Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Simple performance gain for Xperia SP

OP emcom

6th June 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

3 posts
Hi all,

Today I have accidentially discovered something that helped my Xperia a little bit.
I started to look into its lag and performance problems after playing for a while with my wife's Motorola Moto G.
By the way, Moto G is a small miracle I'd say.

So I started to investigate for potential source of problems for Xperia. Then... I disabled the "Google search" app (yes, that one on the top of main screen). And the phone works much, much better now !

This is no problem for me as I never used this search bar. But just to confirm, maybe others could also try out if it helps them, too ? It's easily reversible.
The Following User Says Thank You to emcom For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th June 2014, 02:37 AM   |  #2  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 19

117 posts
Even i did the same thing and it does really help. My phone is as smooth as it should be. Zero lags. And i love the xperia themes

Sent from my C5302 using XDA Free mobile app
8th June 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 118

321 posts
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcom

Hi all,

Today I have accidentially discovered something that helped my Xperia a little bit.
I started to look into its lag and performance problems after playing for a while with my wife's Motorola Moto G.
By the way, Moto G is a small miracle I'd say.

So I started to investigate for potential source of problems for Xperia. Then... I disabled the "Google search" app (yes, that one on the top of main screen). And the phone works much, much better now !

This is no problem for me as I never used this search bar. But just to confirm, maybe others could also try out if it helps them, too ? It's easily reversible.

Yeah, I agree, Google search (incl. Google Now) drains a lot of battery even when unused-it runs in the background. Also the Moto G is great, my bro and dad own it, I am thinking of getting it as well.
8th June 2014, 11:47 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,329

1,195 posts
More
can you search anything in browser afterwards?
8th June 2014, 12:10 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 35

43 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by le grande magnetto

can you search anything in browser afterwards?

Of course, since it has nothing to do with this app.

I disabled google search directly after I bought the phone. It runs extremely smooth especially with 4.3.

Google Search app is just for the widget, google now and all of the background stuff it brings - which is definitely a reason for slow devices and battery drain.
Last edited by Ungewiss; 8th June 2014 at 12:13 PM.
8th June 2014, 12:14 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1,329

1,195 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungewiss

Of course, since it has nothing to do with this app.

I disabled google search directly after I bought the phone. It runs extremely smooth especially with 4.3.

Google Search app is just for the widget, google now and all of the background stuff it brings - which is definitely a reason for slow devices and battery drain.

for me it was not possible.. neither searching from web page nor from address bar. nothing happened.
8th June 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 27

142 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by le grande magnetto

for me it was not possible.. neither searching from web page nor from address bar. nothing happened.

For me the 'Google now' icon when long tap home change to search button (a magnifier instead google logo), and then open browser in google.com.... I was using dolphin browser, maybe try this?

also, I didn't notice any improvement in perfomance disabling google search.... but I have no Google Play services drain or anything....
9th June 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #8  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 51

287 posts
More
What Google applications I can uninstall (rooted phone) ?
10th June 2014, 09:06 AM   |  #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakomord

What Google applications I can uninstall (rooted phone) ?

Google Search, Gmail, Google+, almost every Google app, except if u want to download and install apps from the Play Store, it's a must to have Google Play Store and Google Play Services installed on ur phone
10th June 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #10  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 51

287 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4u

Google Search, Gmail, Google+, almost every Google app, except if u want to download and install apps from the Play Store, it's a must to have Google Play Store and Google Play Services installed on ur phone

Ok thanks !

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread