Z2 owners: Need some advice, please.

OP donalgodon

10th June 2014, 01:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 664

3,796 posts
More
Hi Guys,
Iím about 99% sure that Iím moving to the Z2 after much study, but I have some questions that I hope you can clarify for me.

My only frame of reference for devices, rooting, flashing, are Samdung, via Odin and LG via some very crappy tools, and a few other devices with very minimal use of fastboot and adb, etc.

Here are my questions, and Iím trying my best to be concise:

1. How robust is the main flashtool used to flash stock ROMs?
2. Can this tool also flash custom ROMs? I think I read that it can, but I want to confirm.
3. Are Stock Firmware files available somewhere reliable/secure, like they are for Samdung devices?
4. Is there an Xposed module that will allow me to automatically close the quick toggles panel (like wifi, etc.) after I select them? I use this feature dozens of times a day, and I find it extremely useful. Itís part of Wanam Exposed.
5. D6503 can accept any firmware in the model line, correct? Iíd like to download the latest stock ROM and flash to it as soon as I get it.
6. How good are the noise cancelling headphones at isolating the ďblah, blah, blahĒ noise from a crowd? I spend a lot of time on a campus filled with people talking, shouting, etc. and Iíd like to isolate some of that noise during my break time between classes. Students and other professors are often annoyingly loud.
7. Does the Xposed module for 20.7 MP Auto mode degrade picture quality over the standard 8MP? I assume it must, otherwise, why would Sony not enable it?
8. Can I use my PS4 controller to control Android games on the Z2? I read somewhere that it was possible, but not sure.

Thanks for any input.
10th June 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 227

592 posts
1. flashtool is pretty solid. It's at least as good as Odin IMO.
2. yes
3. yes, these are known as FTF files
4. Not sure but lookup gravity box, it has a lot of options just like wanam for TW
5. Always flash D6503 firmware. Rom's can be flashed but the radio for the D6503 and D6502 are different
6. not sure
7. I would say the 8MP Superior auto is something Sony did to keep detail but produce more manageable filesizes. They downsample so it's still much sharper than a native 8MP smartphone pic. The 20MP setting is just not downsampled.
8.not sure, pretty sure you can.

The dev tools are different. As of right now, if you get a D6503 with an unlockable bootloader, you can root, throw on a rom, custom kernel, and have either CWM or TWRP recovery. Really happy with the Z2 so far, and as you can tell I'm pretty familiar with TW.
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2014, 04:16 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 664

3,796 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1000

1. flashtool is pretty solid. It's at least as good as Odin IMO.
2. yes
3. yes, these are known as FTF files
4. Not sure but lookup gravity box, it has a lot of options just like wanam for TW
5. Always flash D6503 firmware. Rom's can be flashed but the radio for the D6503 and D6502 are different
6. not sure
7. I would say the 8MP Superior auto is something Sony did to keep detail but produce more manageable filesizes. They downsample so it's still much sharper than a native 8MP smartphone pic. The 20MP setting is just not downsampled.
8.not sure, pretty sure you can.

The dev tools are different. As of right now, if you get a D6503 with an unlockable bootloader, you can root, throw on a rom, custom kernel, and have either CWM or TWRP recovery. Really happy with the Z2 so far, and as you can tell I'm pretty familiar with TW.

Thanks a lot. these responses help.

Are most of the unlocked non-carrier devices shipping with unlockable bootloaders? Is there any way to know without using the dialer code to check?
Last edited by donalgodon; 10th June 2014 at 04:18 AM.
10th June 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 227

592 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon

Thanks a lot. these responses help.

Are most of the unlocked non-carrier devices shipping with unlockable bootloaders? Is there any way to know without using the dialer code to check?

yeah I would say if you get an unbranded phone it'll have a unlockable bootloader.
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread