Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Verizon GS4 Developer Edition can no longer install custom recoveries

OP jontjioe

richii0207
24th January 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Why invest manpower and equal amounts of money to that of the retail edition for updating a phone in which virtually nobody has. Why would a dev phone need to be updated? It's basically a DD phone. I don't think many people have taken much thought into it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
10th June 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 14

260 posts
More
Same problem with S5 DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontjioe

All,

I have the Verizon Galaxy S4 Developer Edition. I purchased this one b/c it had an unlocked bootloader and I like to install custom recoveries so I can install custom ROMs. Originally, it came with the MDK firmware on it and I was able to root it and install a custom recovery.

I applied the OTA MJ7 update. While I am able to root the device, I have not been able to install a custom recovery. After doing a ton of reading and soft bricking, everyone says that the latest firmware locks down the bootloader so that you cannot install custom recoveries.

Here lies my confusion...I bought the Developer Edition so my bootloader would never be locked and I could always install custom recoveries. Is there something I'm missing? Is it possible for me having a Developer Edition phone to install a custom recovery even though I'm on build I545VRUEMJ7?

In talking with Samsung support, they said that the bootloader will NEVER be locked with any updates on the Developer edition. Any information or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hello Jonathan. I have the same issue as you do but with the new S5 DE. I recently accidentally locked the bootloader on it using JODIN for Mac. I talked to samsung and they told me they will flash the right firmware and restore the phone for free despite it being custom. What did you end up doing for your issue how was it solved? Also IMEI numbers are a problem in their system with Dev editions i was told and mine comes up as out of warranty. Thanks!

By the way I'll be writing up a tutorial for those who have Mac they can use ODIN windows on Virtual Box I figured it out. This may or may not apply to you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53284626
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread