Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Which part of the software depends on rooting?

OP darthnix

9th June 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Newtown, Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
Donate to Me
More
So I just got my HTC One M8 last week (my carrier is Verizon). After seeing how terrible HTC Sense is, I decided I want to root and then flash CM. I rooted my last phone, the Samsung Galaxy S3, but this seems a little bit harder. I've looked at a few guides, but I'm afraid that there is a certain piece of software that depends if the root will work or not. On my S3 I just had to see what Android version I was using, but this phone has a few different types of software. Which one do I pay attention to? Android version, HTC sense version, software number, PRI, PRL, ERI... Also, when I rooted my S3 and then wanted to flash a rom onto it, I had to reset the flash counter because I was on Verizon. Does it work that way with this phone too?
9th June 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 216

594 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnix

So I just got my HTC One M8 last week (my carrier is Verizon). After seeing how terrible HTC Sense is, I decided I want to root and then flash CM. I rooted my last phone, the Samsung Galaxy S3, but this seems a little bit harder. I've looked at a few guides, but I'm afraid that there is a certain piece of software that depends if the root will work or not. On my S3 I just had to see what Android version I was using, but this phone has a few different types of software. Which one do I pay attention to? Android version, HTC sense version, software number, PRI, PRL, ERI... Also, when I rooted my S3 and then wanted to flash a rom onto it, I had to reset the flash counter because I was on Verizon. Does it work that way with this phone too?

There is only one way to root verizon htc m8 because verizon doesn't allow htc boot loader unlocking. You have to visit the firewater site and gain temp root, then soff, etc.. You should check the verizon forums. I will go ahead and tell you that ALL aosp roms including cm are very buggy right now and not daily drivers. Sound buggy, wifi messed up, calls make beeping etc.. Maybe try a better sense rom that supports verizon. Here are the verizon forums
http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-htc-one-m8
Last edited by an0ther; 9th June 2014 at 09:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread