Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,242 Members 50,808 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon GS4 Developer Edition can no longer install custom recoveries

Tip us?

richii0207
Old
Thanks Meter 440
Why invest manpower and equal amounts of money to that of the retail edition for updating a phone in which virtually nobody has. Why would a dev phone need to be updated? It's basically a DD phone. I don't think many people have taken much thought into it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Droid9684
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default Same problem with S5 DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontjioe View Post
All,

I have the Verizon Galaxy S4 Developer Edition. I purchased this one b/c it had an unlocked bootloader and I like to install custom recoveries so I can install custom ROMs. Originally, it came with the MDK firmware on it and I was able to root it and install a custom recovery.

I applied the OTA MJ7 update. While I am able to root the device, I have not been able to install a custom recovery. After doing a ton of reading and soft bricking, everyone says that the latest firmware locks down the bootloader so that you cannot install custom recoveries.

Here lies my confusion...I bought the Developer Edition so my bootloader would never be locked and I could always install custom recoveries. Is there something I'm missing? Is it possible for me having a Developer Edition phone to install a custom recovery even though I'm on build I545VRUEMJ7?

In talking with Samsung support, they said that the bootloader will NEVER be locked with any updates on the Developer edition. Any information or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hello Jonathan. I have the same issue as you do but with the new S5 DE. I recently accidentally locked the bootloader on it using JODIN for Mac. I talked to samsung and they told me they will flash the right firmware and restore the phone for free despite it being custom. What did you end up doing for your issue how was it solved? Also IMEI numbers are a problem in their system with Dev editions i was told and mine comes up as out of warranty. Thanks!

By the way I'll be writing up a tutorial for those who have Mac they can use ODIN windows on Virtual Box I figured it out. This may or may not apply to you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53284626