Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,567 Members 42,546 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S4/Android Data Migration

Tip us?

NetworkingPro
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default S4/Android Data Migration

Hey everyone,

My wife just got a new S4 as a replacement for her old one. The S4 is Verizon, running the newest OTA. I have used ADB to backup all of her pics, etc., but and looking for a way to move data formally between them. Specifically, Im looking for text messages, and app data if possible. Since the phones aren't rooted I have a gut feeling Im hosed, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,544

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkingPro View Post
Hey everyone,

My wife just got a new S4 as a replacement for her old one. The S4 is Verizon, running the newest OTA. I have used ADB to backup all of her pics, etc., but and looking for a way to move data formally between them. Specifically, Im looking for text messages, and app data if possible. Since the phones aren't rooted I have a gut feeling Im hosed, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
There's a "SMS Backup and restore" app in the play store that can get your text messages.
For application data, you'll need to be rooted and use something like Titanium Backup.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

rslu2
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I believe Kies let's you do that. You can also create an sms backup within the app can't you?
Sent from my Next10P12 using XDA Free mobile app

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 360

DONATE TO ME
I would use helium, it backs up your app data without root. You just got to hook your phone up to your computer with the helium app on your PC. Then you can back up stuff to you phones internal storage or micro sdcard. Or to the cloud if you get helium premium

Sent from my OtterX running SlimKat
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

NetworkingPro
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually learned that the Android Debugging Bridge has it natively built in. You can actually backup all of your apps, and app data without root. This was pretty cool to learn. I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else had the same question. The original thread is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-root-t1420351
The Following User Says Thank You to NetworkingPro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]