Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,097 Members 44,177 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upadating Question

Tip us?

MstrBubbles
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Upadating Question

Hello XDA Developers! How are you doing?

I just got a Notification that, an update is available for my N7 2013. I guess it is the 4.4.3 one.

So, I rooted it with the Nexus Toolkit when I got the Tablet and have since then gotten around playing with Xposed (GravityBox[KK], Youtube AdAway, Instagram Downloader and AppOpsXposed).
My Questions now are the following:
  • Should I just OTA Update or should I take my Nexus Toolkit and use that?
  • Do I have to uninstall all the Xposed stuff? (everything on the latest stable version offered to me)
  • Is it necessary to Root again or is the Kernel still rooted afterwards?
  • Any resets necessary? Just a cache one?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best Regards

MstrBubbles
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100; FW: CM11
Tablet: Google Nexus 7v2; FW: Stock Android 4.4.4

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrBubbles View Post
Hello XDA Developers! How are you doing?

I just got a Notification that, an update is available for my N7 2013. I guess it is the 4.4.3 one.

So, I rooted it with the Nexus Toolkit when I got the Tablet and have since then gotten around playing with Xposed (GravityBox[KK], Youtube AdAway, Instagram Downloader and AppOpsXposed).
My Questions now are the following:
  • Should I just OTA Update or should I take my Nexus Toolkit and use that?
  • Do I have to uninstall all the Xposed stuff? (everything on the latest stable version offered to me)
  • Is it necessary to Root again or is the Kernel still rooted afterwards?
  • Any resets necessary? Just a cache one?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best Regards

MstrBubbles
Give this thread a read: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523217. It's simple to understand and super informative when it comes to updating OTAs. I know it's in the Nexus 5 forums, but the same principals apply.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MstrBubbles
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39 View Post
Give this thread a read: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523217. It's simple to understand and super informative when it comes to updating OTAs. I know it's in the Nexus 5 forums, but the same principals apply.

Thanks allot! Read through but still got some questions:

If I want to OTA I have to go completely Stock I understand this now but, if I use the Nexus Toolkit, do I still need to Uninstall everything Xposed related and go back to stock first? Or just uninstall everything Xposed and continue with the Toolkits FW Flashing and afterwards re-rooting?
OR just use the Toolkit and everything is good to go?

Thanks again!

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrBubbles View Post
Thanks allot! Read through but still got some questions:

If I want to OTA I have to go completely Stock I understand this now but, if I use the Nexus Toolkit, do I still need to Uninstall everything Xposed related and go back to stock first? Or just uninstall everything Xposed and continue with the Toolkits FW Flashing and afterwards re-rooting?
OR just use the Toolkit and everything is good to go?

Thanks again!
Not exactly sure how the toolkit works to update. I don't use them since I'm not a fan of toolkits. If it just boots you into custom recovery and flashes the OTA, then you need to be stock (with Xposed Framework uninstalled). If it boots you into the bootloader and fastboot flashes the individual image files, you don't need to uninstall, but you will need to reinstall/activate the framework after booting into 4.4.3. You'll also need to re-root, unless the toolkit does that for you too after updating.

The Following User Says Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MstrBubbles
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39 View Post
Not exactly sure how the toolkit works to update. I don't use them since I'm not a fan of toolkits. If it just boots you into custom recovery and flashes the OTA, then you need to be stock (with Xposed Framework uninstalled). If it boots you into the bootloader and fastboot flashes the individual image files, you don't need to uninstall, but you will need to reinstall/activate the framework after booting into 4.4.3. You'll also need to re-root, unless the toolkit does that for you too after updating.

Alright thanks again!

It has been quite some time since I last used it so I googled it again and found this http://nexus5.wonderhowto.com/how-to...-data-0155334/

In the end there is this

Quote:
You should now be up to date, with root and custom recovery restored and all of your data intact. If you use Xposed, you'll have to install the framework again for your modules to become active.
So I guess I am okay with it!

Thank you very much for your help!