Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,943 Members 51,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S-Off

Tip us?

ILowry282
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default S-Off

I am a new M8 user. I unlocked my boot loader, installed custom recovery and rooted the device. However, I can't achieve S-Off. It says that HTC has patched my device. I don't remember taking an OTA, however it may have done that when I first booted it out of the box. I then tried to install Xposed, however that did not work either. I found a method showing how to flash a file to make Xposed work on an S-On device, but that did not work either. I have two questions:
1) Is there any way currently for me to achieve S-Off
2) If I can't achieve S-Off, what good does rooting my device actually do since I can't seem to install anything?

Thanks.

blackice666
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILowry282 View Post
I am a new M8 user. I unlocked my boot loader, installed custom recovery and rooted the device. However, I can't achieve S-Off. It says that HTC has patched my device. I don't remember taking an OTA, however it may have done that when I first booted it out of the box. I then tried to install Xposed, however that did not work either. I found a method showing how to flash a file to make Xposed work on an S-On device, but that did not work either. I have two questions:
1) Is there any way currently for me to achieve S-Off
2) If I can't achieve S-Off, what good does rooting my device actually do since I can't seem to install anything?

Thanks.

Since you didnt get any OTA, it means that the device you got was already updated with the last software by HTC.

1. Currently there is no way for getting S-OFF, dhe there is a bounty thread for a fix. (Check my signature)

2. S-OFF is needed only for special purposes like changing ur CID, removing the tampered banner. SIM Unlock etc.

You dont need S-OFF to flash custom ROMs etc.

RossMacgill
Old
Thanks Meter 21

DONATE TO ME
Like above says, but i will add, double check you have root, and then look at the correct way to install xposed. you dont need s off to obtain root or install xposed and or roms.
HTC One (M8) Stock, S-Off, Rooted / Nexus 4 -Rooted Stock
Previous Devices, HTC One X, HTC DesireHD, and a long list..........

gokun
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I can confirm that xposed installs and runs fine with an s-on device. My friend has one and is running xposed with sense6 toolbox.
As a last resort if you simply can't get it installed, you could install a rom that already has it built in. There are several in the forums that have it.

ILowry282
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
So I don't need S-Off to install Viper One ROM?

samsamuel
Old
Thanks Meter 1047
no.
ViperOneM8 VIPER4Android

O2 UK automated free sim unlock form.

Want to say thanks? Do you buy stuff on eBay? Click HERE to donate to me FOR FREE

ILowry282
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Can anyone tell me if viper rom allows individual notification tones in the stock messaging app?