Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,193 Members 36,568 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Simple performance gain for Xperia SP

Tip us?
 
emcom
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Thumbs up Simple performance gain for Xperia SP

Hi all,

Today I have accidentially discovered something that helped my Xperia a little bit.
I started to look into its lag and performance problems after playing for a while with my wife's Motorola Moto G.
By the way, Moto G is a small miracle I'd say.

So I started to investigate for potential source of problems for Xperia. Then... I disabled the "Google search" app (yes, that one on the top of main screen). And the phone works much, much better now !

This is no problem for me as I never used this search bar. But just to confirm, maybe others could also try out if it helps them, too ? It's easily reversible.
The Following User Says Thank You to emcom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
kaushal9119
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 87
Join Date: Aug 2013
Even i did the same thing and it does really help. My phone is as smooth as it should be. Zero lags. And i love the xperia themes

Sent from my C5302 using XDA Free mobile app
 
ShinOrochiX
Old
#3  
ShinOrochiX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 263
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcom View Post
Hi all,

Today I have accidentially discovered something that helped my Xperia a little bit.
I started to look into its lag and performance problems after playing for a while with my wife's Motorola Moto G.
By the way, Moto G is a small miracle I'd say.

So I started to investigate for potential source of problems for Xperia. Then... I disabled the "Google search" app (yes, that one on the top of main screen). And the phone works much, much better now !

This is no problem for me as I never used this search bar. But just to confirm, maybe others could also try out if it helps them, too ? It's easily reversible.
Yeah, I agree, Google search (incl. Google Now) drains a lot of battery even when unused-it runs in the background. Also the Moto G is great, my bro and dad own it, I am thinking of getting it as well.
Previous Devices: Xperia X10 mini pro, Xperia X8, Xperia Live with Walkman & Xperia L.
Current: Xperia SP

Model: C5303
Android: 4.3 (stock)
Build version: 12.1.A.1.205
Kernel version: 3.4.0 (stock)
Baseband version: -20
 
le grande magnetto
Old
#4  
le grande magnetto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,264
Posts: 1,010
Join Date: Jan 2012
can you search anything in browser afterwards?
 
Ungewiss
Old
(Last edited by Ungewiss; 8th June 2014 at 11:13 AM.)
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 43
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by le grande magnetto View Post
can you search anything in browser afterwards?
Of course, since it has nothing to do with this app.

I disabled google search directly after I bought the phone. It runs extremely smooth especially with 4.3.

Google Search app is just for the widget, google now and all of the background stuff it brings - which is definitely a reason for slow devices and battery drain.
 
le grande magnetto
Old
#6  
le grande magnetto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,264
Posts: 1,010
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungewiss View Post
Of course, since it has nothing to do with this app.

I disabled google search directly after I bought the phone. It runs extremely smooth especially with 4.3.

Google Search app is just for the widget, google now and all of the background stuff it brings - which is definitely a reason for slow devices and battery drain.
for me it was not possible.. neither searching from web page nor from address bar. nothing happened.
 
QBerto
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 105
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by le grande magnetto View Post
for me it was not possible.. neither searching from web page nor from address bar. nothing happened.
For me the 'Google now' icon when long tap home change to search button (a magnifier instead google logo), and then open browser in google.com.... I was using dolphin browser, maybe try this?

also, I didn't notice any improvement in perfomance disabling google search.... but I have no Google Play services drain or anything....
 
Drakomord
Old
#8  
Drakomord's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 263
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lyon
What Google applications I can uninstall (rooted phone) ?
 
MCM4u
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 91
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dubai

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakomord View Post
What Google applications I can uninstall (rooted phone) ?
Google Search, Gmail, Google+, almost every Google app, except if u want to download and install apps from the Play Store, it's a must to have Google Play Store and Google Play Services installed on ur phone
Devices owned: Sony Live with Walkman (bl unlocked - rooted), Sony Xperia Tablet Z (stock - rooted), Moto G (bl unlocked) and Sony Xperia SP (stock - rooted)

 
Drakomord
Old
#10  
Drakomord's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 263
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4u View Post
Google Search, Gmail, Google+, almost every Google app, except if u want to download and install apps from the Play Store, it's a must to have Google Play Store and Google Play Services installed on ur phone
Ok thanks !

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Bring Back Tablet UI on KitKat

Google presented their brand new UI for tablets alongsidethe release of Android 3.0 Honeycomb back in early … more

Give Your Notification Shade a Facelift with these Modding Guides

Modification has always been one of the strong suits of Android, due in … more

Keep Track of How Much Your Car Truly Costs with Car Logbook

It’s a very well established fact that cars are expensive. In addition to … more

New Nvidia SHIELD Tablet OTA! Moto G 4G Gets Official CyangenMod 11 Nightlies – XDA Developer TV

The Nvidia SHIELD Tablet gets its … more