Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 42,378 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trading S5 for HTC M8..thoughts?

Tip us?

cadorette
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Trading S5 for HTC M8..thoughts?

Hey everybody.. Curious if anyone has used both the M8 and the S5..guy wants to trade his M8 for my S5, but just curious about anyone else's experience.
My main concerns:
Camera (is the One really that much inferior) I take a lot of pics
Speed/Fluidity (fastest and smoothest Galaxy for me yet, but TW still hits a few lag snags time to time)
Rootability (this bootloader will be locked for how long?)
Overall I love the S5 a lot, just thinking the M8 may give a better user experience? I'll miss the waterproof stuff but I baby my phones anyway, so...
Thanks for your input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 286
For you, it comes down to Camera vs. Root, and you say you take a lot of pictures.

If living without root is not killing you, I say keep the S5.

You just said you love the phone a lot. Besides think, why is the other guy willing to give up his M8 for your S5?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Remember, root is not responsible for what happens with your phone, You are.
The Following User Says Thank You to shortydoggg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eortizr
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadorette View Post
Hey everybody.. Curious if anyone has used both the M8 and the S5..guy wants to trade his M8 for my S5, but just curious about anyone else's experience.
My main concerns:
Camera (is the One really that much inferior) I take a lot of pics
Speed/Fluidity (fastest and smoothest Galaxy for me yet, but TW still hits a few lag snags time to time)
Rootability (this bootloader will be locked for how long?)
Overall I love the S5 a lot, just thinking the M8 may give a better user experience? I'll miss the waterproof stuff but I baby my phones anyway, so...
Thanks for your input!

I did the switch, could not live without root. Currently having the M8 on my 13 day of use. To be honest the M8 camera is not as bad as you'd think. Focus is super fast ans shutter speed is on par with the S5 (if not faster). In low light conditions the M8 is much better than the S5, sound quality while recording video is also a lot better than the S5, I can record inside a club and not having any distortion on the sound. Now the M8 have some issues with the camera lens been made of poor materials/coating and get scratch easily if you not take care of it and it will impact the picture quality. Sense is much smoother than TW, there is no Lag in Sense at all. One thing you might not like (I still don't) is the onscreen buttons.

So in short to answer your questions

1 - No, the camera is just fine, just don't try to zoom to much, but quality wise is on par with the S5 (aside of some over exposure issues than are fixed by flashing a modified camera apk already in the M8 forum)
2- Sense is way faster than TW hands down, (and no lag)
3- The bootloader will be lock forever, only hope is to find a vulnerability to achieve root and then you will only be able to flash TW Roms (just like the Note 3)
4- if you can get use to the onscreen buttons, is a much better experience.
Please hit 'Thanks' if I helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to eortizr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cadorette
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Awesome points. Thanks so much. I may take the plunge! I notice quite a bit of lag in my S5 (again best it ever been, but lag still) and toying with the M8 at Best Buy I noticed none at all. I couldn't slow it down even while intentionally taxing it. Thanks again

harlenm
Old
Thanks Meter 142
I had an M7, worst phone I ever had. Loved it at first, but had nothing but problems. And the camera was crap. Looked good on the phone, but any amount of zoom/cropping on a computer really shows is limitations. That is, if the pictures didn't come out pink, like all 7 devices that I ended up using.

HTC is out of their mind for staying with 4mp, and i will never buy another HTC product again after the m7 fiasco. I will probably end up buying the next nexus device anywsy(if there is a good gear 2 alternative, one of the main reasons I bought the S5).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harlenm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tomplatz
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I have both (wife has s5, i have m8). Camera quality isn't bad at all. That's the ONLY advantage the s5 has in my humble opinion. M8 better in every other regard

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to tomplatz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alewis2k12
Old
Thanks Meter 270
Same here traded S5 for M8 couldn't be happier....but both devices are the best phones out hands down....but Samsung or Att has messed up the galaxy line with locked Down phones ...HTC just has more options....and I'm loving it....

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Phone:HTC M8
Rom: Testing
Kernel: Faux

Previous Devices: Sprint S5,ATT Note 3,Htc One,Optimus LG Pro, Att Galaxy S4, Nexus 4,Iphone 5 black and white one lol, At&t Galaxy Note 2,International s3, At&t S3, At&t One X, At&t Galaxy Note, International Note, International S3, Iphone 4, At&t Skyrocket, Sprint S2, HTC Vivid, Galaxy Prevail

Sports lol: New Orleans SAINTS!!!!!!
WHO DAT NATION..

DONT FORGET THANKS BUTTON..

The Following User Says Thank You to alewis2k12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Droid2drummer
Old
Thanks Meter 166
G3. Or g2. Ive had each note 3 s4 s5 and m8..i love all. But sold them and kept g2. Next up. G3. I cant be with a company that releases a better product every couple months or so. Id go broke. But i am happy with lg. They have grown. Truly never had m7 and s5 i more or less had replaced screen for client but had it a week. I like the display. But the prime will be out soon. So this is my point. This way 6 months gives me time to buy g3 and prime s5 or whatever its called. Maybe even iphone six. Just to have and tear apart.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Droid2drummer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,158

DONATE TO ME
There is a sticky for device comparisons
Please use that for these discussions
Thanks
FNSM

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe