Hall Sensor

Search This thread

sanris

Aug 12, 2013
www.santadreams.in
I am working on a project with Hall Sensor in Samsung Galaxy S4. It works fine but the problem is i dont know how to use the sensors for realtime apps except smart sview. If you post the idea's then we can use my hall sensor class with the activity app to create variety of apps.

Also i want to know how much magnetic force needed to activate sensor. i dont want to damage my sensor with power full magnet while testing. and couple of ideas to get low power magnets from which toys suitable for this project.

Last edited:

ksenthi5

Dec 12, 2011
I am working on a project with Hall Sensor in Samsung Galaxy S4. It works fine but the problem is i dont know how to use the sensors for realtime apps except smart sview. If you post the idea's then we can use my hall sensor class with the activity app to create variety of apps.

Also i want to know how much magnetic force needed to activate sensor. i dont want to damage my sensor with power full magnet while testing. and couple of ideas to get low power magnets from which toys suitable for this project.

Hi since i am seeing you working with the hall sensor, hope you can solve or suggest whats wrong in my GTi9500 India version. the S-view display comes by itself, when i am just holding the phone in my hand[ without the actual S-view cover].

Details.
My GTi9500 is just having its own back cover, nothing extra,

when i make a call and hold the phone in my hand, i can see the call screen of the s-view mode flashing for a brief and then goes back to normal. i understand that the sensor is right below the volume button, and when i am holding this area with my hand i can see this s-view display flicker.

it also happened couple of times in app drawer screen and the stock browser screen.

my phone is complete stock, i havent rooted it and changed the rom/kernel/modem.

have run the diagnostics via *#0*# Diagmode

am seeing the sensor test results are PASS>

so how can i solve this. or is this a hardware issue and do i go for a repair?

sanris

Aug 12, 2013
www.santadreams.in
First you need to confirm whether the problem occurs when phone in a wooden table without surrounding by magnetic flux. Just find a better place with very magnetic field, etc and put in a wooden table and confirm whether it changes or not. In couple of days, i will release the hall sensor monitor. you can use it too to find it instead of looking into phone for long time.

Second, if it happens only in hand, then
if you wearing any magnet rings or other iron (may magnetized by flux), etc then remove it then operate the phone and confirm whether your problem is solved or not.

Hall Sensor, is a very sensitive sensor which is just below the volume buttons and few mm away from edge.
Hall Sensor working based on sensitive magnetic flux attraction. (not sure whether its south pole or north pole. i dont have testing magnet with pole identifications)
Hall Sensor activates automatically if the magnetic field is > xx (minimum) level. In S-View cover, its very very tiny magnet not easy to notice by novice users. so your phone may act abnormal when you using your rings, bracelets, etc.

--
if your phone works abnormally when in isolated wooden table and there is no high radiation towers near you then its hardware defect. you need to contact customer care service centre.

ksenthi5

Dec 12, 2011
First you need to confirm whether the problem occurs when phone in a wooden table without surrounding by magnetic flux. Just find a better place with very magnetic field, etc and put in a wooden table and confirm whether it changes or not. In couple of days, i will release the hall sensor monitor. you can use it too to find it instead of looking into phone for long time.

Second, if it happens only in hand, then
if you wearing any magnet rings or other iron (may magnetized by flux), etc then remove it then operate the phone and confirm whether your problem is solved or not.

Hall Sensor, is a very sensitive sensor which is just below the volume buttons and few mm away from edge.
Hall Sensor working based on sensitive magnetic flux attraction. (not sure whether its south pole or north pole. i dont have testing magnet with pole identifications)
Hall Sensor activates automatically if the magnetic field is > xx (minimum) level. In S-View cover, its very very tiny magnet not easy to notice by novice users. so your phone may act abnormal when you using your rings, bracelets, etc.

--
if your phone works abnormally when in isolated wooden table and there is no high radiation towers near you then its hardware defect. you need to contact customer care service centre.

Thanks for your feedback, lemme try this and comeback...

ksenthi5

Dec 12, 2011
Still issues

Thanks for your feedback, lemme try this and comeback...

Hi, the problem still persisted even when the phone is just in the wooden table, hence i went to service center and they changed the mother board.
[not sure whether the sensor gets changed with this], as the executives don't even have knowledge of sensors...

but with the new board also am facing the same problem.

note: i owned a S4 for three months prior to this, and was walking.using, working in the same environment. and with same environment am still there. but facing this issue only in the new phone...

what shall i do... force to get my phone replaced?????

sanris

Aug 12, 2013
www.santadreams.in
Contact customer care online and submit a complaint about malfunction of Hall sensor as well as problem persist after changing motherboard. Then go to customer care with the online complaint and ask them to replace hall sensor.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ksenthi5

Dec 12, 2011
One doubt

Contact customer care online and submit a complaint about malfunction of Hall sensor as well as problem persist after changing motherboard. Then go to customer care with the online complaint and ask them to replace hall sensor.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

As am not so novice on Hardware, when you ask me to request the service technician to change the hall sensor, even after changing the motherboard, do you mean that the Change of board doesnt constitute hall sensor change?.

is that a seperate entity

sanris

Aug 12, 2013
www.santadreams.in
As am not so novice on Hardware, when you ask me to request the service technician to change the hall sensor, even after changing the motherboard, do you mean that the Change of board doesnt constitute hall sensor change?.

is that a seperate entity

samsung replace the phone only if problem unable to resolve after changing parts several times. thats why i told you like that.

there is only three kind of problems.
1. sensors not working properly
2. sensors working properly but sensorhub ic(u805) or corresponding ic unable to process values from sensor and fail to send further.
3. environment makes the sensor work ubnormaly.

in motherboard it has most of sensors as well as ic's u805 , u807 & u600 .
in small piece of pcb in bottom have humidity and temperature sensors which feed data to the above ic's.
few sensors may not directly in motherboard and feed data to motherboard.

i just want to know few things
1. whats your exact problem ? (screen goes blank sometimes or do you see the mini window ). screen goes blank in two situations. 1) when samsung service receive DOOR_CLOSED event from hall sensor , 2) proximity sensor detect close objects and during call (by software program) it turn off display.
2. settings > My Device > Accessory > S View Cover - make sure this setting is disabled for you.
3. how you checked your hall sensor is malfunctioning ?

----------------------------------------------
To activate hallsensor

SIMPLY USE MAGNETIC SCREW DRIVER . see the snapshots

also pls send your email id to me in PM, i will send you some reference materials and circuits. so you can understand better.

Last edited:

sanris

Aug 12, 2013
www.santadreams.in
samsung replace the phone only if problem unable to resolve after changing parts several times. thats why i told you like that.

there is only three kind of problems.
1. sensors not working properly
2. sensors working properly but sensorhub ic(u805) or corresponding ic unable to process values from sensor and fail to send further.
3. environment makes the sensor work ubnormaly.

in motherboard it has most of sensors as well as ic's u805 , u807 & u600 .
in small piece of pcb in bottom have humidity and temperature sensors which feed data to the above ic's.
few sensors may not directly in motherboard and feed data to motherboard.

i just want to know few things
1. whats your exact problem ? (screen goes blank sometimes or do you see the mini window ). screen goes blank in two situations. 1) when samsung service receive DOOR_CLOSED event from hall sensor , 2) proximity sensor detect close objects and during call (by software program) it turn off display.
2. settings > My Device > Accessory > S View Cover - make sure this setting is disabled for you.
3. how you checked your hall sensor is malfunctioning ?

----------------------------------------------
To activate hallsensor

SIMPLY USE MAGNETIC SCREW DRIVER . see the snapshots

also pls send your email id to me in PM, i will send you some reference materials and circuits. so you can understand better.

see the photos to generate sviewcover door close event

Attachments

• IMG_3533.jpg
    IMG_3533.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 2,128
  • IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 2,115
  • IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 2,213

sanris

Aug 12, 2013
www.santadreams.in
sorry, i just read your first message again. your problem definetly related with hallsensor (if actually available). other wise its related to magnetic sensor. i will open my s4 and confirm you whether hall sensor is in motherboard or separated OR magnetic sensor acting as a hall sensor.

problem is only with hall sensor or sensorhub ic u805. you can also check whether the aluminium frame magnetized or not by using a iron piece. and try to turn off the S View Cover feature in my display> acc... like i mentioned in previous post.

for hall sensor testing, i almost finished my new android app, i will publish it and upload into xda soon. its running as a service+activity (b'cause. when doorcloses the activity get freezed and unable to log status. it log status again only after phone wakes. so i wrote part of sensor readings in service and display report in activity) and log the status when ever the door event raises. i mean Doorclosed/DoorOpen. and you need to open the application activity and see the report with timings and door state changes.

Last edited:

ksenthi5

Dec 12, 2011
sorry, i just read your first message again. your problem definetly related with hallsensor (if actually available). other wise its related to magnetic sensor. i will open my s4 and confirm you whether hall sensor is in motherboard or separated OR magnetic sensor acting as a hall sensor.

problem is only with hall sensor or sensorhub ic u805. you can also check whether the aluminium frame magnetized or not by using a iron piece. and try to turn off the S View Cover feature in my display> acc... like i mentioned in previous post.

for hall sensor testing, i almost finished my new android app, i will publish it and upload into xda soon. its running as a service+activity (b'cause. when doorcloses the activity get freezed and unable to log status. it log status again only after phone wakes. so i wrote part of sensor readings in service and display report in activity) and log the status when ever the door event raises. i mean Doorclosed/DoorOpen. and you need to open the application activity and see the report with timings and door state changes.

thanks, in the idea of getting my phone replaced, again i visited the service center today, and they have taken it for service. ok

Please let me know about both senor - magnetic and Hall sensor... whether these two are separated from motherboard or attached to it.

vedko

Jun 8, 2008
Hi,
the app works well as far as I can say. Just one request: would it be possible to have the closed cover turn the screen off instead of locking the phone?
With the phone lock set to password, the time delay between screen off (time out or using the button) and phone lock is not respected.
Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gylee

Aug 26, 2013

Have you released your app? I'm also curious how you receive the events from the sensor, and would be very happy if you could share the knowledge.

LuMe96

Hi,

I just stumbled across your thread searching for Hall Sensor.

Is your app available somewhere? Also, sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm not into Android dev), but does your app depend on Samsung / TW framework / API or does it work with alternative ROMS (CM, AOSP, PA,..)?

AFAIK those ROMs do not support the S-View, so if your solution is not tied to Samsung framework / API, this would probably help a lot of people (like myself) running non-Samsung ROMs on their S4, Note 3.

As for different uses, there might be plenty but a good idea, I think, would be to develop a Tasker plugin. This would open a lot of possibilities.

Thanks.

vedko

Jun 8, 2008
Hi,

Is your app available somewhere? Also, sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm not into Android dev), but does your app depend on Samsung / TW framework / API or does it work with alternative ROMS (CM, AOSP, PA,..)?

AFAIK those ROMs do not support the S-View, so if your solution is not tied to Samsung framework / API, this would probably help a lot of people (like myself) running non-Samsung ROMs on their S4, Note 3.

As for different uses, there might be plenty but a good idea, I think, would be to develop a Tasker plugin. This would open a lot of possibilities.

Thanks.

First, it's worth to mention I'm not involved in development of this app in any way.

One way to get the app is to install F-Droid, the alternate open source market. Then look for Hall Monitor.

The app doesn't depend on TW, it's developed from scratch. It definitely works on CM @ Galaxy S4 and should work on any device with magnetic sensor, but I didn't test it on any other device or ROM.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

remorema

Mar 12, 2009
Lisbon
Hall monitor 0.2.2 is great for use with cm11.

Just found it and it works great. I just think it has unneeded permissions. Other than that it's a great app.

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣

Hall sensor is not for generic use. The sole purpose of this sensor is to handle S-View cover. State of this sensor monitored in framework and there is no way to use it in 3rd party apps. Well, unless you root and hack the ROM (which is completely different story).

Th3DON

Mar 7, 2013
I have a similar kind of problem, when i turn on mobile data or when i am on a call, the S view will flash through the screen for few milliseconds.
Any idea on this guys ?

Thanks

sanris

Aug 12, 2013
www.santadreams.in
It seems to be there is no dedicated hall sensor in device. magnetic sensor seems to be acting as hall sensor. in samsung galaxy s4, the the samsung core framework update the hallsensor data file with wrong values mistakenly. for example, change the door to CLOSED state even the door is open due to tiny fluctuation in magnetic sensor reading. samsung need to change hall sensor value from OPEN to CLOSED only when strong magnetic field. may be they fix this in next update.

For now, there seems to be 5 solutions.

1. you can turn off S-VIEW in settings
2. replace your magnetic sensor
3. root the device and write-protect the file hall_data in system folder with value "CLOSED"
4. root the device and try to disable S-VIEW
5. try other non-samsung rom

Karthik

Reactions: Th3DON

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It seems to be there is no dedicated hall sensor in device. magnetic sensor seems to be acting as hall sensor. in samsung galaxy s4, the the samsung core framework update the hallsensor data file with wrong values mistakenly. for example, change the door to CLOSED state even the door is open due to tiny fluctuation in magnetic sensor reading. samsung need to change hall sensor value from OPEN to CLOSED only when strong magnetic field. may be they fix this in next update.

For now, there seems to be 5 solutions.

1. you can turn off S-VIEW in settings
    2. replace your magnetic sensor
    3. root the device and write-protect the file hall_data in system folder with value "CLOSED"
    4. root the device and try to disable S-VIEW
    5. try other non-samsung rom

Karthik
    Hi,

Thanks.

there is no proper API so far. i know how to access hall sensor (for both samsung and non-samsung phones). if any one interested we can create a plugin/api for hall sensor for developers. i dont have time to do this myself.
    Hi,
    Install f-droid (Open Source App Repository) and then search for "Hall Monitor"

Envoyé de mon SM-N9005 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Its because of the magnetization of the L1 screw near your magnrtometer. Open the back cover you might find a L1 screw. Just replace that and test for some time..

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Using non samsung roms wont help. Screen flickers and turns on... lovks in such cases..