How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Switched to Straight Talk. I have 2 issues (slow speed and error message)

OP Travisholt92

31st May 2014, 06:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

74 posts
So as the Thread Title says, I have switched my Verizon Galaxy S5 over to Straight Talk, however i have 2 issues.
Issue #1 My HSPA+ data speeds are verrrrrry slow at times, currently averaging between 2.5MB/s and 4.1 MB/s Download speeds with between 0.8 and 0.95 upload speeds.
It has gotten as low as 0.12MB/s Down and .02 MB/s Up on HSPA+ I was wondering if this could possibly be an APN issue? Also it tends to switch between HSPA and HSPA+ alot but only seems to switch to HSPA when im not using data.

Issue #2 My phone shows an error This SIM card is from an unknown source. Is there any way to get rid of this without root (which we obviously don't have)??

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.
Last edited by Travisholt92; 31st May 2014 at 06:52 AM.
1st June 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #2  
Flag Lansing MI
Thanks Meter: 206

574 posts
More
Verizon phones are CDMA not GSM. Probably why you are limited to ultra slow speed for data, and also probably why you are getting an 'unknown sim' error being that the phone is verizon, and you put in a Straight Talk Sim.
1st June 2014, 06:28 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

74 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprice8

Verizon phones are CDMA not GSM. Probably why you are limited to ultra slow speed for data, and also probably why you are getting an 'unknown sim' error being that the phone is verizon, and you put in a Straight Talk Sim.

Obviously you're unaware that the Galaxy S5 supports CDMA at LTE speeds AND GSM at HSPA+ speeds. The Verizon Galaxy S5 is a "world" phone and does not require any sort of SIM unlocking in order to be used on other carriers. (as i can show you with a simple screenshot). However i think my decrease in speeds is caused by a bad tower on the opposite side of town from where I actually live. While at home (with only 2 or 3 bars of service) i am able to get fairly decent speeds without issue. As far as the point of this thread goes i was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks for better stability of the HSPA/HSPA+ network on the Verizon Galaxy S5 and to see if anybody was able to remove the SIM error without rooting. With rooting i know it can be achieved as i have already researched how to do so. I know why the SIM error is there, I'm not that oblivious. But thank you very much for your comment.
2nd June 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #4  

17 posts
Your issue is very simple. You obviously didnt do your research before switching to straight talk. With straight talk you can have any carrier, you just have to have the right sim for that carrier. You probably got the t-mobile sim because thats the one they give if you dont ask. I have the at&t sim and it works perfect on my at&t phone. The only 2 sim cards you can get are at&t and t-mobile. You can use verizon and sprint with straight talk also. All you have to do is go to their website and it will tell you what to do. You have to look for the cdma section for activating a new phone if you want verizon. If you ported your number you can still keep it once you switch carrier options as long as you choose that at checkout. I just did all of this a couple of months ago and have done it several times in the past so I know what im talking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
2nd June 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #5  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 309

1,217 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1821

Your issue is very simple. You obviously didnt do your research before switching to straight talk. With straight talk you can have any carrier, you just have to have the right sim for that carrier. You probably got the t-mobile sim because thats the one they give if you dont ask. I have the at&t sim and it works perfect on my at&t phone. The only 2 sim cards you can get are at&t and t-mobile. You can use verizon and sprint with straight talk also. All you have to do is go to their website and it will tell you what to do. You have to look for the cdma section for activating a new phone if you want verizon. If you ported your number you can still keep it once you switch carrier options as long as you choose that at checkout. I just did all of this a couple of months ago and have done it several times in the past so I know what im talking about.

Not sure if you're aware that Straight Talk only supports T-Mobile. They used to support AT&T as well, but they switched to T-Mo. However existing customers that signed up when Straight Talk AT&T was around still get to use AT&T towers for now. There are some loopholes but 99.9% of people get T-Mobile when they sign up for Straight Talk as of today.

Straight Talk never used Verizon or Sprint.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisholt92

So as the Thread Title says, I have switched my Verizon Galaxy S5 over to Straight Talk, however i have 2 issues.
Issue #1 My HSPA+ data speeds are verrrrrry slow at times, currently averaging between 2.5MB/s and 4.1 MB/s Download speeds with between 0.8 and 0.95 upload speeds.
It has gotten as low as 0.12MB/s Down and .02 MB/s Up on HSPA+ I was wondering if this could possibly be an APN issue? Also it tends to switch between HSPA and HSPA+ alot but only seems to switch to HSPA when im not using data.

Issue #2 My phone shows an error This SIM card is from an unknown source. Is there any way to get rid of this without root (which we obviously don't have)??

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Sounds like your issue is 100% APN.

Here are the APN settings for both Straight Talk and T-Mobile. Try the ST one first and then T-Mobile if that doesn't work. Don't know what to tell you after that, maybe try a new sim card.

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/support/apn
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090#android
Last edited by Syn Ack; 2nd June 2014 at 04:27 PM.
2nd June 2014, 05:52 PM   |  #6  

17 posts
I hate when people give out the wrong information. This is not the case and hasn't been the case for awhile. Do your research 1st. Go to straighttalk website and click on byop under shop. Now go to the very bottom where it says see all coverage and it shows the coverage maps of all 4 major providers. Now if you go with that same byop shop page and click on shop at the top, it will bring up a page where you can either buy a t-mobile or at&t sim, and on the right hand side you can also buy a cdma access code. This is not rocket science. Also, apns for every sim card for gsm and cdma access are different. I am not gonna list the apns because reply would be too long but its not hard to find. There are also numerous youtube videos covering this as well as multiple google results. I literally just bought an at&t sim when I upgraded to the gs5 because i had an t-mobile gs3 with the same straight talk service and didn't care for t-mobile. It is true that if you buy a straight talk phone from wal-mart then yes it will probably be a t-mobile phone but to say you can't bring your own phone and use whatever carrier is not an intelligent thing to say when you clearly can.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn Ack

Not sure if you're aware that Straight Talk only supports T-Mobile. They used to support AT&T as well, but they switched to T-Mo. However existing customers that signed up when Straight Talk AT&T was around still get to use AT&T towers for now. There are some loopholes but 99.9% of people get T-Mobile when they sign up for Straight Talk as of today.

Last edited by miller1821; 2nd June 2014 at 07:14 PM.
2nd June 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #7  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 309

1,217 posts
More
Quote:

I hate when people give out the wrong information. This is not the case and hasn't been the case for awhile. Do your research 1st. Go to straighttalk website and click on byop under shop. Now go to the very bottom where it says see all coverage and it shows the coverage maps of all 4 major providers. Now if you go with that same byop shop page and click on shop at the top, it will bring up a page where you can either buy a t-mobile or at&t sim, and on the right hand side you can also buy a cdma access code. This is not rocket science. Also, apns for every sim card for gsm and cdma access are different. I am not gonna list the apns because reply would be too long but its not hard to find. There are also numerous youtube videos covering this as well as multiple google results. I literally just bought an at&t sim when I upgraded to the gs5 because i had an t-mobile gs3 with the same straight talk service and didn't care for t-mobile. It is true that if you buy a straight talk phone from wal-mart then yes it will probably be a t-mobile phone but to say you can't bring your own phone and use whatever carrier is not an intelligent thing to say when you clearly can.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

No need to get in a bunch. I wasn't aware that they started using AT&T and others again. Last year when I was network searching, STalk just stopped signing up new customers with the AT&T plans and their data limit was 2.5gb and not 3 like now. Sorry.
10th June 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

74 posts
Quote:

Nah I'm using the at&t sim. T mobile has garbage coverage out here. I bought the byop package from Wal-Mart that contains both SIM cards.

As for the people saying I should have done my research first, your input is irrelevant to me considering I'm not like every other person in this section of the forums. I know what I'm doing when it comes to this kind of things and of course I did my research ahead of time. So if you're going to come into my thread just to insult my intelligence, you can stop talking because chances are I probably know more about this subject than you do without having to have my face in a web browser.

As for the guy posting about apn, thank you very much for your input. I'll take a look to see if what you had linked is any didn't from what I currently have in my phone. However right now it won't make a difference because I'm being throttled down to .05 mb/s download and .08 mb/s upload.
Last edited by Travisholt92; 10th June 2014 at 03:19 AM.
10th June 2014, 04:28 AM   |  #9  
Flag Lansing MI
Thanks Meter: 206

574 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisholt92

Nah I'm using the at&t sim. T mobile has garbage coverage out here. I bought the byop package from Wal-Mart that contains both SIM cards.

As for the people saying I should have done my research first, your input is irrelevant to me considering I'm not like every other person in this section of the forums. I know what I'm doing when it comes to this kind of things and of course I did my research ahead of time. So if you're going to come into my thread just to insult my intelligence, you can stop talking because chances are I probably know more about this subject than you do without having to have my face in a web browser.

As for the guy posting about apn, thank you very much for your input. I'll take a look to see if what you had linked is any didn't from what I currently have in my phone. However right now it won't make a difference because I'm being throttled down to .05 mb/s download and .08 mb/s upload.

I am not knocking on your intelligence here or anything, but you could have left that middle section out so you looked less like a turd for being rude to people just because they were rude to you. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread