OP NetworkingPro

3rd June 2014, 06:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Central US
Thanks Meter: 89

143 posts
More
Hey everyone,

My wife just got a new S4 as a replacement for her old one. The S4 is Verizon, running the newest OTA. I have used ADB to backup all of her pics, etc., but and looking for a way to move data formally between them. Specifically, Im looking for text messages, and app data if possible. Since the phones aren't rooted I have a gut feeling Im hosed, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
7th June 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,569

1,924 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkingPro

Hey everyone,

My wife just got a new S4 as a replacement for her old one. The S4 is Verizon, running the newest OTA. I have used ADB to backup all of her pics, etc., but and looking for a way to move data formally between them. Specifically, Im looking for text messages, and app data if possible. Since the phones aren't rooted I have a gut feeling Im hosed, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

There's a "SMS Backup and restore" app in the play store that can get your text messages.
For application data, you'll need to be rooted and use something like Titanium Backup.
7th June 2014, 10:37 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 11

49 posts
More
I believe Kies let's you do that. You can also create an sms backup within the app can't you?
Sent from my Next10P12 using XDA Free mobile app
8th June 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 458

1,265 posts
Donate to Me
More
I would use helium, it backs up your app data without root. You just got to hook your phone up to your computer with the helium app on your PC. Then you can back up stuff to you phones internal storage or micro sdcard. Or to the cloud if you get helium premium

Sent from my OtterX running SlimKat
10th June 2014, 07:21 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Central US
Thanks Meter: 89

143 posts
More
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually learned that the Android Debugging Bridge has it natively built in. You can actually backup all of your apps, and app data without root. This was pretty cool to learn. I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else had the same question. The original thread is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-root-t1420351
The Following User Says Thank You to NetworkingPro For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread