Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,947 Members 40,826 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Simple performance gain for Xperia SP

Tip us?

emcom
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thumbs up Simple performance gain for Xperia SP

Hi all,

Today I have accidentially discovered something that helped my Xperia a little bit.
I started to look into its lag and performance problems after playing for a while with my wife's Motorola Moto G.
By the way, Moto G is a small miracle I'd say.

So I started to investigate for potential source of problems for Xperia. Then... I disabled the "Google search" app (yes, that one on the top of main screen). And the phone works much, much better now !

This is no problem for me as I never used this search bar. But just to confirm, maybe others could also try out if it helps them, too ? It's easily reversible.
The Following User Says Thank You to emcom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaushal9119
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Even i did the same thing and it does really help. My phone is as smooth as it should be. Zero lags. And i love the xperia themes

Sent from my C5302 using XDA Free mobile app

ShinOrochiX
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcom View Post
Hi all,

Today I have accidentially discovered something that helped my Xperia a little bit.
I started to look into its lag and performance problems after playing for a while with my wife's Motorola Moto G.
By the way, Moto G is a small miracle I'd say.

So I started to investigate for potential source of problems for Xperia. Then... I disabled the "Google search" app (yes, that one on the top of main screen). And the phone works much, much better now !

This is no problem for me as I never used this search bar. But just to confirm, maybe others could also try out if it helps them, too ? It's easily reversible.
Yeah, I agree, Google search (incl. Google Now) drains a lot of battery even when unused-it runs in the background. Also the Moto G is great, my bro and dad own it, I am thinking of getting it as well.
Previous Devices: Xperia X10 mini pro, Xperia X8, Xperia Live with Walkman & Xperia L.
Current: Xperia SP

Model: C5303
Android: 4.3 (stock)
Build version: 12.1.A.1.205
Kernel version: 3.4.0 (stock)
Baseband version: -20

le grande magnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 1228
can you search anything in browser afterwards?

Xperia SP 5303 BLACK
Xperia LWW - sold.

Ungewiss
Old
(Last edited by Ungewiss; 8th June 2014 at 11:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by le grande magnetto View Post
can you search anything in browser afterwards?
Of course, since it has nothing to do with this app.

I disabled google search directly after I bought the phone. It runs extremely smooth especially with 4.3.

Google Search app is just for the widget, google now and all of the background stuff it brings - which is definitely a reason for slow devices and battery drain.

le grande magnetto
Old
Thanks Meter 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungewiss View Post
Of course, since it has nothing to do with this app.

I disabled google search directly after I bought the phone. It runs extremely smooth especially with 4.3.

Google Search app is just for the widget, google now and all of the background stuff it brings - which is definitely a reason for slow devices and battery drain.
for me it was not possible.. neither searching from web page nor from address bar. nothing happened.

Xperia SP 5303 BLACK
Xperia LWW - sold.

QBerto
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by le grande magnetto View Post
for me it was not possible.. neither searching from web page nor from address bar. nothing happened.
For me the 'Google now' icon when long tap home change to search button (a magnifier instead google logo), and then open browser in google.com.... I was using dolphin browser, maybe try this?

also, I didn't notice any improvement in perfomance disabling google search.... but I have no Google Play services drain or anything....

Drakomord
Old
Thanks Meter 37
What Google applications I can uninstall (rooted phone) ?

MCM4u
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakomord View Post
What Google applications I can uninstall (rooted phone) ?
Google Search, Gmail, Google+, almost every Google app, except if u want to download and install apps from the Play Store, it's a must to have Google Play Store and Google Play Services installed on ur phone
Devices owned: Sony Live with Walkman (bl unlocked - rooted), Sony Xperia Tablet Z (stock - rooted), Moto G (bl unlocked) and Sony Xperia SP (stock - rooted)

Drakomord
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4u View Post
Google Search, Gmail, Google+, almost every Google app, except if u want to download and install apps from the Play Store, it's a must to have Google Play Store and Google Play Services installed on ur phone
Ok thanks !