Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,289 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocked AT&T S5

Tip us?

kevinco1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default Unlocked AT&T S5

Hey everyone, I am about to pay full retail price for the S5 through AT&T which means it will be unlocked.

Question is...any root method or exploits that work for the international version also apply to the AT&T model?
AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337
[AOSP] S4 Google Edition
Safestrap 3.72

zacharyt86
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Nope, paying full price for an "Unlocked AT&T" model, means it's carrier unlocked, bootloader is still locked down on all AT&T branded S5's. If your paying full price and want root, you should just buy an unlocked T-Mobile version from somewhere like swappa.com, supports AT&T frequencies and the bootloader comes unlocked.

dibeachdude
Old
Thanks Meter 63
It would be nice if XDA had a "Glossary of Terms" in the wiki that explained terms that are used often like"bootloader unlocked" and "carrier unlocked". Maybe, it wouldn't make much difference, but the some words and terms are often confused and are explained again. It might be easier to just link to the glossary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A)
Stock everything . . . for now.

Has anybody noticed this? If you open the little USB cap and hold it really close to your ear, you can hear a tiny voice scream, "Unlock me!"

zoso28
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Keep in mind the phones aren't usually unlocked (carrier unlocked) at the point of sale and you'll have to submit an unlock request once you've bought it.. As a side note, I highly recommend buying the T-Mobile version, as it's compatible with at&t and DOES have the bootloader unlocked by default. There's really no reason to buy the at&t version if you're buying at full price.
CURRENT: Galaxy S5 [Towelrooted Safestrapped Xposed]; T-Mo Galaxy Note 3 on Int'l xposed; At&t Galaxy Note 3 [Xposed]

RETIRED: Galaxy Note 2 [Int'l Xposed ROM]; Galaxy S IV; Galaxy S III [Task650 JB]; LG Optimus G Pro; Galaxy Note I717; BB Bold 9900 [Hybrid 7.1] iPhone 4s [jailbroken]; Galaxy S II [AOKP]; Moto Atrix 4G [CM7 Ba2tF @ 1.3GHz]; iPhone 4S; Captivate [Serendipity]; iPhone 4; BB 9800; HTC HD2 [CM7/WP7/ICS]; BB 9000 [Hybrid]; iPhone 3GS [Jailbroken]; HTC TyTN

eortizr
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinco1 View Post
Hey everyone, I am about to pay full retail price for the S5 through AT&T which means it will be unlocked.

Question is...any root method or exploits that work for the international version also apply to the AT&T model?
If you are going to pay full price, just go to T-Mobile store and by the T-Mo version which comes with an unlocked bootloader and supports all AT&T frequencies, then just replace your back cover for an unbranded or at&T branded one.

the AT&T one will not get Root anytime soon.
Please hit 'Thanks' if I helped you.