Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What part of the software depends on rooting?

Tip us?

darthnix
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] What part of the software depends on rooting?

So I just got my HTC One M8 last week. After seeing how terrible HTC Sense is, I decided I want to root and then flash CM. I rooted my last phone, the Samsung Galaxy S3, but this seems a little bit harder. I've looked at a few guides, but I'm afraid that there is a certain piece of software that depends if the root will work or not. On my S3 I just had to see what Android version I was using, but this phone has a few different types of software. Which one do I pay attention to? Android version, HTC sense version, software number, PRI, PRL, ERI... Also, when I rooted my S3 and then wanted to flash a rom onto it, I had to reset the flash counter because I was on Verizon. Does it work that way with this phone too? Anyway, what part of the software listed depends on if I can root the phone or not? Is it just Android version, like usual, or are the two pieces I need. And if so, can someone link a guide that works with my current software? I'd really appreciate it.

cntryby429
Old
Thanks Meter 33
My understanding is that the Verizon m8 has only had one update. The root exploit (weak sauce) and S-off exploit (Firewater) each work on either firmware versions. Rooting via weak sauce may be enough for you depending on your need to customize your phone.

dunn816
Old
Thanks Meter 11
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708628 follow this thread completely.. depending on what you wanna do with your phone you can s-off and unlock the boot loader to flash a custom recovery and roms. Or just weaksauce root to get temporary root. Which is just a simple apk download you install.

HTC ONE M8👍

DEVICE__ HTC ONE M8
ANDROID__ 4.4.2
VIPERONE ROM