Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 48,862 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire HD Tate and TWRP

Tip us?
 
erForman
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Krugerville
Default [Q] Kindle Fire HD Tate and TWRP

I successfully went through Hashcode's instructions for installing the second bootloader, rooting, and installing TWRP, and one of the Cyanogen nightly builds. All was working fine until I decided to try and go back to Kindle mode by restoring the original boot system and recovery images. The Kindle still seemed to work fine with the Kindle apps and I could use my Prime account. Now I am trying to switch back to Cyanogen. My problem is with TWRP. It does not see the sdcard files correctly. I have added some folders and zip files to the root of the sdcard but TWRP does not "see" the new files. It is like it has an image of the very original directory structure. How do I get TWRP to see the new files ????
 
stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 7th June 2014 at 08:03 PM.)
#2  
stunts513's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 605
Posts: 2,204
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Braunfels, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
If it isn't seeing the files you added to the sdcard you could always attempt a "adb sideload", personally i don't use this feature because I prefer pushing the rom and selecting it, but in your case it may be very useful. Oh that reminds me, the amazon os had a different symlink for sdcard I fi remember correctly. Look in the sdcard folder for a folder named 0, if you don't see it still look for it in /data/media/0, and if I have this backwards then it might actually be in the media folder rather than the 0 folder. Think the folder used to be called emulated... This is confusing me a bit, hadn't really looked at cm 11's sdcard paths.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
 
erForman
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Krugerville
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
If it isn't seeing the files you added to the sdcard you could always attempt a "adb sideload", personally i don't use this feature because I prefer pushing the rom and selecting it, but in your case it may be very useful. Oh that reminds me, the amazon os had a different symlink for sdcard I fi remember correctly. Look in the sdcard folder for a folder named 0, if you don't see it still look for it in /data/media/0, and if I have this backwards then it might actually be in the media folder rather than the 0 folder. Think the folder used to be called emulated... This is confusing me a bit, hadn't really looked at cm 11's sdcard paths.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
Yes, I found the 0 folder and that is what TWRP is reading/displaying. So now, how do I get TWRP to read/mount the sdcard and not the folder named 0 ???????????/
 
stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 7th June 2014 at 08:41 PM.)
#4  
stunts513's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 605
Posts: 2,204
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Braunfels, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Just try browsing into /data/media, I would think that's where then old stuff would be, it is kinda the equivalent of what amazon os used i think. I would tell you for sure but I did internal storage wipe not too long ago so in don't have any files left over from amazon os anymore. There's one way you can check I think, boot into amazon os and run this from your PC
Code:
adb shell "ls -n /sdcard"
the part on the very right should should tell where it symlinks to, only problem is I believe it symlinks to another symlink, so whatever it outputs you might want ton run that command non again but with then new oath ton track it to it's original directory. Some of then sum links made created at startup so that's why in suggest doing this because there's no guarantee that the symlinks are in the same location in twrp. Sorry if this is a bit confusing, it makes more sense with a basic understanding of how linux works. I thinkmi traced cm 11's back to /mnt/shell/emulated, but I am sure that's a init.rc symlink... Annoying... Pretty sure that folder is the exact same as /data/media on mine. I'll see if I can help you out if you still can't find it.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
 
erForman
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Krugerville
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
Just try browsing into /data/media, I would think that's where then old stuff would be, it is kinda the equivalent of what amazon os used i think. I would tell you for sure but I did internal storage wipe not too long ago so in don't have any files left over from amazon os anymore. There's one way you can check I think, boot into amazon os and run this from your PC
Code:
adb shell "ls -n /sdcard"
the part on the very right should should tell where it symlinks to, only problem is I believe it symlinks to another symlink, so whatever it outputs you might want ton run that command non again but with then new oath ton track it to it's original directory. Some of then sum links made created at startup so that's why in suggest doing this because there's no guarantee that the symlinks are in the same location in twrp. Sorry if this is a bit confusing, it makes more sense with a basic understanding of how linux works. I thinkmi traced cm 11's back to /mnt/shell/emulated, but I am sure that's a init.rc symlink... Annoying... Pretty sure that folder is the exact same as /data/media on mine. I'll see if I can help you out if you still can't find it.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
As I mentioned before, I found the "0" folder. It has the sdcard files and folders that TWRP is now reading. It is not the real root of the sdcard!
Should I just delete the "0" folder ????
 
Ph0enix_216
Old
#6  
Ph0enix_216's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 88
Posts: 396
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: /system/xbin/su
Quote:
Originally Posted by erForman View Post
As I mentioned before, I found the "0" folder. It has the sdcard files and folders that TWRP is now reading. It is not the real root of the sdcard!
Should I just delete the "0" folder ????
I wouldn't reccomend deleting it (but that's just me). Amazon's OS for the KFHD is based on Android 4.0.3. CyanogenMod is based on 4.2.2 - 4.4 (depending on which version of CM you download), which includes a user profile feature that saves each user's data to a different numbered folder (the default user being numbered "0" ).

At least, I think this is how it works...?

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11


Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Stock
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM Advanced Edition
 
stunts513
Old
#7  
stunts513's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 605
Posts: 2,204
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Braunfels, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
Yea it should be the folder one level up from the 0 folder that has the amazon os sdcard directory I think.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
 
erForman
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Krugerville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix_216 View Post
I wouldn't reccomend deleting it (but that's just me). Amazon's OS for the KFHD is based on Android 4.0.3. CyanogenMod is based on 4.2.2 - 4.4 (depending on which version of CM you download), which includes a user profile feature that saves each user's data to a different numbered folder (the default user being numbered "0" ).

At least, I think this is how it works...?

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11
Got it sorted out now, I have to use the "0" folder for anything I want to use in TWRP. I am able to safely switch back and forth between Kindle mode and Cyanogen for pure Android. Now ready to experiment with other Rom's. Does anybody have a favorite running on the Kindle Fire HD seven inch?
 
Ph0enix_216
Old
#9  
Ph0enix_216's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 88
Posts: 396
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: /system/xbin/su
Quote:
Originally Posted by erForman View Post
Got it sorted out now, I have to use the "0" folder for anything I want to use in TWRP. I am able to safely switch back and forth between Kindle mode and Cyanogen for pure Android. Now ready to experiment with other Rom's. Does anybody have a favorite running on the Kindle Fire HD seven inch?
I'm using CyanogenMod 11. I like it because its just basic CM without any extra features, and runs smooth.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<


Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Stock
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM Advanced Edition
 
erForman
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Krugerville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix_216 View Post
I'm using CyanogenMod 11. I like it because its just basic CM without any extra features, and runs smooth.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<
I flashed a nightly CyanogenMod (20140528) with Android 4.4.2. It is running just fine on my Kindle Fire HD 7 inch. Very nice mod with a ton of options.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes