June 2014, 04:28 AM   |  #12  
Flag Pottstown
Thanks Meter: 344

1,242 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19

What good does checking Swappa do if it's reported stolen once you complete the transaction?

This^

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
8th June 2014, 07:01 AM   |  #13  
Flag Amsterdam, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,013

4,956 posts
I don't know how well this would work out for me if I was in that situation, but I was burned on CL before. Lost $900. So now, if I'm not totally sure about the seller, I'll ask for a driver's license picture along with a signature on a written receipt.

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Free mobile app
9th June 2014, 04:38 PM   |  #14  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,273

7,490 posts
Its unfortunate the OP got scammed. But just my opinion, the risks of buying something like a smartphone from Craigslist outweigh the benefits. Not just risk of a blacklist, but damage to the item, or just a hardware failure that is no fault of the seller. I prefer to buy from a source with a reliable means of return and refund/exchange, even if its cost a bit more. And if its more than a "bit" of a difference, as they say: if a deal seems too good to be true, its because it is.

MOD EDIT
Last edited by IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo; 9th June 2014 at 06:51 PM.
9th June 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 19

90 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Its unfortunate the OP got scammed. But just my opinion, the risks of buying something like a smartphone from Craigslist outweigh the benefits. Not just risk of a blacklist, but damage to the item, or just a hardware failure that is no fault of the seller. I prefer to buy from a source with a reliable means of return and refund/exchange, even if its cost a bit more. And if its more than a "bit" of a difference, as they say: if a deal seems too good to be true, its because it is.

Yeah, I stick with ebay/paypal for buying used phones for that very reason...if something is wrong I have a means by which to get my money back. And even there you still have to exercise some due diligence.
9th June 2014, 06:43 PM   |  #16  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
USA - Verizon
Thanks Meter: 14,686

8,554 posts
Donate to Me
Thread Closed.

While there is nothing wrong with asking for a legal and legitimate means to getting a phone to work again who's IMEI has been blacklisted, it opens up discussion for alternate illegal means to getting the device to work.

My suggestion to you is to contact the Service Provided that has blacklisted the device's IMEI and notify them that you'd purchased it on-line, and try to convince them to allow you to use it on their network under your currently paying service.

The chances that they will do this for you however are very slim.
Best of luck,

Neo
Forum Moderator
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread